Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
legion OP
Wait Til Friday

Oddometer: 12,542
VW Golf R

Anybody got one? Thoughts?

I've been desperately missing my old '04 R32.
legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #2
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,027
I considered waiting for it to come out but opted for a '12 GTI instead. With an ecu flash you can get the same hp as the R and I had a hard time justifying the $9K premium to put power to the rear wheels on a low ground clearance car. Don't get me wrong, I'll be jealous when I see one but personally found it impossible to justify a $35K+ golf.
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:57 PM   #3
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 4,986
We were in line for one but quickly gave up our spot when the dealer said it'd be over $38,000 for one like we wanted. I think the people before us in line did the same thing.

We ended up with a Golf TDI and although it's still brand new to us we (my wife) really has been enjoying it.

Why didn't we go for the GTI? It came down to "let's splurge and get a fun small car with AWD" vs "The TDI is still fairly fun, costs $10,000 less, and gets much better fuel economy." For that $10,000 we can leave that car home when we get big snow and take my gas guzzler everywhere.

But I think you should buy an R and tell us all how dumb we are for passing it up.
adam_c_eckhardt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,066
Unfortunately, I think the Mark IV R32 will go down as the high water mark for top-end Golfs.

Just like the Mark 5 GTI killed off the Mark 5 R32, the Mark 6 GTI just makes way more financial sense than the Golf R. Maybe wait to pick it up on the used market.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:34 PM   #5
legion OP
Wait Til Friday

Oddometer: 12,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
Just like the Mark 5 GTI killed off the Mark 5 R32, the Mark 6 GTI just makes way more financial sense than the Golf R. Maybe wait to pick it up on the used market.

I always figured the Mk V R32 became a lot rock because it only came with an auto trans. Living in snow country that AWD 6sp though sounds like it'd be a blast to have again. Something about the solidity and quality feel of the R32 that really struck home and doesn't quite seem to ever go out of style once you've tried it. If they've transferred that same feel to the new R I think I might be nudged over the edge.
legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:40 AM   #6
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,454
The Golf R is about the only thing out there that could possibly inspire me to make some really poor financial choices right now.

I bet the AWD would fetch at least another $500 when I sell the thing to some punk ass kid in 12 years after it's all used up.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:29 AM   #7
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,801
R? Wassat?! I've got a Mk1 GTI (Campaign) in deep storage in UK awaiting de-tombing and rebirth.. OK its only 112bhp but applied to 780kgs, that's a whole load of fun as Niki Lauda used to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourKraut View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'll be jealous when I see one but personally found it impossible to justify a $35K+ golf.
We should be so lucky. Over here the new R is AUD50k+ which equates to around USD53k
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:16 AM   #8
A-Bone
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,399
I was reading in the print edition of C&D that the new one (4 banger only... ) will only be offered with a manual because the auto was so poorly received in the US..

Here is the online version:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

Seem like bitchin cars.. but you might as well get a one or two year old S4 if you are going to spend that kind of money..
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #9
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Don't have a VW but I R a GolfR, just not a very good one the last few years. My swing went away when Tiger got in trouble.....
Old 03-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #10
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
I still want a cherry MKI GTI.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #11
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
I still want a cherry MKI GTI.
Mine's identical to this one:

Back to R talk, its a shame newer iterations are almost always much heaver. 3 325 lb, lbs = 1 508.194 630 3 kilogram
I wonder how a simple car designed back in 1974, thats 38 years ago, became such a relative behemoth?

overlandr screwed with this post 03-13-2012 at 05:23 PM
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:38 PM   #12
Schnickelfritz
pick, grin, repeat

Oddometer: 1,905
There's an inmate selling a Jag over here might be able to tell you.
Schnickelfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #13
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr View Post
I wonder how a simple car designed back in 1974, thats 38 years ago, became such a relative behemoth?
Because it can. A Mk1 GTI did 0-60 in what 9 something seconds? Shit, a TDI does that now.

Even a modern iteration on a light car like the Lotus still gets it's ass kicked on the track.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #14
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post

Even a modern iteration on a light car like the Lotus still gets it's ass kicked on the track.

wut

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #15
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr View Post
Back to R talk, its a shame newer iterations are almost always much heaver. 3 325 lb, lbs = 1 508.194 630 3 kilogram
The cars carry a ridiculous level of luxury equipment now, and going to discrete engine and suspension subframes front and rear (for manufacturing) did no favors either. The car is a work of art underneath tho.

VW is talking about taking 250lbs out for the Mark 7 version of the GTI. That would be amazing.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: