Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2012, 04:41 PM   #46
Blaise W OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
John, I really am not positive of what to expect. Seems like the original riders were clipping along at around 55 most days which is certainly no problem on a GS or similar, or even on my WRR. We will NOT be trying to set a speed record but enjoying the ride. Most likely we will take a full two weeks to go around, maybe a day or two more. This does not look like a technical ride based on the trip report. Figure back to Oak Creek on the 18th to 20th.

We've picked up a 3rd from my riding friends here, or at least he is about 90% "in". He has a R1200GS which should be perfect for this ride. Craig still uncertain.

I will be changing tires this week, putting on the bags, and staging my gear. I can fit the GS, my Husky and my WRR on my trusty, but old, three rail trailer. Wish my pickup had a crew cab so all of us could fit.....but having two vehicles along isn't a bad idea on a trip like this one.

Leave a message for me while you are on the trail and we will eventually get it. Bigdon has my cell phone number. Hope to cross tracks!
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:48 AM   #47
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Except for the one big downhill I think after Echo Park I don't remember anything technical either. We're all on KLR, DR and Xchallenge so no worries. We will be returning to Oak Creek 14th-15th time frame. Don't want it to be a race as I want to take it all in and enjoy the scenery. That said we all are still employed and have limited time so trying to fit home to FW to home into 10-14 days. Hope to run into you somewhere soon. You need some business cards or stickers to leave as bread crumbs for us :)

John
Old 08-05-2012, 06:11 AM   #48
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,368
You fellas will love it. What an adventure is all about. Non stop, always chaging, sensory overload. You shouldnt be picking up loaded bikes off the ground or needing to focus 10' in front of your bike the entire time and missing what is all around you on the grand scale. You can do that at home, no need to spend all the money and time to just to go out there and do that.
As mentioned before here, the 2 spots which may be a tick up are the Oregon Trail (somewhat runtted 2 track and a bit sandy, not bad though) just before fueling at Farson and the long rocky decline outside of Echo Park.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:39 AM   #49
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
You fellas will love it. What an adventure is all about. Non stop, always changing, sensory overload.

I plan to take a million pics but it will be impossible to duplicate what your group did. Thanks for sharing your adventure and luring me in And thanks to Tony for all his hard work on the route. 2013 I'm thinking Idaho. Can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve next.

John
Old 08-05-2012, 08:28 AM   #50
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,871
Tony on the FW route North of Crooked Creek
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:20 PM   #51
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

T. Bone

Old 08-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #52
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon View Post
Can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve next.

John
Since ya asked........

Old 08-05-2012, 04:04 PM   #53
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Awesome!

John
Old 08-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #54
Blaise W OP
Studly Adventurer

Second that "Awesome!"

We are getting a bit more interest in this ride, and Thanks so much to Tony and DockingPilot, and crew, for breaking trail. Damn, there is still a little over three weeks to go before we load up and head out.

Ken
Old 08-06-2012, 06:15 AM   #55
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon View Post
Except for the one big downhill I think after Echo Park I don't remember anything technical either. We're all on KLR, DR and Xchallenge so no worries. We will be returning to Oak Creek 14th-15th time frame. Don't want it to be a race as I want to take it all in and enjoy the scenery. That said we all are still employed and have limited time so trying to fit home to FW to home into 10-14 days. Hope to run into you somewhere soon. You need some business cards or stickers to leave as bread crumbs for us :)

John
I was going to take my GSA, but I read another RR where they had rain off and on the whole time out there. I love my GSA, but not when I'm in mud. I'm getting too old to be picking it up.. DP and his group had 100% rain free riding. I'm not usually that fortunate. Now, if we have perfect weather, and perfect aspens, I'll be worried about running out of gas! Ha

DPs next trip looks just as good. Can we wait until 2014 to ride it? I've got it in my head, that I have to get to Alaska before I hit 60. That means I've got to get it done next year..

Jeff
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #56
andy29847
Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer: 2,187
all alone at home

Those of us who can't get the time off to do the FW have to settle for dreaming about other places....

ABC#8350
IBA#7647,
Trenton, SC
Smugmug coupon code = bQItjZEfrqLkI
MOAB Ride Report
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #57
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRider View Post
I have to get to Alaska before I hit 60. That means I've got to get it done next year..

Jeff
Don't think I'm gonna make it by 60. Oct 24th I hit it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
Those of us who can't get the time off to do the FW have to settle for dreaming about other places....
I'm disappointed to miss that one. Really wanted to make it but just don't have the time.

John
Old 08-06-2012, 05:25 PM   #58
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,156
Bon Voyage!

Best of luck to you all!
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:40 PM   #59
Blaise W OP
Studly Adventurer

John, Jeff, Andy, those day jobs sure get in the way of some good riding don't they!

Next year it's going to be Mex to Can kind of the way Big Dog did it. It's not too soon to start making plans!
Old 08-07-2012, 07:06 AM   #60
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaisew View Post
Second that "Awesome!"

We are getting a bit more interest in this ride, and Thanks so much to Tony and DockingPilot, and crew, for breaking trail. Damn, there is still a little over three weeks to go before we load up and head out.

Ken
Maybe our paths cross. We'll camp at Echo Park Aug 31 and take Tony's route west to Nevada. My buddy thinks we can stay on the PE trail all the way to Carson City, but I doubt it. It'll be his job to find out for sure before we get too lost. It's pretty rugged and empty in Nevada.

I'm interested on Docking Pilot's west coast route too. Have a lot of friends out there we could probably scare up for it.

Have fun.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote