User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2012, 02:55 AM   #1
Tracker7 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Tracker Build

I am in the early stages of planning a Tracker build. It helps pass the time and keep my brain occupied while I take care of business half way around the world from home in a high, dry, landlocked place that time has forgotten.

I won't call it a Street Tracker because I expect much more than that out of it. I picture one bike that does it all. From slamming canyons, to commuting, riding backcountry fire roads, a little off-road in the desert or two-up day touring with someone special.

I focused on the following priorities in choosing a base motor. It must be a twin, between 600cc and 900cc, with readily available parts, have a broad strong power band, be capable of 70HP or more with a little work, be relatively lightweight, have a good track record of reliability and not be crazy expensive.

To this point I am looking closely at the Aprilia 750, BMW 800, Suzuki SV650 and the venerable Yamaha XS650. None are perfect, but I think all could do the job well. I'm very interested in feedback.
Tracker7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:12 AM   #2
clevishook
stevedore

Oddometer: 1,515
check out the "Some assembly required" thread (above) project with a Ninja 650 engine into a Versey frame. Could be adapted to tracker format.
clevishook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:44 AM   #3
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
Of course the OP hasn't specified what kind of tracker he is referring too....

and so on and so forth....
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
pregrid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
If you're interested check out my XS650 build here:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7059

I wouldn't call it a canyon carver but ut's a blast to ride. If nothing else it might give you some ideas or answer some questions if you go that direction.

Dave
pregrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:57 PM   #5
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevishook View Post
check out the "Some assembly required" thread (above) project with a Ninja 650 engine into a Versey frame. Could be adapted to tracker format.
Depending on how much building you want to do, the Ninja 650R or the naked ER-6N are modern, 70hp parallel twins. You could put the quasi-aggressive Avon Distanzias and a different headlight and tail on it and call it good.

Lose the radiator cowl, put on rearsets and ditch the heavy passenger supports, and get one of the race-plastic ninja 650r solo rear seats.

Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #6
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by pregrid View Post

I wouldn't call it a canyon carver but ut's a blast to ride. If nothing else it might give you some ideas or answer some questions if you go that direction.

Dave
FUCKER!!!!!

Just read your thread top to bottom. I was doing fine until I saw this:

I have a pair of Daytona Specials that I've had for about ten years and not done much with, other than keep running. I have a real nice one with 3,000 miles on it, and a less-than-perfect one with DG heads like pictured that may just get sacrificed on the altar of Omar-Tracker-ness.

Sweet build, BTW. You're an inspiration to us all. .

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #7
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker7 View Post
To this point I am looking closely at the Aprilia 750, BMW 800, Suzuki SV650 and the venerable Yamaha XS650. None are perfect, but I think all could do the job well. I'm very interested in feedback.
How about a Hawk.

Have JD Hord build a motor. The HP level you're looking at would be easy and reliable. Single-sided swingarm. Of course, if you're wanting spokes, this may not work.

More inspiration here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
Is that a Kawi promo bike?
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:15 PM   #8
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Yep. They've done well in their WERA class in previous years, I think they are showing off some pieces that fit on the new model (new frame for '12).
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:15 AM   #9
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,359
Quote:
I picture one bike that does it all. From slamming canyons, to commuting, riding backcountry fire roads, a little off-road in the desert or two-up day touring with someone special.

I focused on the following priorities in choosing a base motor. It must be a twin, between 600cc and 900cc, with readily available parts, have a broad strong power band, be capable of 70HP or more with a little work, be relatively lightweight, have a good track record of reliability and not be crazy expensive.
That was exactly my requirement 4 years ago, apart from the HP part...I'd take just whatever power the engine could give, stock or modified. I found an airhead Mono the best candidate. some may question the R65, but the build was required to do lots of gravel roads, and in my experience power is wasted in wheelspin - a lower powered bike hooks up better and goes faster. Anyway, the R65 is down 2hp on an R80. I have small panniers for it, and can convert to stock with BMW panniers in 30 minutes, a real dual sport. My wife likes it too....it was her bike to start with.

motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:32 AM   #10
Tracker7 OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by motu View Post
That was exactly my requirement 4 years ago, apart from the HP part...I'd take just whatever power the engine could give, stock or modified. I found an airhead Mono the best candidate. some may question the R65, but the build was required to do lots of gravel roads, and in my experience power is wasted in wheelspin - a lower powered bike hooks up better and goes faster. Anyway, the R65 is down 2hp on an R80. I have small panniers for it, and can convert to stock with BMW panniers in 30 minutes, a real dual sport. My wife likes it too....it was her bike to start with.

Thanks for the idea and comments. I appreciate it. looks like a rock solid bike. Do you have to worry at all about rock damage?
Old 03-09-2012, 02:34 AM   #11
Tracker7 OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
How about a Hawk.

Have JD Hord build a motor. The HP level you're looking at would be easy and reliable. Single-sided swingarm. Of course, if you're wanting spokes, this may not work.

More inspiration here.

Thanks, I'll check out JD Hord.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:37 AM   #12
Tracker7 OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by pregrid View Post

Dave
Are you familiar with Lazer racing in San Leandro? One of my biggest concerns is to keep this bike down to about 325# dry, so I may have to go with a racing frame. Also prefer a mono shock or high end dual shocks to the more vintage short travel standard frame. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:44 AM   #13
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,359
Quote:
Do you have to worry at all about rock damage?
I didn't really build it to go off road, and gravel is fine. Off road has just been mud or grass...the one time I took it on a road with large rocks none hit anything.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote