Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #1
Thnks4alltheFsh OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Trip suggestions 1 week starting from Virginia (maybe NE or SE)

Hey everyone. This is kind of a vague post, and I'll probably catch some flack for it, but I'm trying to plan a trip in the last week of September. I've done one tour before, a week around Scotland on a rented R1100RT, but never in the US. I'm starting from Virginia and I'll be on an R1100s, so no dirt and mileage should be reasonable, no marathon days. I only have a week. I'm planning mostly camping but maybe a hotel night or two. I was considering either heading to the northeast (Maine maybe as final destination) if not too cold that time of year, or southeast ending in SC or Georgia. I'm looking for suggestions and advice on what is reasonable to expect that time of year. Any advice would be appreciated. I have done some searches, but I'd like to hear what you guys would have to say.
Thanks.
Thnks4alltheFsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:14 PM   #2
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Maine and South Carolina seem like marathon days to me...

Presumably you've been to Deals Gap region and Motorcycle Playground region already and looking for something further. What part of VA are in?

I would recommend exploring further reaches of WVA and Kentucky.
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:59 AM   #3
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,865
As you don't specify much as to where you've been in VA yet I can say that you are leaving behind some of the best riding to be found anywhere , & not so far away! see: www.visitvirginiamountains.com for several routes that originate in southern VA near Marion,VA off I-81. Click on "trails" for MC trails at the top of the home page.
Having a week you can combine those rides with other great roads in connection with them going into western NC,eastern TN,eastern KY & WV. If you want more info PM me. A week is about right to enjoy that area & surroundings. If you want to cover more ground then it will be a "drive by" trip with more "i've been there, seen that" moments but definitely not the roads for MC's I'm pointing you toward!
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
Thnks4alltheFsh OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Appreciate the input. I'm in Charlottesville and I've done a fair bit of exploring around here. For various reasons (personal life and work related)I feel the need to get out of the area, you know, change of scenery. I'd like the KY and WVa suggestions except that I grew up in central KY. I haven't done many of the roads by bike, but I have a lot of experience there in small japanese cars. WVa is an interesting option, though. I've mainly been on I64 when going through WVa except to snowshoe or rafting.

I was kind of thinking about 1 or 2 high mileage days to get to another region and then exploring for several days before I come back. I have basically 8 days total to do this.
Thnks4alltheFsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
4PawsHacienda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
In one moderately long day or a pleasant day & a half you could make it thru Buffalo NY and into Canada for a quick look around and tour the region. Whole area around the lakes is small towns with lots of farming, mainly fruits with a grape concentration. Nice little wine country in NY, PA, and Canada.
Prices moderate, Niagara Falls good for a drive by, weather ok that time of year. Upstate NY great place to wander, central PA fun - Falling Water worth a look-see.
Out of the way enough for traffic not to be too bizarre.

WVA fantastic on a bike, nowhere on east coast better.
4PawsHacienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:20 AM   #6
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,865
If not the area I suggested before I'd head for upstate NY & wander in those mtns.;Canada's great but a stretch to see/do much in 1 week. Maine in the mtns. is another thought.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #7
TarmacSurfer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
How about the adirondack mountains? should be able to get up there in a day. Upstate NY is really cool. I've done western NY up 219 towards Niagara Falls, that was fine but I heard adirondack mountains are cool.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:09 AM   #8
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,610
camp at Blue Ridge MC campground on NC276 north of the parkway. from there you'll have a day trip to deals gap/cherohala area. another day can take you south on 276 into brevard, west to Rosman and then south again on 28 into south carolina. more west will put you in the georgia mountains. another day north of BRMC can take you to Hot Springs, roan mountain or shady valley. Closer to you in Virgina is Willville MC campground. From there are a lot of good local twisty roads--hwy 8, squirrell spur, 58 to damascus, burks garden...