Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2012, 10:46 AM   #16
rreid7014
n00b

Oddometer: 4
If it had been completely insane behaviour and resulted in serious injury I'd have gotten his info, but he was just like I was at his age, a dumb kid not really cognizant of what could happen. I'm guessing that he (like me) will take the lesson seriously and not do the banzai thing down a blind hill any more. He apologized profusely which is what mattered most in this case IMO.[/QUOTE]

Apologies go a long way.
IBA #498
AMA# 939281
rreid7014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:20 AM   #17
Shocktower
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,440
You are a lot nicer than me, I pretty much would have chewed his butt, and then spoke with his parent about maybe getting him some lesson, did you notice tenis shoes on the kid riding jeans hoody that is not good gear. I am glad you did not get injured he did have it pinned just a little to much for a blind hill

'08 KTM 530 EXC
79 RD 400 Daytona
Shocktower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:28 AM   #18
lineareagle
philomath

Oddometer: 502
I'm thinking if there are no one way trails I would be riding with a whip flag. Could have just as easily crested that hill and run into a 4 wheeler.

He certainly did fixate and the bike followed his eyes.

So fortunate.

'06 1200 GS Adv - non A
lineareagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:22 PM   #19
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
"So I don't over ride my sight lines."

That's some A+ riding advice right there!

I don't think it would have been bad form to walk over and ask the kid if he's OK, give him a hand getting to his feet, and then spinning him around and kicking his ass down the hill while cursing his parents lack of birth control discipline... but that's just me.
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #20
ObiJohn
Screaming Banshee

Oddometer: 515
Wow! Lucky neither of you was injured (requiring a doctor's visit, versus 'hurt' requiring some ice, advil, etc.).

I don't know how such an accident can be avoided, because you were on the right side of the trail going up, and the other rider (as you said) looked right at you and rode right into you, even veering to his left to do so. A flag wouldn't have made any difference here... maybe the only thing that would have made a difference is to consciously ride to the extreme right of the trail near the top to the point of maybe riding off the trail.

On a steep uphill like this I'm going to be on the throttle to ensure I have enough momentum to carry me over the top... and I'm going to be light on the throttle as I crest/float over and start the descent. But even so, this is a great (or maybe not so great, if you are the rider) example of how one can do things right and still get nailed.

BTW, where was this? The trail looks great, except for that flying red obstacle near the top of hills.
ObiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:19 AM   #21
dhaynes OP
Alpha geek

Oddometer: 1,150
Collateral damage

As usual, I just had to be unique.

Due to the odd bit of pain and swelling, I took just a few ibuprofen 3 days in a row. Ibuprofen has always messed with my stomach and my stomach got pretty irate with me by Wed morning.

After lunch on Wed I started experiencing from pretty hefty gut pain. Nothing to call 911 over but of some concern since I've never experienced internal injuries before so I wasn't sure what they might feel like - and it was more than just "did I really eat *all* those onion rings again" sort of pain.

I was in town at the time, and since I live 35 miles from the nearest hospital, I figured I'd schedule a quick 10 minute appt with the doc. I've already done the "aw that pain will go away eventually" that caused me to endure that 40 minute drive at 3am with a big kidney stone. I don't care to repeat that experience.

Got in to see the doc at 2:45pm.

At around midnight I got out of surgery

It wasn't the wreck or internal injuries, it was the freaking ibuprofen!

It seems I had a critter called a Meckle's diverticulum. When we're embryos, sometimes when the small intestine separates from the stomach it takes some of the stomach's cells that produce acid with it. Those cells are able to produce acid *inside* the small intestine - where there is no stomach lining to protect against it! It's been there all my life, I just happened to push it too far this time. The doc snipped out 2" of my small intestine and stitched the loose ends back together, problem solved. (Well except for the fact that the scars on my beer belly have completely ruined my career as a centerfold model)

Meckle's is something that only affects about 2% of the population, and only about 5% of that 2% ever show any symptoms, and even fewer need surgery - the surgeon said I was only the fourth one he'd ever seen and only one other required treatment.

I think I was actually even "luckier" than that; the intestine was very inflamed and easily could have perforated, with the same consequences as a ruptured appendix. If that had happened on one of my usual rides 30-50 miles from here and then I had the additional 35 miles to get to the hospital, it would have been pretty ugly ride.

Moral of the story - never assume that correlation is causation, and when in doubt, just let the fuckin' doc take a quick poke at you. It just might save you a lot of time and agony in the long run.
dhaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #22
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,240
Holy Shite!!!! . In some messed up way, that kid may have done you a favor. So glad to hear you're ok.
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:46 AM   #23
Sox Fan
SoxFan

Oddometer: 897
Ouch. Painful video to watch. So glad you didn't get hurt badly.
1989 911
Sox Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:15 PM   #24
dhaynes OP
Alpha geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Holy Shite!!!! . In some messed up way, that kid may have done you a favor. So glad to hear you're ok.
The Luck 'O the Irish works in mysterious ways!
Old 03-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #25
dhaynes OP
Alpha geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox Fan View Post
Ouch. Painful video to watch. So glad you didn't get hurt badly.
Thanks - I'm really glad they didn't have helmet cameras back when I had my first head-on (in mid-air) otherwise I'd probably still be cringing!

I think once every 30 years is enough for head-ons. Next time I think I'll try a nice lowside in some soft sand or something.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #26
zapblam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
I think you taught the kid a whole lot more just by the calm responsible manner in which you handled the situation. Freakin out and swearing makes everything worse.
zapblam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #27
CoffeeGuy
Coffee is 99% Water

Oddometer: 173
This is a good story. I appreciate not only the fact that nobody was seriously injured, but also the mature way in which you handled it. Apologies do go a long way, and you gave the young man an opportunity to learn on his own, instead of being forced into some position of apology through litigation or intimidation. Good 'old fashioned way of handling it.

Props to you both.

Although I don't have any dirt experience, I probably would have taken the .83 second warning time you had to execute a sweet jump over the kid. Bike and all. I might have also flipped whilst in the air and Stuck the landing like Mary Lou Retton. What you did was cool in its own way.

St. Louis Cardinals
2006 WS Champions
2011 WS Champions
CoffeeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #28
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
All's Well

Sorry about the surgery. I think that accident was just one of those 'sh!t happens" sort of things. I recently ate it hard in the desert and went to the emergency room after 2 days of sore gut/stomach ache. I feared spleen, but they just said bruises. My pops told me at least a couple things I try to always think about when out in the desert:

1. Never fly over a hill without knowing what's on the other side.

2. Never go further than you want to walk back.

Not sure your deal was avoidable though.

RZ Rob
RZRob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:11 PM   #29
screwit
One more time

Oddometer: 846
Thumb thumbs up to you

You handled that situation with a lot of class and maturity. We were all idiots on dirtbikes back in " the day". I get the cold sweats when I think of all the stupid stuff I've done on motorcycles over the years. Heal quick and get back out there!
Old 03-21-2012, 10:14 AM   #30
reepicheep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Thanks for the reminder...

I appreciate you getting that on video and taking the trouble to post it. When I trail ride or street ride, I try really hard to not out run my site lines. The result is that most of the time feel bored and stupid for doing so. Where I ride, once the foliage comes in, almost every right turn corner I carve is governed by the sight line, not the bike or the rider. It makes a lot of really fun rides a little less fun. And after days, months, and years of doing it and being utterly unsurprised by anything, I start to wonder why I bother.

Then I watch a video like this, and remember. Oh yeah. That's why I bother. :)

Even that one would have been tricky though. Even if you weren't, he clearly was, and he panicked and turned into you. That's a pretty tricky scenario to maintain a margin to be able to effectively mitigate.
reepicheep is offline   Reply With Quote