Old 04-17-2012, 04:30 PM   #106
Rucksta
Chronic Noob

Oddometer: 2,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
"What is the advantage of LARGE DISPLACEMENT in the DIRT?"

Focus people...
I think it's been answered a few times over bob ... might be time to focus or prehaps even read the thread.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #107
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,362
Semantics and hair splitting. One does not get large displacement without concurrently getting big.

Give it up boys. Anyway you parse the words or split the hairs it still comes down to the rider.
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:48 PM   #108
OhBoy
Got Out

Oddometer: 995
Old 04-18-2012, 01:32 AM   #109
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta View Post
I think it's been answered a few times over bob ... might be time to focus or prehaps even read the thread.
I did...saw most people admit that larger displacement (multi cylinders) is NOT an an advantage in the dirt, (big friggin shock there ) followed by a couple of stubborn FF's who insist that the multi's are mandatory for having fun on the road to/from the dirt.

Stop focusing on me. Thanks.

To someone with a 125-250, my 450 seems "large displacement"...while it seems small compared to 650 and above. My "big bike" or "large displacement" is my 610
09 TE450

bobnoxious67 screwed with this post 04-18-2012 at 01:38 AM
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:53 AM   #110
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,237
As a GSA rider who used to ride small dirt bikes the advantage of the big bikes listed by the OP are comfort and the exercise. he big bikes will go a lot of places but the as the trail gets worse the effort increases significantly. Eventually you out run the functionality of the bike. Draw a line with MX type riding on one end and mile eating long distance travel on the other and each bike will occupy a section of that line, none will own the whole line. Just figure out where your wants and needs fall on that line and look for bikes that fit the bill.

Edit: Here's a fun little clip - you can hurt yourself on anything GS or Gas Gas http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfOZH...feature=relmfu
GSA out front, you'll note the composed flopping about in the saddle as I climb the hill which denotes the easy at which you can rock crawl with a big bike - haha.

CanadianX screwed with this post 04-18-2012 at 03:38 AM
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #111
ten_fiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,954
Its not so much about how the big bikes are in the dirt, its how they are getting to the dirt. I have one of those big bikes solely because I absolutely refuse to haul a bike in a trailer or pickup bed.

ten_fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:30 AM   #112
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten_fiver View Post
Its not so much about how the big bikes are in the dirt, its how they are getting to the dirt. I have one of those big bikes solely because I absolutely refuse to haul a bike in a trailer or pickup bed.
I sometimes haul my bike in my pickup bed because I refuse to be limited in my dirt choices, and my ablity to ride the tightest and hardest dirt trails available
09 TE450
Old 04-20-2012, 05:47 AM   #113
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,481
Not to mention having to limit how you ride the dirt. Riding home after some of the thrashings I heaped on the LC4E simply would not have been an option. On my last dual sport ride I had to bail early on the second day and was sweating the 30 miles back to the truck with a split leaking fuel line, pretzeled handlebars and stripped rear sprocket.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:56 AM   #114
Rucksta
Chronic Noob

Oddometer: 2,568
I sometimes haul bike cos the seats so hard & the engine so viby my bum & hands go numb. The fuel injection surges, the bike wanders in a cross wind, the fuel range is shit and there is nowhere to carry luggage if I want to go for more than a day trip.

If I ride by the time I get to where the good riding is I'm rooted and can't have any fun but I have to justify my not really enduro bike by riding all the hardest tightest gnarly trails I can find just to prove I'm not a soft cock.

Good thing I have a trailer to load the bike onto and a fresh set of underwear in the van.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:52 AM   #115
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,883
The one thing I have not seen mentioned is the fact that a nice logging road or two track that would be sheer boredome on a small dirt bike Is a hoot on a big bike. They make the more tame/boring trails fun.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:22 AM   #116
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,490
Myth not fact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
The one thing I have not seen mentioned is the fact that a nice logging road or two track that would be sheer boredome on a small dirt bike Is a hoot on a big bike. They make the more tame/boring trails fun.

NOTHING is boredome on a small dirt bike.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:40 AM   #117
ten_fiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
I sometimes haul my bike in my pickup bed because I refuse to be limited in my dirt choices, and my ablity to ride the tightest and hardest dirt trails available
I understand that, but I have come to understand one very important feature of my bike: it is capable of much more than I am. I've seen people do things on a KTM Adv that most people can't do on a much lighter bike.

But like I said, no matter what, I would rather be in the saddle than in a cage at any time. And that, to me, is the advantage of big bore bikes.

ten_fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:42 AM   #118
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

It's cool if the bike you're madly in love with is a big heavy multi cylinder with large displacement...but to use the argument that it's an advantage "in the dirt" because for you it's more enjoyable on the road because you ride so many pavement miles to get to the dirt is...backwards/twisted/stretching a bit.

Enjoy, have fun, but at least try to make sense with your side of the argument
09 TE450
Old 04-21-2012, 06:46 AM   #119
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post

NOTHING is boredome on a small dirt bike.
This.
09 TE450
Old 04-21-2012, 06:47 AM   #120
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta View Post
I sometimes haul bike cos the seats so hard & the engine so viby my bum & hands go numb. The fuel injection surges, the bike wanders in a cross wind, the fuel range is shit and there is nowhere to carry luggage if I want to go for more than a day trip.

If I ride by the time I get to where the good riding is I'm rooted and can't have any fun but I have to justify my not really enduro bike by riding all the hardest tightest gnarly trails I can find just to prove I'm not a soft cock.

Good thing I have a trailer to load the bike onto and a fresh set of underwear in the van.
Help me out...serious, or making fun of me?
09 TE450