User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #1
stripple OP
Runnin' Hard

Oddometer: 603
Charlotte NC -to- Portland Or

Starting Sept. 5th a friend and I are going to ride his two bikes from Charlotte to Portland, as he is moving back to the left coast.

We have about 10 days (give or take). Neither of us are very familiar with anything east of Minnesota. So, we have been working on a route, and we have decided to slab it mostly from Charlotte to Minneapolis. Doing long days on the slab so that we can get off onto the highways once we get to Minnesota / South Dakota. once we are that far west, he and I both are very familiar with routes that we would want to take. We are planning on the following:
Charlotte to Louisville
Louisville to Chicago
Chicago to Minneapolis
Then over to rapid city area and all the cool things there. At that point the idea is to wind through Wy and Montanna & Idaho back into Oregon. We are planning on slabbing in the east to save time so that we have more time in the west.

Here's What I'm wondering:

What wonderful things are we going to be flying by that we should be riding? I'm sure there's a whole bunch of them, I just have zero experience in that region. I would hate to miss too much awesome stuff. What is a must see/ride in that region?

Thank you sirs!
Old 08-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #2
k12lts
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
There is so much to see in that area it's hard to decide. I covered some of it on the way to the BMW rally in Salem, Or last month.

If you're near Missoula, MT look at US 12 over Lolo Pass.

US 12 is nice all the way thru Walla Walla to the Columbia River.

Riding the Columbia River is nice too. When you get to Hood River go south around Mt Hood, then back up to Portland.

1981 BMW R100RS
2006 KLR 650
k12lts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
stripple OP
Runnin' Hard

Oddometer: 603
Thank you, Andy.

I was actually looking for roads east of Minnesota. I am very familiar with the western portion of the country, and have some good routes in mind once we hit South Dakota.

I love me some Lolo Pass.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
k12lts
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Sorry, just re-read your original post.

Not much to see in Illinois but I hate Chicago. Anytime I go north I take the extra 30 minutes to take I74from Indianapolis to Bloomington then 39 to Rockford to avoid the city.

If you have time, Churchill Downs and the Kentucky Derby Museum in Louisville and the Indianapolis Speedway and 500 Museum in Indy are worth the trip.
1981 BMW R100RS
2006 KLR 650
k12lts is offline   Reply With Quote