Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2012, 09:46 AM   #16
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaisew View Post
D606's have always treated me right, and this trip has very little pavement as far as I can tell. I get 3K out of the rear on my WR250R, but the Husky has much more horsepower, and one has to be judicious with the throttle hand or the tire gets thin pretty quick. I'll just keep an eye one it and if need be will order a tire and have it shipped ahead. MC Superstore is very fast on tires! This is probably not the trip to go experimenting. The Heidi's or Mefo's sound interesting, but as One Less sez, NFG in sand or mud. With luck we won't have a lot of that, but we are at the end of the rainy season and who knows.......

One thing I have done is to get some boots that are in theory at least more water resistant. I got oh so tired of wet feet on the TAT. In fact, I lost my good humor completely at least once that way. But, when you go swimming with full gear I don't suppose any boot will keep your feet dry. I'll settle for little to no leaks on the stream crossings. My Gaerne Balance's took at least two full days of sunshine to dry, and that was without my feet being in them. Trying the Sidi Adventure Rain's this time. Fingers crossed.
Hi Ken, found your trip plan thread here...

Two things...

Goretex socks. That's what I'm gonna do for British Columbia. Take my favorite TCX mx boots and wear the socks if it rains. Beats the hell out of expensive gortex boots that are hotter than hell in summer. We do the same thing for hiking boots. They're expensive but a helluva lot less than new boots.

Tires - talk to Johngil this weekend about the K60. He's got one on his TE and thinks it's pretty good. To me, it's the ONLY tire for a long distance trek. Traction is decent, road manners good, and it's got the longevity. They are $155 shipped from Revzilla and they have them in stock. Stick with an MT21 or other good road knobby up front.

Sounds like a great trip!
Old 03-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #17
Blaise W OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
I will definitely talk to Johngil next week. Another friend used the K60 on his F800GS over the CDT, including a lot of road miles in Canada. He said they wore like iron and traction was decent as long as you were not talking sand or mud, but that the sidewall was an absolute b itch when changing tires or fixing a flat. Since we are going to trailer to CO, and back home, I just need a tire to go 3000 miles. We will be doing quite a few miles in DV and I am going to measure the knob height before and after the ride. That should give me a good indication of how the 606 is going to hold up.

As to sox, are you talking about Seal Skins? I've thought about those, but never tried 'em.
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:27 PM   #18
Blaise W OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon View Post
Hi Ken! I'm wanting to do this ride myself later this fall. I'll be watching with interest how your trip goes. Wish I could've joined you guys in Big Bend. Some of us still have to make a living though

John
John, move your trip up to mid August after Gunnison and join us! It's going to be a great trip!
Old 03-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #19
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,287
Quote:

As to sox, are you talking about Seal Skins? I've thought about those, but never tried 'em.
User reports say no on Seal Skins, yes on Gore-Tex. REI has them but I've found them online for less. I have not bought a pair yet but they are on my short-list. I think they're the ticket. I'm betting my trip to SE Alaska and BC will see some rain and I don't want to buy $400 waterproof boots for that trip.

I have gortex road boots and they are hot unless it's below 70 outside. In summer my feet swelter. (Sidi Sport Rains). I was going to buy a better pair of hiking boots this spring and ended up doing a TON of research and found out my non-waterproof lightweight hikers were the hot ticket. For spring, a pair of gore-tex socks will keep water out. Also good for spring run off where trails have multiple creek crossings.

I found these biker ones here for $50: http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...paign=datafeed

And REI has the Rocky Gore-Tex ones for $60 but I think you can get them for under $50 at other online retailers: http://www.rei.com/product/688268/ro...versocks-socks

EDIT: I was doing some more searching for these socks and find that atomic moto has them from Klim but they're $100. OUCH!! They are the full boot height ones though.
http://www.atomic-moto.com/klim-cove...ock_p_110.html

browneye screwed with this post 03-20-2012 at 03:29 PM
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:49 AM   #20
Janet from Joisey
Bad Kitty

Oddometer: 666
Trip sounds fantastic, Ken!

I just replaced at 1200 mi. the rear toasted Karoo on the TE630 with a K60 from Revzilla. I always try to use a TT (tube-type) style to make bead breaking as doable as possible. Had a lot of luck using the easy-peasy bead-breaking technique in this thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=458452. The portable trail stand sold in vendors forum works well on a lot of bikes in the field.
A great hint I got from my partner on drying boots is to stuff them with scrunched-up newspapers/real estate brochures you can pick up when you get into town.
I agree that the 606 is the way to go on this trip. We used 606's for 1300-mi Baja (dirt bike) trip this winter with heavy-duty tubes in the tires and carried regular (lighter) tubes in the packs. Had no flats in our group, but were able to help another rider we came up on down there.
Thanks for posting up on Tony Huegel's services.
Look forward to hearing about your trip!
Janet from Joisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:57 PM   #21
Blaise W OP
Studly Adventurer

Planning continues for this little ride. I made the decision to go with K60 rears on both bikes, although getting one in the right size for the WRR is a problem. None in the states right now. With mostly gravel and some pavement, I think the K60 will be OK. We will just have to deal with any sand or mud that comes along, hopefully in limited amounts. Going all the way on one tire seems to be smart, at least at this point. A new D606 up front is in the cards. Tubliss front and back as I've had very good luck with them so far. I'm still running on a 606 that I plugged in just a few minutes during my ride this Spring in Death Valley. A thorn from my camp site was the culprit. Because the thin carcas on the 606, and probably on most dual sport knobbies, there can ve a very slow leak at the plug, but it's so slow that just a few pumps every two days or so is all that's required. I've had this happen on two tires so far, front and rear, but the ease and quick fix on the trail is a real benefit, especially if it's hot you are in a tough spot for a wheel-off repair.

Our group is still two for all the way, and maybe two more for part, or maybe all. Still room for one or two more.

I'm making an effort to lighten the TE630 as much as possible and will take a shot at modifying the twin mufflers to a single using the stock left hand can. It will take a lot of cutting and welding on both mid-pipe and the can, but if it works I'll have a can that retains the manuf. and USFS approval. Spark arrestor will stay in but be modified for the larger pipe diameter. A Shoai battery is a possibility too, and the above mods will drop almost 20 pounds from up top.

I mounted my new-to-me Garmin 267C in a Touratech mount, and it looks good. I haven't used one of these before the the larger screen and added features vs. the 60Csx will be nice.

I read a very recent report of a bear attack on some camper just outside of Yellowstone, and it's right on our route. It happened at night, and one camper was dragged out of his tent and killed. Two or three others were bitten, one seriously as I recall. The evil doers were a sow and her cubs (2 or maybe 3). All have been removed from the area and should not be released according to reports. Bears are really the only thing that give me pause on routes through this area, but what are you going to do? Using bear spray inside your tent at night while jaws are clamped on your arm or leg isn't a very good option. I guess you just take your chances when you camp in bear country and don't worry about it too much. The odds are very low, except for thos unfortunate few......

The only things left for me to do now are to get a rear rack for the Husky, and find some appropriate pants for my son who is returning to the states for this trip. The selection of something weather proof, with armor, is very slim unless you want to spend some big bucks. I keep hoping to find some Klim Traverse pants, used, size 30, but for a one time use buying new is a bit excessive. I can't find anything else that compares. I use a full Traverse outfit and it's very good in any weather. A few more odds and ends, like another tank bag and hydration pack for the boy, and we are set to go.

It looks like we will hit the trail Sept 03 but not sure where we will stage. We have a meeting to hash this out in a few weeks. Choices are Oak Creek, CO, or Idaho Falls, ID. The former is a lot closer to home for the four of us. Is it time to go yet......
Old 06-25-2012, 03:00 PM   #22
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,050
Shorai

I just installed a Shorai lithium battery in my KLR. Knocked 5 lbs. off, not that it shows in a KLR's waistline.
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:07 PM   #23
byways
byways

And another thing:

There is fuel at a very opportune locale on the west side of the Deep Creek Range, south of Ibapah, way south of Wendover/West Wendover on the UT/NV line, on the Pony Express/Overland Stage/Lincoln Highway route. It is JP General, a tiny general store run by Justin Parker, a native of Callao (pron'd CAL ee oh), on the east side of the range.

I recently spent some days exploring out there, and JP General saved the trip ... that's how remote it is. He has big above-ground tanks, but he says it might be best to give him a ring @ 775-534-1168 before your trip to make sure he has gas in his tanks. He will. Oh, and he works 24/7, sells essentials like high-octane malt liquor, Scotch etc etc., and is friendly as all heck.

Be prepared to pay cash or write a check; his card swiper doesn't always work.

byways screwed with this post 07-04-2012 at 08:33 AM Reason: add photo
Old 06-25-2012, 04:21 PM   #24
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
It looks like we will hit the trail Sept 03 but not sure where we will stage. We have a meeting to hash this out in a few weeks. Choices are Oak Creek, CO, or Idaho Falls, ID. The former is a lot closer to home for the four of us. Is it time to go yet......
Ken it looks like you are going to be about 5 days ahead of us. Tentatively we're looking at Yampa, CO for a start heading west on Sept 8. Have you made any arrangements to store your vehicle while you're gone? I'm just starting to investigate that and any advice appreciated. We'll be looking for your tracks .

John
Old 06-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #25
Magile
"What exit?"

Oddometer: 368
Quote:

The only things left for me to do now...find some appropriate pants for my son who is returning to the states for this trip. The selection of something weather proof, with armor, is very slim unless you want to spend some big bucks...
How much rain do you expect? A low-tech, low-buck alternative to fancy GoreTex armor riding pants are a pair of rain over-pants, like the ones below. They can be easily slipped over Klim Dakar pants when wet weather arrives. You only have to add your favorits knee armor.

- M.-

http://www.froggtoggs.com/?outerwear...cycle/NTH85105

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/thor-knee-guards/

http://www.klim.com/en-us/shop/moto/...pants/3142-100

Magile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:28 PM   #26
bEnt_bars
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
It's probably a stretch but maybe we'll be bumping into you guys along the way somewhere....

There's 10 in our group starting out from Arco ID on Aug 26th heading clockwise and doing most of this track
And we'll be going thru Yampa to Rangley on Sept 2nd
Really looking forward to it....

Quote:

bEnt_bars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:18 PM   #27
Blaise W OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bEnt_bars View Post
It's probably a stretch but maybe we'll be bumping into you guys along the way somewhere....
I think you will be well ahead of us. More than likely we will leave from Colorado, but we will look for your tracks. Cannonshot really started something nice, didn't he.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:26 PM   #28
Blaise W OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon View Post
Have you made any arrangements to store your vehicle while you're gone? I'm just starting to investigate that and any advice appreciated. We'll be looking for your tracks .

John
John, if we take off from CO, and I think we will, I had planned to stage in Oak Creek, at a motel there. They are happy to let us leave our rigs parked for a couple of weeks, though there may be a very small nominal charge. KOA's also do this if you camp there to start with, as at Buena Vista. This particular motel also has RV spots, etc., so there is more room than at a typical motel. We have a planning meeting set for 7 July up in North Texas, and our start point will be set then. My son and I have all the time in the world, but one of the others is constrained by having to work for a living. I hate it when that happens! If he can get some extra time, then we may be a foursome most of the way. I'm doing it all!

Next year, it's the Tour of Idaho, or at least part of it. Some of the things that turned Big Dog around will probably flummox me too. TI-2 for sure, and as much of TI-1 as possible.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:12 AM   #29
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Thanks Ken! We may move north to Oak Creek then. All of us are working stiffs too and time is a problem. Otherwise I'd do the whole thing too. Have a safe trip.

John
Old 06-26-2012, 06:33 AM   #30
byways
byways

If anyone needs assistance with a launching pad or temporary storage, I can help if Idaho Falls works for your plans. It's on I-15 about 210 miles north of Salt Lake City, and was the launching point for Dockingpilot's crew when they made their maiden run of the Forever West Adventure Route.

This is a very dry season this year, so far. I wouldn't fret about rain much, tho we desperately need it.

byways screwed with this post 07-04-2012 at 08:34 AM