Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 07:31 AM   #16
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,803
Here are the pictures of my Puch Newport. I don't have it registered yet, but I have it up and running, and been riding it around the neighborhood. It rides like new. Notice the rectangular cover on the right side of the motor. This is the ZA50 2 speed model. It is a centrifugally controlled transmission, it upshifts when road speed reaches a certain point, usually about 12-15 mph. Keep the speed down, keep it in first gear, and I have never found anything that it won't climb. It zips right up long steep grades that stalls my Vino 125 out. And with only 50cc and 2 hp. Gearing is everything.

Everything is basically stock, I rebuilt the whole thing end to end a few years ago. The handlebar switches are all gone, the twist on wire connectors are there because I have the headlight and tail light wired directly to the lighting coil. The toggle switch in the box is the ignition on-off. The seat is from a cruiser style bicycle, but comfortable enough for all day rides. I did 2 week rides on this back several years ago. Each saddlebag will hold a one gallon flat oil jug, I use one of them to carry an extra gallon of premix, the other has the top cut out to hold parts and tools. Plus you can carry whatever you want on top and in a backpack. On nice flat roads you can make 200 miles a day on this thing easily.

1980 Puch moped

JerryH screwed with this post 04-08-2013 at 09:37 PM
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:37 AM   #17
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,781
Ive got a 76 (I think) Motobecane Mobylette moped front end here somewhere,it could be made to fit I bet. Possibly a wheel but not sure.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:57 AM   #18
JerryH
Vintage Rider

The Moby is French, the Puch is Austrian. Everything is different. I've owned a couple of Moby 50Vs. Nice mopeds, they have a variator, similar to a CVT. But the electrics and Gurtner carb sucks You can get all the parts you need for a Puch from themopedjunkyard.com. If you want a really nice set of forks, check these out. http://www.1977mopeds.com/puch-ebr-hydraulic-forks.html 1977Mopeds also has tons of Puch parts, both stock and aftermarket, like the forks.
1980 Puch moped
Old 04-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #19
XT_Driftwood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Here are the pictures of my Puch Newport. I don't have it registered yet, but I have it up and running, and been riding it around the neighborhood. It rides like new. Notice the rectangular cover on the right side of the motor. This is the ZA50 2 speed model. It is a centrifugally controlled transmission, it upshifts when road speed reaches a certain point, usually about 12-15 mph. Keep the speed down, keep it in first gear, and I have never found anything that it won't climb. It zips right up long steep grades that stalls my Vino 125 out. And with only 50cc and 2 hp. Gearing is everything.

Everything is basically stock, I rebuilt the whole thing end to end a few years ago. The handlebar switches are all gone, the twist on wire connectors are there because I have the headlight and tail light wired directly to the lighting coil. The toggle switch in the box is the ignition on-off. The seat is from a cruiser style bicycle, but comfortable enough for all day rides. I did 2 week rides on this back in the early '80s. Each saddlebag will hold a one gallon flat oil jug, I use one of them to carry an extra gallon of premix, the other has the top cut out to hold parts and tools. Plus you can carry whatever you want on top and in a backpack. On nice flat roads you can make 200 miles a day on this thing easily.

That's impressive. Especially since you didn't buy it until 2007.

http://216.92.20.236/forums/read.php...603#msg-370603
'99 Cagiva Gran Canyon - the bane of my existence
XT_Driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:59 AM   #20
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnath View Post
rusty gas tanks can be a bitch. i'd heard of people dropping BB's and such and shaking the shit out of it. others talked about dribbling in sealants, rotating the tank to get it stirred around and left it to dry.

slickest way i ever heard of was when i talking to a guy here in the neighborhood that rebuilt a puch.

i asked if the gas tank was rusty and he told me it was in terrible shape. i asked how he solved the problem and he told me he just installed a filter in the gas line between the tank and the carb and swapped out the filter whenever it started acting like it was running out of gas.
Evaporust. Sold at auto part stores. Really really good stuff. Amazing actually.

Safe. Biodegradable. Almost no odor.

Good stuff.

We use it at work.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #21
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT_Driftwood View Post
That's impressive. Especially since you didn't buy it until 2007.

http://216.92.20.236/forums/read.php...603#msg-370603
Thank you for pointing out my error. I corrected it.
1980 Puch moped
Old 04-09-2013, 09:24 PM   #22
Tarin OP
Yep! n00b

Oddometer: 72
I'd love to update this thread, but I'm stuck waiting for Ebay dude to send me the forks i bought... plus, i have to send them to the painters.
In the meantime i polished (kinda) those chrome skinny bars that end up on the rear shocks, they where heavily rusted and pitted... used the Dremel on those with an OK result, I guess I'll be changing those later on.
Also, i forgot to install the wiring harness before installing the rear wheel... hope that it doesn't interfere that much.
1973 Honda ST90
1978 Yamaha XS650 (stock, not a chopper)
Tarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:37 AM   #23
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarin View Post
I'd love to update this thread, but I'm stuck waiting for Ebay dude to send me the forks i bought... plus, i have to send them to the painters.
In the meantime i polished (kinda) those chrome skinny bars that end up on the rear shocks, they where heavily rusted and pitted... used the Dremel on those with an OK result, I guess I'll be changing those later on.
Also, i forgot to install the wiring harness before installing the rear wheel... hope that it doesn't interfere that much.
The wiring to the tail/brake light does run up underneath the rear fender. It may still be possible to install it, but it should be a lot easier with the rear wheel off. One neat thing about mopeds (with no gas in them) is that you can literally flip them upside down like a bicycle, sitting them on the seat and bars, for better access to some things.
1980 Puch moped