ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
Lil' Steve OP
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,787
NYCFF Berkshire ADV Ride planning thread May 20, 2012

For those not familiar, the Berkshire Trail Riders put on an awesome annual adventure ride every May. This year will be the most memorable yet because the founder of the ride, Vince (aka viverrid), despite having advanced pancreatic cancer, is trail bossing this ride once again.

This ride is a great way (even for first timers) to have fun on your Adventure/Dual Sport bike, and help to raise money for this year's charity, Home/Hospice care in the Berkshires. I got my first taste of the dual sport bug on this ride a few years ago.

As in years past, I'll be renting a cabin at Prospect Mountain Campground, in Granville MA for Saturday night. There are cabins, tent sites and full hookup sites to choose from. I've reserved cabin #5 same as in previous years. It's sort of become the "party spot" where lots of people come to socialize on Saturday night. I'll be bringing a gas grill, a couple of coolers, and my cabin has a full kitchen and toilet for anyone who needs it. You are all welcome to come hang with us.

Feel free to use this thread for planning on how to attend, sharing trailer space or meeting up with local in your area (doesnt have to be NYC) to ride up.

So join me to celebrate Vince's "I'm not dead yet" ADV ride this year, it's one not to miss.

Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #2
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,119
I'm heading up on Sat with a buddy of mine but we don't have a cabin number yet. I'm trailering and will be bringing some firewood.
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
Lil' Steve OP
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Make sure the firewood is dry, the stuff the camp sold us last year had too much mositure and was a bitch to get lit.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
rgb2cmyk
Dirt(y) Neophyte

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by TengaiJohn View Post
I'm heading up on Sat with a buddy of mine but we don't have a cabin number yet. I'm trailering and will be bringing some firewood.
Not familiar with the rules around here, but is it safe to bring your own firewood? I know some areas forbid it because of the migrating pests within?

I'm looking forward to this ride, now I just need to get my act together and get organized and get a camp site, etc.

Is there an area at the campsite that people try and get close to. Should I look for a site near cabin 5? Does anyone want to share a site? I'm new to this group thing, but I look forward to meeting you all.
06 Husky TE450
04 R1100s BCR
rgb2cmyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb2cmyk View Post
Is there an area at the campsite that people try and get close to. Should I look for a site near cabin 5?
The party's at vfr870's cabin. Or outside it at least.

BTW, dunno what the situation is with late checkout at that facility. In previous years when people camped at the state forest (no cabins!) I had suggested that campers might consider taking Sunday night too, so they have a place to return and wash up, change, etc. after the ride. Even if they don't actually stay over until Monday morning.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #6
Gargoyle
Trail Jester

Oddometer: 1,115
I will be there Friday and Saturday night.

Will be near you Steve ... campsite #8 with my toyhauler. We will have tee shirts for sale and most likely do event pre-registration from there in the late afternoon Saturday as well.

I think bringing dry firewood is a good idea ... because I am not sure if brandy breath Arron will be there this year

And for sure I be cooking something on the grill to bring to the party.

Let me know if there is anything specific I should bring to the party.

Berkshire Trail Riders on Facebook or follow me on Twitter
Gargoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:10 PM   #7
Gargoyle
Trail Jester

Oddometer: 1,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post

BTW, dunno what the situation is with late checkout at that facility.
Last year the owner let me "check out late" because he didn't have the site rented for Sunday night. Hopefully they will be good to us on this because we are bringing them a bunch of early season business. Campers should ask about this when you are signing in.
Berkshire Trail Riders on Facebook or follow me on Twitter
Gargoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #8
Looksgoodinblack
LooksbetteronOrange

Oddometer: 2,606
We'll be in the Cabin # 7. My wife, ten months old kid, and a couple of friends. We plan on arriving early Saturday or maybe even late Friday. Some other LI FF's will probably chime in soon as well. We've been having so much good time in the past years we're not going to miss this one.

My favourite DS Video from last year:

http://youtu.be/ij_BNJ0GZ_E
'04 DL 650, '03 450 EXC - Plated, '07 X-Challenge

"What has been seen cannot be unseen"
Looksgoodinblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:54 PM   #9
Lil' Steve OP
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looksgoodinblack View Post
We'll be in the Cabin # 7. My wife, ten months old kid, and a couple of friends. We plan on arriving early Saturday or maybe even late Friday. Some other LI FF's will probably chime in soon as well. We've been having so much good time in the past years we're not going to miss this one.

Yeah, nice vid to capture the Berkshire ADV ride experience. In fact, let me embed that just in case someone missed it.

I dont recall the campsite having any issues with people bringing their own firewood, but you can contact them directly to make sure. 1-888-550-4PMC / info@prospectmtncampground.com

No, you dont need a site near our cabin, that's just where the hang usually gravitates towards. The people who value their peace and quiet reserve a site far enough away from us riff raff, but still come get drunk with us. Then they stumble back to their site.

While the cabin was cleaned & locked when we got back, they've always let us leave our vehicle/trailers at our sites as long as they werent booked.

Prospect has been a great spot because we can enjoy adult beverages openly, and as long as we're not too loud, they dont mind us enjoying ourselves. The one thing they DO NOT LIKE is ANYONE driving or riding their bike above their 4.5 MPH speed limit. Yup, that's right 4.5 MPH. If that's all they ask of us then it's pretty easy to comply. We'll have plenty of opportunity to crack the throttle in the woods during the actual ride.

I know Vince has scouted some snow still on the ground, but this early spring is giving us a real good chance of having a (relatively) dry May ride. I can hope, anyway.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #10
rgb2cmyk
Dirt(y) Neophyte

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looksgoodinblack View Post

As a noob this video is both exhilarating and freightening at the same time. But I'm not afraid of getting the beast dirty, dropped, or broken, but I still will likely be going a little slower.

I'll call the camp site and get things set then.

Thanks guys.
06 Husky TE450
04 R1100s BCR
rgb2cmyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:25 PM   #11
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,731
www.prospectmtncampground.com/FAQ.htm

Quote:
Can I bring my own firewood? Does the campground sell firewood?
We do still allow our campers to bring their own firewood, but please inspect it first to make sure it is free of disease and insects so that our trees stay healthy. We sell firewood too though. A crate of wood is $6, but large groups and extended stays may be more interested in buying a "bucket" for $40, which is about 1/6 cord, or a 1/2 cord for $120. We also sell full cords for $230, though it would usually take even large groups longer than the average stay to go through that much. If you would like any of these larger options, please let us know before you arrive so we can have it ready for you.
bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:53 PM   #12
Looksgoodinblack
LooksbetteronOrange

Oddometer: 2,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb2cmyk View Post
As a noob this video is both exhilarating and freightening at the same time. But I'm not afraid of getting the beast dirty, dropped, or broken, but I still will likely be going a little slower.

I'll call the camp site and get things set then.

Thanks guys.
Don't get discouraged. Last year was little more technical because of the rainy days before the event. Some sections of the video were taken at the hero sections and going little slower will help just remember to keep the momentum and look ahead where do you want go. It really is big bike friendly ride.
'04 DL 650, '03 450 EXC - Plated, '07 X-Challenge

"What has been seen cannot be unseen"
Looksgoodinblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #13
Lil' Steve OP
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
And for sure I be cooking something on the grill to bring to the party.

Let me know if there is anything specific I should bring to the party.

Ross, I think the best way to handle it is to treat it as a BYO. I had to throw out a good amount of ribeye last year since I over planned a bit. If everybody brought a little something there should be plenty.

+1 on what Peter says about not being discouraged. No matter what type of problems/difficulty you might encounter whether a noob or AA rider, someone will help you. I've been on both the receiving end, as well as helping others. That's what these rides are all about.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #14
alskee750
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
camping..

Do you have to reserve if your just camping/pinching a tent?
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:18 PM   #15
Lil' Steve OP
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alskee750 View Post
Do you have to reserve if your just camping/pinching a tent?

You could probably get a site the day you get there if you didnt want to do it in advance. Or you could share a tent site with rgb2cmyk. Tent sites are only $25 (for the first 2 adults) so if you guys split a site it would only be $12.50 each for the night. You can cancel any reservation 14 or more days prior without penalty.

http://www.prospectmtncampground.com/rates.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb2cmyk
Does anyone want to share a site? I'm new to this group thing, but I look forward to meeting you all.