ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #121
thump_co OP
..ouch

Oddometer: 1,924
Glad to hear someone else is having good clutch luck. I thought I had mine fixed but Spruce let me know otherwise on Sat. Still slipping at high rpm and dragging with the clutch in once it gets hot. Coming apart this week.. I'm guessing warped disc.

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:29 AM   #122
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post
Glad to hear someone else is having good clutch luck. I thought I had mine fixed but Spruce let me know otherwise on Sat. Still slipping at high rpm and dragging with the clutch in once it gets hot. Coming apart this week.. I'm guessing warped disc.
I get a slight dragging, not bad enough not to find neutral but it's there. The clutch on mine gets flogged pretty good so I've been expecting it to do the same thing any time now.
RideFreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:04 PM   #123
thump_co OP
..ouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
I get a slight dragging, not bad enough not to find neutral but it's there. The clutch on mine gets flogged pretty good so I've been expecting it to do the same thing any time now.
Unfortunately mine now drags to the point it kills the bike if you stop the rear wheel moving in anything except neutral. I could almost live with that, but the slipping clutch puts it into instant overheat on the climbs.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:38 PM   #124
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,095
I rode the bike on Sunday and forgot how much the bike can really be. However, something that has sort of caused an issue might be easily solved. First, if I don't rev the bike out on a trail for say...a mile or so...the bike will bog at really low RPM...like idle or so. Once I rev it up a few times and create a beautiful blue cloud of smoke...no problems. So it seems, and I could be wrong, the piston is loading up with unburned fuel which could be a rich condition at low RPM...right?

The other thing is, if I let the filter get at all dirty, say one day of riding, it runs like crap below 1/4 RPM. And in fact, if I run it in a dusty climate for over 40 miles (like the Poker run), it will start to sputter at low RPM's. So am I running to rich on the pilot, to rich on the air screw or is this just normal for a 2 stroke?

One more thing, when run the bike at full throttle in 1st gear...and I open it full throttle, the clutch grabs. Is there a way to fix this?
Old 04-23-2012, 12:39 PM   #125
MeterPig
Meh

Quote:
Unfortunately mine now drags to the point it kills the bike if you stop the rear wheel moving in anything except neutral. I could almost live with that, but the slipping clutch puts it into instant overheat on the climbs.

That's not right at all. I have read other places this is due to clutch basket wear.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #126
thump_co OP
..ouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
That's not right at all. I have read other places this is due to clutch basket wear.
That's what I was thinking at first, but it only starts to happen once the bike gets hot.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:58 PM   #127
MeterPig
Meh

Quote:
That's what I was thinking at first, but it only starts to happen once the bike gets hot.
Hmm...interesting.

Mine does it more when the bike is cold. It was a lot worse with the fancy motorex..but once I changed to pure ATF..that all went away.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:24 PM   #128
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,282
Quote:
I rode the bike on Sunday and forgot how much the bike can really be. However, something that has sort of caused an issue might be easily solved. First, if I don't rev the bike out on a trail for say...a mile or so...the bike will bog at really low RPM...like idle or so. Once I rev it up a few times and create a beautiful blue cloud of smoke...no problems. So it seems, and I could be wrong, the piston is loading up with unburned fuel which could be a rich condition at low RPM...right?

Yes. That could be it.
A few things could cause this besides jetting though. One that is not so obvious is the spark arrestor could be getting plugged up.
It is not the "piston" that is loading up but rather the crankcase is loading up with unburnt fuel.

The other thing is, if I let the filter get at all dirty, say one day of riding, it runs like crap below 1/4 RPM. And in fact, if I run it in a dusty climate for over 40 miles (like the Poker run), it will start to sputter at low RPM's. So am I running to rich on the pilot, to rich on the air screw or is this just normal for a 2 stroke?

Same as above, but you might also just have too fat of a pilot jet. The pilot is only for when you crack it off idle. The needle shape and position (mostly) take over from there to mid-range. What are you mixing your gas at?
Also, as the ambient temps begin to climb, there is less air and you will run richer than the same set up in the winter. I don't worry about that though and run the same jetting almost everywhere and at all times.

One more thing, when run the bike at full throttle in 1st gear...and I open it full throttle, the clutch grabs. Is there a way to fix this?
What are you saying here??
Gordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:30 PM   #129
MeterPig
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
What I meant was , when I pull the clutch in..while the bike is in gear and I put the bike to full throttle, the bike starts to grab a little bit.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:45 PM   #130
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,510
Quote:
What I meant was , when I pull the clutch in..while the bike is in gear and I put the bike to full throttle, the bike starts to grab a little bit.
Well.... Don't do that!

What you are describing is clutch drag. My 300 does it too. There will always be some amount of viscous coupling due to the oil between the plates. What oil are you running?

One of the other problems you described is also called "loading up". Running too rich causes fuel/oil to build up in the cases. Winding the engine out under load "clears" it out.

You either have a jetting issue and/or a worn carb to sort out. It shouldn't be doing that very often.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #131
MeterPig
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
Well.... Don't do that!

What you are describing is clutch drag. My 300 does it too. There will always be some amount of viscous coupling due to the oil between the plates. What oil are you running?

One of the other problems you described is also called "loading up". Running too rich causes fuel/oil to build up in the cases. Winding the engine out under load "clears" it out.

You either have a jetting issue and/or a worn carb to sort out. It shouldn't be doing that very often.
OK-thanks for the ideas. The carb would be odd as it's only a few years old.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #132
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,510
Quote:
OK-thanks for the ideas. The carb would be odd as it's only a few years old.
Agreed. I had this issue on my ATK until I replaced the carb. In your case, it sounds like the pilot is too rich. You may also need to drop the needled a notch or two.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #133
MeterPig
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
Agreed. I had this issue on my ATK until I replaced the carb. In your case, it sounds like the pilot is too rich. You may also need to drop the needled a notch or two.
Wait, if the pilot is too rich, how would dropping the needle affect that? I thought the needle affects the main only?
Old 04-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #134
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,329
Quote:
Wait, if the pilot is too rich, how would dropping the needle affect that? I thought the needle affects the main only?
They all overlap
RideFreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:25 PM   #135
MeterPig
Meh

OK-so how I understand it then is..this is the first step and if it doesn't cure it then look at the pilot?