User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2012, 06:48 PM   #1
Pussboy OP
Oh, nice marmot.

Oddometer: 384
Shoei Neotec work with Sena SMH10?

I am looking to get the new Shoei Neotec but I am worried that the sunshade mechanism will interfere with the SMH10 mount. Is anyone using this setup? Also, are you using the boom mic or the stick-on?

Thank You!
Old 03-11-2012, 07:58 PM   #2
ipaqpoweruser
Enjoy the Ride

Oddometer: 82
I just purchased the Neotec and have the same question. I have not been able to find any installation videos showing how the Sena SMH10 is installed on the Shoei Neotec. I am not interested in the double stick tape as it seems to fail based on reviews I read.

JL
ipaqpoweruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
trizzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
talk to rocketmoto in the vendor section. he will confirm it works neotec+smh10 work, you just need to buy the optional A302 clamp kit
trizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:36 AM   #4
Pussboy OP
Oh, nice marmot.

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzo View Post
talk to rocketmoto in the vendor section. he will confirm it works neotec+smh10 work, you just need to buy the optional A302 clamp kit
Adam hooked me up! I can't say enough about his customer service! He answered my call to RocketMoto on his cellphone, after the shop had closed! I ended up using the A302 mounting kit. It has a boom mic that mounts separate from the bluetooth unit. Very Happy with the helmet and the SMH10.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:16 AM   #5
SMURPH
Jackass

Oddometer: 393
Just received my Neotec today. What an awesome helmet!

I went from an old RF800 to a Shoei Hornet and now to the Neotec. (all size Large for those wondering about fit. I did have to spoon a bit of the forehead out on the Hornet)

As for my Sena (SMH10 Version 2) I was able to use the original clamp and it works fine. Routed the wires under the removable pads, cut some sticky-back velcro (loop/fuzzy side) to the dished out speaker areas, attached the speakers and badda-bing. Works great. Obviously the A0302 or A0304 would probably work better in getting the mic further forward but totally doable without.

The only thing I think I might alter is to increase the thickness of the velcro I installed so that the speakers are closer to my ears.

I installed the clamp as far forward as possible without interfering with the hinge.

Crappy pic...

SMURPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:39 AM   #6
RocketMoto
2 Many Motersikles

Oddometer: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMURPH View Post
Just received my Neotec today. What an awesome helmet!

I went from an old RF800 to a Shoei Hornet and now to the Neotec. (all size Large for those wondering about fit. I did have to spoon a bit of the forehead out on the Hornet)

As for my Sena (SMH10 Version 2) I was able to use the original clamp and it works fine. Routed the wires under the removable pads, cut some sticky-back velcro (loop/fuzzy side) to the dished out speaker areas, attached the speakers and badda-bing. Works great. Obviously the A0302 or A0304 would probably work better in getting the mic further forward but totally doable without.

The only thing I think I might alter is to increase the thickness of the velcro I installed so that the speakers are closer to my ears.

I installed the clamp as far forward as possible without interfering with the hinge.

Crappy pic...

Excellent!

The A0302 and A0304 accessory clamp kits are what we typically suggest for the Neotec.

You can use Velcro to space the speakers closer to your ears, but we have these spacer pads from Autocom that are just for this purpose. 1/4" (6mm) or 1/2" (12mm) thick.

Autocom | TPX Radar/Laser | Sena Bluetooth
| Hi-Power LED Lights
Shorai Battery | Techmount | Powerlet | Rowe PDM60 | Skene Design

RocketMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:36 PM   #7
hodgie441
n00b

Oddometer: 3
How about the A0303 kit with the NeoTec?

hodgie441 screwed with this post 05-02-2012 at 10:38 PM Reason: Update
hodgie441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:23 AM   #8
RocketMoto
2 Many Motersikles

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgie441 View Post
How about the A0303 kit with the NeoTec?
You can use the A0303, but it has the same mic setup at the A0301 - boom attached to the clamp.

We prefer the A0302 because the boom isn't attached to the clamp. So, you can move the clamp a bit farther back on the helmet away from the sun blocker flipper thingy, and the boom will be entirely inside the helmet.
| Hi-Power LED Lights

Old 05-04-2012, 09:24 AM   #9
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,041
Yep, I ended up using my 302 off my nolan as Adam has suggested to me. Had some volume issues. Turns out having the speakers in the Neotec speaker cutouts put them off center from my ear canal. Use some velcro spacers so fix the offset and now they are plenty loud. Amazing what a 1/4" will do.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:45 PM   #10
RocketMoto
2 Many Motersikles

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodButcher View Post
Yep, I ended up using my 302 off my nolan as Adam has suggested to me. Had some volume issues. Turns out having the speakers in the Neotec speaker cutouts put them off center from my ear canal. Use some velcro spacers so fix the offset and now they are plenty loud. Amazing what a 1/4" will do.
Exactly... 1/4" off the center of your ear canal you will lose about 50% of the volume.
| Hi-Power LED Lights

Old 05-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #11
drbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
This is the helmet, and com unit I have. So far it's great! No issues with the install.
drbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:54 AM   #12
berabi
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Question Anyone experiencing increased wind noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMoto View Post
You can use the A0303, but it has the same mic setup at the A0301 - boom attached to the clamp.

We prefer the A0302 because the boom isn't attached to the clamp. So, you can move the clamp a bit farther back on the helmet away from the sun blocker flipper thingy, and the boom will be entirely inside the helmet.
Hi Adam,

I bought one of the SMH10's when you put the group discount on here and I'm still using it now. It's lasted for just under two years on daily usage and still works awesome. I've got a couple of questions though as I've installed with the original clamp close to the front of the helmet with around half the headset/clamp overlapping the seam between the chin and main helmet components:
  • Do you think it's feasible that the wind noise I'm getting using the original clamp on the side of the helmet where the headset is installed could be due to how far forward the headset is? If so, do you think getting the A0302 might resolve this issue?
  • Also, I noticed whilst reading in to this that I missed a chance to upgrade my headset version to one that allows firmware updates for $80. I've tried to get in touch with sales@senabluetooth.com but they haven't responded to me about this. Do you know how I might be able to get a chance to take advantage of this promotion as I also understand that the new model charges via micro-USB which would be awesome as this is the same as most of my other mobile/bluetooth equipment. I've got a dual pack and am more than happy to upgrade both is available.
Is anyone else noticing increased wind noise when installing using the original clamp on the Neotec?

Just to be clear to someone reading this wondering about the products; this is a minor issue as both products are amazing quality and if you're considering a purchase; do it!

Cheers guys

Barry
berabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:11 PM   #13
ipaqpoweruser
Enjoy the Ride

SMH10 with Neotec

Just returned from a 4200 mile trip. Installed the SMH10 on a Neotec using the clamp. Still trying to find the sweat spot for speaker placement using the 1/4 in velcro tabs noted earlier in this thread. Volume was good at speeds under 65. Wind noise was louder at around 80 and volume was a little softer. I think I can make some minor adjustment yet to get the speakers in the right spot. I ride an R1150RT so it already has pretty good wind control. Also noted the wind noise in the helmet was louder if I had the top vent completely opened. I usually only opened vent half way to help control the wind noise. In any event, you are not going to get high quality music. It is background music to help pass the time. Music is great when you are at slow speeds but get softer that faster you go. I had a significant windy trip through NE, CO, UT, and NM. Even with all the wind, I enjoyed the background music. I listened to music from my ipod transmitting through a bluetooth transmitter to my SMH10 for 10-12 hours a day without running out of battery power on the SMH10. Also had my iphone paired and used it to make calls at slow speeds periodically. All in all, I am very satisfied with the helmet and SMH10.

JL
Old 05-07-2012, 03:22 PM   #14
DDT Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaqpoweruser View Post
Just returned from a 4200 mile trip. Installed the SMH10 on a Neotec using the clamp. Still trying to find the sweat spot for speaker placement using the 1/4 in velcro tabs noted earlier in this thread. Volume was good at speeds under 65. Wind noise was louder at around 80 and volume was a little softer. I think I can make some minor adjustment yet to get the speakers in the right spot. I ride an R1150RT so it already has pretty good wind control. Also noted the wind noise in the helmet was louder if I had the top vent completely opened. I usually only opened vent half way to help control the wind noise. In any event, you are not going to get high quality music. It is background music to help pass the time. Music is great when you are at slow speeds but get softer that faster you go. I had a significant windy trip through NE, CO, UT, and NM. Even with all the wind, I enjoyed the background music. I listened to music from my ipod transmitting through a bluetooth transmitter to my SMH10 for 10-12 hours a day without running out of battery power on the SMH10. Also had my iphone paired and used it to make calls at slow speeds periodically. All in all, I am very satisfied with the helmet and SMH10.

JL
How does the camp bracket fit into the shell...I have the Interphone model and the space is too tight for any inner bracket to slide in there...no issues with the Sena unit bracket?
DDT Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #15
ipaqpoweruser
Enjoy the Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDT Rider View Post
How does the camp bracket fit into the shell...I have the Interphone model and the space is too tight for any inner bracket to slide in there...no issues with the Sena unit bracket?
DDT,
I found a spot slightly behind the inner visor lever where the inner bracket slid into the helmet between the outer shell and the inner foam liner. Putting the cheek pads back on takes a little patience to get the edge into the helmet. Otherwise everything works well. I used the Sena bracket with the removable mic so I could mount the mic stem in between the check pad and helmet.

JL