Old 09-28-2012, 07:22 PM   #571
Cdaledude
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfetz View Post
+100000

One more day !!! Keep it up !!
You know we are all watching and cheering you on Jason!
Old 09-28-2012, 07:43 PM   #572
zenjen
Go Outside

Oddometer: 2,634
Looks like Jason made it through SS16, only 18k to go.
zenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #573
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
A lot of great interviews in this video. Jason is interviewed starting at 4:19.
JayBo is the 2nd interview
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:05 PM   #574
russbryant
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,045
Jason,

Looks like you wicked it up a bit on today's stages. I bet you were grinning from ear to ear all day
We want to hear all about this amazing adventure after you decompress.

Congrats on a superb job !!!!

Russ
Tucson
russbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:11 PM   #575
ferals5
865+652

Oddometer: 999
leg 7 SS17 Coronation South

only 10mins covering positions 4 through 8
Overall
Pos No Crew Vehicle Total
1 2 SMITH Jake
Honda
CRF450X
24:56:25
2 7 STRANGE Warren
Honda
CRF450X
25:27:11
3 17 INGRAM Ryan
KTM
27:36:56
4 8 CUMMINGS Brett (D)
Honda
CRF450X
28:39:18
5 25 NAPPY Paul
Honda
CRF450X
28:40:37
6 20 CHITTICK Jamie
Honda
450X
28:42:37
7 9 SCHWARZ David
Husaberg
FE570
28:48:28
8 51 VERNON Chad
Yamaha
WR450
28:49:25
9 23 HENLEY Guy
Honda
CRF450X
29:06:08
10 73 HEUCHAN Michael
Husaberg
FE570
29:57:09
11 16 VAN HEERTUM Melchior (D)
KTM
KTM530 EXC
32:02:58
12 26 BOUWKNEGT John
KTM
450 Rally
32:29:24
13 41 BOUNDS Craig
Suzuki
DRZ400E
32:48:53
14 77 YOUNG Ben
Husaberg
FE570
33:35:24
15 46 RISCHITELLI Damien
Husaberg
FE570
33:54:02
16 19 ERCEG Ivan
Honda
CRF450X
34:28:11
17 18 LUCCHESE Manuel
Husaberg
FE450
34:44:21
18 3 FAGGOTTER Rod
Yamaha
WR450F
34:53:42
19 31 JONES Tamsin
Suzuki
DRZ400E
37:15:25
20 57 McKIE Stephen
Husaberg
FE570
37:23:50
21 22 GRUNDY Glen (D)
Honda
CRF450
38:00:25
22 47 WINTERBURN David
Yamaha
WR250R
39:21:06
23 21 BELTRAMI Francesco
Honda
450X
40:07:20
24 66 BLIGHT David
Husaberg
FE570
46:00:27
25 38 ADAMS Jason
BMW
R65
47:45:21
26 36 SCOBLE Russell (D)
Honda
CRF450X
50:31:14
27 1 SMITH Todd (D)
Honda
CRF450X
50:58:27

and a few more retirements since I last checked
5 DIENER, Shane
2012 Yamaha
WR450F
Knee Injury
6 FISH, Matthew
2012 KTM
500EXC
Withdrawn
10 JOHNSON, Michael (D)
2012 Honda
CRF450X
Injury
12 VAN GINKEL, Alex (D)
2011 KTM
450EXC
Injury
14 BENSTEAD, Duncan
2012 Yamaha
WR450F

15 SCHIMMEL, Simon
2009 KTM
450EXC
Withdrawn
27 DRYSDALE, Ian
2010 Husqvarna
TE510
Badly twisted Knee
40 STRANGE, Vernon (D)
2012 Yamaha
WRF450

2012 KTM
500EXC

After eight incredible days, the Australasian Safari has been contested and won

Date: 29-Sep-2012
MOTO Jake Smith Honda, Warren Strange Honda, Ryan Inghram KTM
AUTO Hederics/Weel - Holden Colorado, Herridge/Hill - Subaru Forrester, Park/Newbon - Toyota Hilux
QUAD Paul Smith Honda, Young - KTM, Brown - Honda
Dakar Challenge winner Brett Cummings

A beach dash along the Indian Ocean from Kalbarri to Geraldton in Western Australia was the finale of the eight-day off-road motorsport marathon Australasian Safari, Australias toughest motorsport event.

Every competitor who crossed the finish line is a winner for completing a gruelling eight days of competition covering approximately 3500 competitive kilometers off-road on beaches, through sand dunes, over creeks, rocky riverbeds, claypans and cattle stations.

Moto

Jake Smith, 24, from NSW won the Australasian Safari moto division as he did in 2009. He held the lead for the entire event on his Honda CRF450X and finished with a comfortable 31 minutes to spare.

With brother Todd Smith, last years Safari moto winner, they have a combined seven podiums in seven events in WA on three different marques - Honda, Yamaha and KTM.

Jake said he was still feeling really good after the eight days of racing and was relieved it was all over. Its never over til its over so I was taking it easy to get through the cool beach stages and cross the finish line. Having won last in 2009 its a really good feeling to win again, he said.

WAs Warren Strange, 47, is no stranger to Safari and he rode his Dakar-built Honda CRF450X to finish convincingly in second place, one hour 39 minutes ahead of his nearest rival.

Im really happy that an old guy like me can do this! I gave up motocross riding when these guys around me were kids!

Ive tried to do quite a lot of events this year in my preparation for Dakar so Im really pleased it has paid off.

Warrens second place win was also a huge personal achievement for him, having had leukemia for 20 years. Ive been able to take time off work to train and now Im following my passion, lifes too short, he said.

Ryan Inghram, 33, also from WA, achieved a third place podium finish on a KTM450 despite this being his first attempt at the Australasian Safari.

Im feeling pretty good with this being my first Safari, its the longest event Ive contested. It was harder than I thought, a tough week. The stages were good, the longer the better for me. The bikes been great to me too.

David Schwarz, 42, from South Australia, on Husaberg FE450, has finished in the top ten of the last ten Australasian Safaris. This is a huge achievement for this marathon event. No other competitor has managed more than four and in 2012 he finished seventh outright.

Ten years of racing is a long time. Im tired but happy. This years stages were great, I really enjoyed it, it ranks right up there with the other Safaris Ive done. The variation in the terrain and the styles of riding were great and there were some true Safari stages. It was great to go somewhere new.

The winners of five of the last six Australasian Safaris have won on Honda bikes.

Auto

John Hederics (NSW) and Kees Weel (Qld) in the Holden Colorado finished a comfortable one hour 24 minutes ahead of their nearest rivals and drove a steady race over the past eight days. Hederics holds the record for most Australasian Safari wins on a moto and in an auto.

Hederics is arguably the events most experienced competitor. He has won six out of seven Safari attempts on a moto and four out of seven attempts in an auto. It is Weels second win as a navigator and the fourth win for the car.

Hederics said he was happy, relieved and glad to be back.

I had to rush back for the footy today to watch Sydney! We held the lead for three days and had it to lose. Driving conservatively is sometimes harder than going fast.

Ive been on loads of Safaris as a competitor and as support, this is by far the best course. The difference in terrain and the variances have been really good. The organisation is good and there are experienced guys running the show and they know whats required.

The second place win for West Australians Rob Herridge and Sam Hill was a huge achievement. Their Subaru Forester was entered in the Production Class, meaning the car had very few modifications. They finished an impressive one hour and 39 minutes ahead of third place holders and with their service crew managed to keep the car on track for the eight days.

Im feeling pumped. Weve been trying not to celebrate for three days because its not over til its over. It went well beyond our expectations, not only did we win a few stages, we came second outright. Its a testament to Subaru cars. Were wrapped.

Veteran off-road racers of more than 40 years, Victorians Reg Owen and Russel Cairns, placed third in the autos, a well-deserved position after competing in an impressive 15 Australasian Safaris.

Reg said it felt great. We had to work for it. We were pushing quite hard today but 122 (Park/Newbon) made the bigger mistake. They were pushing as well. This event has been tops. They have got it 100 percent right. The tracks were great, they were marked well and it has made a big difference.

Quad

Victorian Paul Smith, 35, won the Australasian Safari convincingly from start to finish on his Honda TRX700XX. He has contested each Australasian Safari since quads were introduced five years ago and won in 2010.

He said he was relived and stoked. Especially after last years stuff up and the helicopter ride to hospital with a broken leg, Im really glad to be on top. In true Safari form, the event had to throw something at me, and in the last three kilometers I hit a sheep. It was OK and ran away.

I loved the Gascoyne region for Safari, the stages were awesome pure evil! Its the least troubles Ive ever had on the event and its a credit to the guys who built the bike. Im really happy, next stop Dakar! Smith said.

Dakar Challenge

South African rider Brett Cummings (29) won the Dakar Challenge in his first marathon event.

Im feeling happy to get through it, it was unknown pressure for me especially yesterday getting a 45-minute penalty. I made some stupid mistakes today, I went too slow in the sand and had a big crash in the second stage my only crashes of the event have been today!

Ive liked the organisation of Australasian Safari and the routes. Ive learnt so much coming out of this race. Ive had some great pointers from Jake and Todd (Smith) and Im looking forward to next time.

Winning the Dakar Challenge means it will be easier for us to get sponsors, it lightens the load on the pockets. I was uncertain of how I would go on a multi day event and Im so happy Ive managed to maintain pace over the seven days.

115 competitors started the Australasian Safari last Saturday (21 September) and after a Prologue and seven legs there were 92 competitors crossed the finish line today.

The Australasian Safari, from 21 to 29 September 2012, is an eight-day endurance race that sees competitors travel mainly off-road tracks through the outback of Western Australia. The event is known as one of the toughest and most challenging motorsport events in the world. This years course was approximately 3500km through the mid west of Western Australia.

ferals5 screwed with this post 09-29-2012 at 12:56 AM Reason: add news from safari site
ferals5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:39 AM   #576
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,390
Jay,

Ya pushed that airhead 2 1/2K in your underoo's to finish!!!

You fucking rule!

I bet it was easy compared to push'n your R100.Hey remind me to get your autograph next time we go for a ride.

Safe trip home.

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:59 AM   #577
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,391
Way to go Jason!!!

Really proud of you man! I can't wait to hear the stories!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljockey View Post
None of us are exceptionally skilled riders (excepting when I'm drunk, then I'm fcking quick).
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:19 AM   #578
MZcountryboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,454
All class, that guy is all class.

I have this horrid mental image in my head now........Stagey, a super hot R65 and the producers of a BVD commercial dicsussing poses pushing the bike during the re-creation.

Way to go! Congrats!
MZcountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:53 AM   #579
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZcountryboy View Post
All class, that guy is all class.

I have this horrid mental image in my head now........Stagey, a super hot R65 and the producers of a BVD commercial dicsussing poses pushing the bike during the re-creation.

Way to go! Congrats!
The desert BVD collection by Calvin Klein.

"When its to hot to ride,push!"

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:29 AM   #580
The Shred
Airventurer

Oddometer: 425
Team Airhead
The Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:32 AM   #581
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,069
I knew it!!!! I was on to something with the ART underwear thing a few months back!!! Way to go Jason!!! Super proud to ride an airhead!!!! I'm assuming you're deep in a jack and coke right now....you certainly earned it!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:12 AM   #582
jonnykilo
Traveller

Oddometer: 205
Congrats

Well done Jason. Can't wait to hear all about it!
jonnykilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:00 AM   #583
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,990
Well done to all the guys,

but especially

Jason on the that monster,
Brett - on your Dakar Challenge and 4th
John (Jaybo) on you outstanding, trouble free run.
South Africans Glen and Guy,
and Manuel for finishing despite everything.

It was superb to follow you all.
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #584
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,347
Well that was just about as amazing an experience as they get.

Thanks for the support along the way, guys, I feel privileged in a big way.

Im also shocked, awed, humbled and touched by the Caldecott award. I dont even know how to respon to that, other than its now one of my most treasured achievments.

I was bummed to sit on the bike for the last time this morning before loading it up... Not sure i'll get the chance again to hear it roar. This was an expensive adventure, and Paul would prefer a rider who was better at putting power on the ground than I. I need to learn more about suspension, and find a faster pace. But everytime I do something new its more experience i didnt have before, so i'm not disappointed. I never did figure out how to ride the rear wheel with throttle properly.
Im grateful for the support and the opportunity I've been afforded, and I just love the feeling between start control and finish control. I dunno whats next but im really looking forward to it.
As a lot of you guys know the other competitors are one of the best reasons to come do this. I made a lot of new friends. I wont bother naming names because they were all important.

Anyway thanks a lot for following, and now im going to make a list of stuff i broke in the last week that is going to make me broke till Christmas, Lol!

Stagehand screwed with this post 09-30-2012 at 02:00 AM Reason: Sperring ellors
Stagehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:28 PM   #585
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,930
well done stagehand you deserved it
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote