User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #136
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,156
Just got back today ...

... from two days (first weekend in October) riding with a fellow inmate through segments in eastern Nevada and western Utah. No mud, and only a couple of places in eastern Nevada's Antelope Range where there was erosion damage. In the Antelope Range, an optional segment, the eastern approach to Rock Springs Pass--highest point on the entire Pony Express route-- was eroded, loose and rocky up to the pass, but all was good thereafter; and there are places on the southern incline to the crest of the range that also are eroded, rocky and loose, but not so much. Everything else was easily rideable. No problems otherwise ... We rode every road in the Antelope Range (but for one short connector), and through the Silver Island Mtns., and found all in good shape for an autumn outing. All junctions in the Antelope Range remained obvious, and all destination/mileage signs in place at every junction. Loaded with camping gear, extra fuel and water, I had no problem anywhere on my KLR, although the aforementioned eroded spots had the ol' pucker thing going on (thus, no pics of that!).

There was no gas at JP General, the tiny general store south of Ibapah, near the UT-NV line, that advertises that it carries fuel. But we had extra. Don't plan on finding fuel there, but buy it if he has it.

A reminder: The route does not go to Goshute, the village on the Goshute Indian Reservation. If you end up there, where the road ends, you went the wrong way.

Some pics:

byways screwed with this post 11-18-2012 at 08:35 AM Reason: fix dead photo links
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #137
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
That's awesome Tony! I wish I was still out there riding. You live in a great area.

John
Old 10-07-2012, 06:20 PM   #138
Blaise W OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
That first shot is coming down from the Silver Island Mtns unless I'm sadly mistaken. A fun road! Next year I'm back out there for a month or two, doing some exploring. 'Just can't get enough...

Ken
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:49 AM   #139
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by byways View Post
... from two days riding with a fellow inmate through segments in eastern Nevada and western Utah. No mud, fortunately. But in the Antelope Range, an optional segment, the eastern approach to Rock Springs Pass was badly eroded, loose and rocky up to the pass; and there are places on the southern incline to the crest of the range that also are eroded, very rocky and loose, but not as bad.

Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:03 PM   #140
byways
byways

Publication of FW route file

Dear Cellblock FW:

Just a friendly reminder if I may that the route file that I provide for this journey is copyrighted by me. From time to time I find portions of it--even all of it--published and distributed without my prior knowledge or consent, and I just hate contacting folks who mean no harm asking them delete the document.

10,000 thanks!
Old 10-13-2012, 10:53 AM   #141
byways
byways

Google Earth overview

I've renamed the route "Heart of the West Adventure Route," since it takes in portions of six Western states while "Forever West" is tied to Wyoming.

byways screwed with this post 12-20-2012 at 08:31 PM Reason: update
Old 12-15-2012, 08:20 PM   #142
hiflynbrd
I know that shortcut

Oddometer: 90
Versys rider

Not sure which one of you guys was riding the Versys but I have one just like it and I'm wondering how it did on the trip and what you would have done different in the setup.
04 Ducati 999S, 12 Versys, 08 Can-Am Spyder-SOLD, thank God, , 93 ST1100ABS 132K, 99 ST1100ABS project cafe racer, 93 KLR650, 04 XR650R street legal, 04 CRF500R street legal, 98 KTM 620 Supermoto street legal-SOLD at the suggestion of Honolulu PD, 04 DRZ400S, 82 Turbo Seca (x2), -placed in a good home, 04, ~78 Yambulzukisaki hybrid, and oh so many others
hiflynbrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:03 AM   #143
byways
byways

Forest Road 550 in Wyoming

Tribe:

Riders over the last couple of seasons have encountered closures of Forest Road 550 in Medicine Bow-Routt National Forest--part of this route south of Encampment, Wyo.--due to logging ("treatment," they call it) of "hazard" trees killed by pine bark beetles. That required re-routing.

I received word yesterday, Dec. 18, 2012, from Medicine Bow-Routt National Forest in Wyoming that hazard-tree logging on Road 550 is complete, "so closures and/or delays should not be an issue on this road."

The road passes Hog Park Reservoir south of Encampment, Wyo.

Just FYI, removal of hazard trees will occur on roads 409 and 496, roughly in this vicinity, this winter and may continue into the riding season.

For info about roads 550, 409 and 496, call the forest's Saratoga office @ (307) 326-5258.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:28 PM   #144
byways
byways

PA rider needs partner

If anyone is planning to do this ride and needs a partner, an inmate from PA is looking for someone to ride with.

Post 109 here ...
Old 08-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #145
Airbornexts912
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Long way up

3 of us are going from Los Alamos NM to Yellowstone using this route mid Sept. if anyone else is interested let us know 505-412-5497
Airbornexts912 is offline   Reply With Quote