Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #46
WetSideRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,144
Buying and selling stuff is a personal thing, in the sense that you do it person to person, not that it is to be taken personally. Some times you are going to get the stars to align and a great deal emerges (somebody is in a divorce, the dealer has to clear flooring cost, whatever). Sometimes, not.

Being satisfied with a sale is all about expectation. Understand that both the buyer and the seller have expectations. If they aren't met on both sides, the deal won't happen. As many have said already, do your homework on basic bike values, and be prepared to walk if your expectations aren't met. It's not a personal affront when the seller won't meet your offer, so move on with no hard feelings. You now have a datapoint for further searching.

That said, after a weekend of Craigslisting a bike, I wonder about people, and about me.

What do folks really expect when they want to offer 50% of the asking price via email before they even see the machine? I just write back and say "no, but thanks for the offer". This offends some, apparently, who write back expecting either a counter-offer or that I pull the ad, since I'm not committed to selling. Of course the right thing to do is to offer to show the bike, but with folks like this, I avoid the whole experience.

I especially like the "I can get the exact same bike, brand new, for what you are asking" line. The answer is, go ahead, then.

I suppose there are sellers out there with totally unrealistic expectations about what their merchandise is worth. Maybe this line works with them. I'm too much of a bike geek to not be interested enough in my own machine to clearly understand what the market is likely to bear. Your challenge is to find out how sensitive I am to the price point I've set. Don't ask for hints, but be grateful if you get them. On a private sale, you might get some clues about what the seller is planning to do next, get out of cycling, get divorced, move up to the next machine, whatever. That information might help you understand how hard you can press for a low price.

I like the suggestion about carrying the cash in small bills so you can tempt the seller with real money. Don't try this with the meth guy, though.

Finally, be realistic. If you email a Megan Fox lookalike with an offer to meet at the local DQ dutch treat, with sex after, you gotta be prepared for a refusal, and certainly no counteroffer (at least that you'll be interested in). Of course, you won't know if you don't ask, but just don't take it personal if it doesn't work out the way you want it to.
WetSideRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:27 PM   #47
B02S4
Aye

Oddometer: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubulchain View Post
...The only must is to BUY THE RIGHT ONE FOR YOU! ...
That is so important, & quite true.
B02S4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:33 PM   #48
plumber mike
Soaking up Son shine

Oddometer: 2,810
Good points. The folks that lowball by email are missing out. It is better to go and pick the bike apart(devalue) in person. This is usually very easy for someone who is mechanically inclined. You are merely pointing out the facts. I have even had some sellers thank me for pointing out problems they did not know existed.Sometimes you might be suprised at what good condition it's in and want it. That's when the dough in the other pocket comes out....when you REALLY want the bike. I try to bring someone with me who is not passionate about bikes(my wife usually)when I'm going to look at one I really want.

Bring cash. It helps let the seller know you are here to BUY. I can tell you you won't be test riding a bike of mine without it. Plus, when a screaming deal comes along that needs no haggling, you will want to buy it ASAP to avoid losing the deal. A trip to the ATM may just be long enough for the guy with cash in his pocket to scoop it up.

....in the end it all depends on what you want and what you are willing to pay. As the seller, It all depends on what you want for it and how long you are willing to wait. Do you want to unload it quickly to avoid having to meet a bunch of people and spend alot of time? Do you want a top dollar return and really don't care if it sells quickly? If you can afford to, yes. Some can't due to circumstance. You hate to kick a man when he is down, but that's usually how the smokin deals get had.

I've gone round in my head. I want to sell my CB400F. I know it's a collectable bike, but it's not restored to 100%. Do I put a bunch of time and money in it to receive top dollar or just blow it out for cheap to free up the room and time for other things? Everyone is different and that is why you hear of great deals all the time as well as seeing ads so far out of reach you wonder if they are serious. There is a deal for everybody. You just have to go find it and be prepared when you do.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:48 PM   #49
plumber mike
Soaking up Son shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by B02S4 View Post
That is so important, & quite true.
I respectfully disagree....in this thread only! "The art of haggleing" as the OP calls it, if done properly, allows you to sell the bike that is "not right for you" at a break even or a profit. This then becomes the process to determine the right bike and also fund it.

Once you have found "your" bike. The return on investment is ridden out rather than sold.

JMO
Old 03-13-2012, 09:54 PM   #50
B02S4
Aye

Like many inmates here, I've bought & sold a number of vehicles. The few deals that I've truly regretted are those that involved vehicles purchased (from dealers) which, in retrospect, I really didn't want. The common theme is that I settled for them because "the price was right"...the deal was (at the time) "too good to pass up"...ya well, I shoulda passed.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:54 PM   #51
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by WetSideRider View Post
That said, after a weekend of Craigslisting a bike, I wonder about people, and about me.

What do folks really expect when they want to offer 50% of the asking price via email before they even see the machine? I just write back and say "no, but thanks for the offer". This offends some, apparently, who write back expecting either a counter-offer or that I pull the ad, since I'm not committed to selling. Of course the right thing to do is to offer to show the bike, but with folks like this, I avoid the whole experience.
Craigslist is an incredible tool to connect .. a paradigm shift ... a disruptive technology.
there's also more scams on CL than anywhere on the WWW.

for every 1 real response, expect to get 20+ scam responses phishing for your email to send stage two and three of the real scam. scamers use CL to find folks that are more liable to fall for a scam.

have found exchanging emails with folks are a waste of time on CL. to get around this include in ad: "please send a phone number for more information" Have NEVER sold anything to anyone on Craigslist without speaking to them first. but have wasted a butt load of time answering email questions. (waste of time)

folks that send a phone are real... answer their questions via phone.
folks that cannot follow instruction and send questions via email are a waste of time.

don't even bother answering their ridiculous offers. delete it and go on.
someone that's serious will send their phone. you've got to talk to someone before meeting anyways.

Never allow a CL stranger to come to your house. 99.9% of folks are fine... but do you want that .01% weirdo to have your home address?
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:15 PM   #52
plumber mike
Soaking up Son shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
Craigslist is an incredible tool to connect .. a paradigm shift ... a disruptive technology.

for every 1 real response, expect to get 20+ scam responses phishing for your email to send stage two and three of the real scam. scamers use CL to find folks that are more liable to fall for a scam.

have found exchanging emails with folks are a waste of time on CL. to get around this include in ad: "please send a phone number for more information" Have NEVER sold anything to anyone on Craigslist without speaking to them first. but have wasted a butt load of time answering email questions. (waste of time)

folks that send a phone are real... answer their questions via phone.
folks that cannot follow instruction and send questions via email are a waste of time.

someone that's serious will send their phone. you've got to talk to someone before meeting anyways.

Never allow a CL stranger to come to your house. 99.9% of folks are fine... but do you want that .01% weirdo to have your home address?
I imagine this problem is even worse in larger areas. I have had the BEST luck selling stuff on craigslist, with only the occasional nigerian cashiers check offer.

It should go without saying, but I'm glad you said it. There are alot of folks out there crazier than us, that I don't really want at my house. Not so much for me, but for the safety of my family.

For bikes, I have found the local DMV a great place to meet. It makes it easier on both parties. If a deal is struck, we can walk into DMV together and really make the sale official. It helps that the cop shop is next door, 'cause ya never know.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:56 AM   #53
Zippydapanhead
Damn kids, get away!

Oddometer: 168
Thumb Not True!

Quote:
Craigslist is an incredible tool to connect ...

I thought I had something sold, but the lady's son had just wrecked her jeep, so no deal... Oh no! But she had just found a new money-making deal that she was willing to tell me about. Wow!

I go luckier because a guy wanted to buy it... only he had business elsewhere... and it was for his niece's birthday... so he sent a money order... and for $50 bucks more because of the rush. Cool! But the check bounced... Oh no again!

It doesn't matter, because a prince from Nigeria just e-mailed me to tell me he will give me $5,000 if I help him get his inheritance. All I need to do is cash a money order to me, keep the $5,000 (booyah!) and send him the difference. The check is in the mail. Hello, easy street! Man, I love the internet!
Old 03-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #54
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippydapanhead View Post
I thought I had something sold, but the lady's son had just wrecked her jeep, so no deal... Oh no! But she had just found a new money-making deal that she was willing to tell me about. Wow!

I go luckier because a guy wanted to buy it... only he had business elsewhere... and it was for his niece's birthday... so he sent a money order... and for $50 bucks more because of the rush. Cool! But the check bounced... Oh no again!

It doesn't matter, because a prince from Nigeria just e-mailed me to tell me he will give me $5,000 if I help him get his inheritance. All I need to do is cash a money order to me, keep the $5,000 (booyah!) and send him the difference. The check is in the mail. Hello, easy street! Man, I love the internet!
pretty hilarious stuff!! LOL...

but what's sad is why scamers continue to bombard craigslist with scam bait.... it WORKS!!!
the nature of CL list's saturation is LOTS of folks, Brand New to the internet are finding out about the power of Craigslist. best of all it's free and it works.

those are the folks scamers are targeting. they may not know that a cashier check can bounce weeks after you cash it at your bank. by then target has loss their goods and have a bank come after total amount of check.

don't be so smug to think just because we are all laughing at how stupid some folks are to fall for this nonsense. scamers use some of the most sophisticated multistage scams in existence.

here's a real life example:

1. they send a generic response from a free email account to CL ad... objective is to collect email list for stage two. if you respond, they gotcha

I am intrested in buying it from you, just want to know if it still available for sale ?
-----------

I will like to know if this item still available for sale ? Kindly get back to me asap. Thank you Sent from my HTC on the Now Network from Sprint!

2. stage two... you get sent targeted scams because you fell for the first one.
here's a few more listed by FBI http://www.fbi.gov/scams-safety/e-scams

ACH Payment Canceled
The ACH transaction, recently initiated from your checking account (by you or any other person), was canceled by the other financial institution. Rejected transaction
Transaction ID: 2985355
Reason for rejection: See details in the attachment
Transaction Report: report_082011-65.pdf.ZIP (ZIP archive, Adobe PDF)
13450 Sunrise Valley Drive, Suite 100 Herndon, VA 20171 (703)561-1100 2011
NACHA - The Electronic Payment Association
Old 03-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #55
Zippydapanhead
Damn kids, get away!

Oddometer: 168
CraigsList Goons

The part I like is that the messages really do read like Boris and Natasha are try-ink to do in Moose and Squirrel.

Ad: Four sale... turdload of 70's 8-track tapes. Mostly Uriah Heep, Tonto's Expanding Headband and Budgie.

E-mail: "Is item still available and is condition pristine?"

Seller: Yeah?

E-mail: "Most excellent! Many well wishes. However, I cannot wait because item is gift for niece's birthday party and I must go out of country for important business meeting (where I will follow moose to find mooseberry bush)."

Old 03-14-2012, 09:58 PM   #56
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
Quote:
It is a good place to mess with people.

http://www.dontevenreply.com/index.php

http://www.dontevenreply.com/view.php?post=85

http://www.dontevenreply.com/view.php?post=87

http://www.dontevenreply.com/view.php?post=88

http://www.dontevenreply.com/view.php?post=89

http://www.dontevenreply.com/view.php?post=93

DAKEZ screwed with this post 03-14-2012 at 10:57 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:32 AM   #57
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

so true... that's why responses without a working phone number are deleted. email responses on Craigslist are a waste of time. don't even reply...
Old 03-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #58
RedShark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
I sell Ferrari's, and ....
Ferrari's what ?
RedShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:30 PM   #59
B02S4
Aye

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShark View Post
Ferrari's what ?
Strict constructionst, eh?
Old 03-16-2012, 01:09 AM   #60
Johnnie5
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
haggling

dealers want top dollar so limited scope there

private are where good haggling is

know your product!!! , know what you are buying , know what repairs and services cost

go through the consumables , tyres , brakes, chain, sprockets , damage , registration

any books or documentation ??

ask why they are selling

start the negotiation process , let them tell you what they want , they advertised at $9K then quickly you find they will take $8K

then you start knocking the price tyres, service etc etc

depending on the mood , look ive got $7K to spend , they um and ah , pull the fist full of 50's and say look heres the $7K i'm ready to take it right here and now , i have others to look at today etc etc

there is no point going to look at something to buy without cash ready to go and buy it and take it right there and then , this is where you will save extra dollars
Johnnie5 is offline   Reply With Quote