ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2012, 05:49 PM   #31
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb2cmyk View Post
As a noob this video is both exhilarating and freightening at the same time.
The video emphasizes Hero Sections, plus (as noted) it was really wet that year.

The Main Route is intended to be rideable on a V-Strom with Tourances and is mainly a dirt road ride. People have done it on street bikes though this isn't recommended. Especially if wet.

This year, parts of a couple of the Hero Sections were a handful for a very experienced scout (enduro rider) on a 650. However nobody on a smaller thumper should expect an Enduro. Our club has both an Enduro and a Turkey Run (somehwat like an un-timed Enduro) on the schedule for later in the year. So if you want that, we have that. Just not on this ride.

Also, the unknown for this round is remaining erosion damage from last year's major storms. We already changed the route due to safety and impassible bridge-out closures. Then some of those, to our surprise, were repaired. What it comes down to is that some options were designated as Heroes due to erosion making for rough conditions. If the townships have gone in and repaired uninhabited dirt roads, then they won't be so heroic. We have been waiting for snow-out to get a look at those.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #32
Looksgoodinblack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
The video emphasizes Hero Sections, plus (as noted) it was really wet that year.

The Main Route is intended to be rideable on a V-Strom with Tourances and is mainly a dirt road ride. People have done it on street bikes though this isn't recommended. Especially if wet.
That what I was riding during my first ride in Berkshires.
'04 DL 650, '87 BMW K75 with Hannigan Astro Sports car, '07 X-Challenge

"What has been seen cannot be unseen"
Looksgoodinblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:31 PM   #33
rgb2cmyk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looksgoodinblack View Post
Don't get discouraged. Last year was little more technical because of the rainy days before the event. Some sections of the video were taken at the hero sections and going little slower will help just remember to keep the momentum and look ahead where do you want go. It really is big bike friendly ride.
Thanks. I'm really looking forward to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr870 View Post
You could probably get a site the day you get there if you didnt want to do it in advance. Or you could share a tent site with rgb2cmyk. Tent sites are only $25 (for the first 2 adults) so if you guys split a site it would only be $12.50 each for the night. You can cancel any reservation 14 or more days prior without penalty.
I'm going to book a site tomorrow. If anyone wants to split it just PM me.
09 R1200 GSA (Totaled by SS Sandy)
06 Husky TE450, 04 R1100s BCR, 03 F650CS
rgb2cmyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:25 AM   #34
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,118
Quote:
Since the campground sells wood for a not too badly marked up price, my suggestion is that it is iffy whether it is even worthwhile to bother hauling it in.

Even if legal, it is a undesireable practice as to pest infestation. Last year researchers had purple traps (looked a little like box kites) hanging from the trees all up and down the Rte. 8 to see if the Emerald Ash Borers had crossed that far into MA (they are in NY). Worcester, MA is infested with Longhorn Beetles and thousands of mature trees are being taken down and burned in an attempt to eliminate them.
Ok, I'll leave the firewood home. I heard the wood from the campsite was pretty bad last year (wet).

What happens when they bring Xmas trees from Canada or another state into MA???? Just curious.
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:08 AM   #35
Gargoyle
Trail Jester

Oddometer: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by TengaiJohn View Post
Ok, I'll leave the firewood home. I heard the wood from the campsite was pretty bad last year (wet).
The wood last year was soaked through and through. No one could keep a camp fire lit. Since Prospect does allow campers to bring their own wood ... why don't we? Unless it is literally the law in MA that you can not. Does anyone know the Mass law?
Berkshire Trail Riders on Facebook or follow me on Twitter
Gargoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:35 AM   #36
alskee750
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
tent site splitting..

I'm going to book a site tomorrow. If anyone wants to split it just PM me.[/QUOTE]

I pm'd u
alskee750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:59 AM   #37
madrivermaz
Old Fart

Oddometer: 2,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
The wood last year was soaked through and through. No one could keep a camp fire lit. Since Prospect does allow campers to bring their own wood ... why don't we? Unless it is literally the law in MA that you can not. Does anyone know the Mass law?
I say bring it on!

Why should Mass be the only state without the Asian Longhorn Beetle or Emarald Ash Borer?

No, no law prohibiting transporting logs into Mass. Just watch the log trucks rolling up Rt. 8 on any given weekday.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:15 AM   #38
Gargoyle
Trail Jester

Oddometer: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrivermaz View Post
I say bring it on!

Why should Mass be the only state without the Asian Longhorn Beetle or Emarald Ash Borer?

No, no law prohibiting transporting logs into Mass. Just watch the log trucks rolling up Rt. 8 on any given weekday.
Well, the wood I am bringing was cut 7 miles from the Berkshires. Just over the border in NY. I doubt I will bring any bugs that haven't migrated to Mass all on their own.

But if people think this isn't the right thing to do. I am sure we can find someone near Prospect with a dry 1/2 cord of wood I can buy and bring to everyone for free.
Berkshire Trail Riders on Facebook or follow me on Twitter
Gargoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:52 AM   #39
madrivermaz
Old Fart

Quote:
Well, the wood I am bringing was cut 7 miles from the Berkshires. Just over the border in NY. I doubt I will bring any bugs that haven't migrated to Mass all on their own.

But if people think this isn't the right thing to do. I am sure we can find someone near Prospect with a dry 1/2 cord of wood I can buy and bring to everyone for free.
or

there's enough lying on the side of the road from the storm just waiting for someone to grab. I guess I'll add a wedge and sledge hammer to my luggage for those of you who need a little strength training before the ride.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:04 AM   #40
Lil' Steve OP
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,860
Quote:
I doubt I will bring any bugs that haven't migrated to Mass all on their own.

We'll be sure none of the bugs make it out alive.
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:29 AM   #41
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr870 View Post
We'll be sure none of the bugs make it out alive.
What a flamer!
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #42
Lil' Steve OP
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
What a flamer!
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:03 PM   #43
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Pine?

I have a quantity of pine that was cut earlier this last winter. Most people won't burn pine indoors in a woodstove or even a fireplace, but for an outdoor fire it could be entertaining.

The logs are about 12" diameter plus or minus and lengths maybe 6 feet (at the time, I just cut it up to sizes I could heave out of my driveway). If anyone wants it let me know. It is right alongside my driveway. No branches, no pine needles, just the pine trunk.

If anybody wanted it, I could even cut it up shorter for you. But only if you definitely want it, otherwise I'd rather not put the extra work into it for no reason.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #44
madrivermaz
Old Fart

Quote:
I have a quantity of pine that was cut earlier this last winter. Most people won't burn pine indoors in a woodstove or even a fireplace, but for an outdoor fire it could be entertaining.

The logs are about 12" diameter plus or minus and lengths maybe 6 feet (at the time, I just cut it up to sizes I could heave out of my driveway). If anyone wants it let me know. It is right alongside my driveway. No branches, no pine needles, just the pine trunk.

If anybody wanted it, I could even cut it up shorter for you. But only if you definitely want it, otherwise I'd rather not put the extra work into it for no reason.
I'll be up at Prospect Friday afternoon. If anyone comes in early enough, we can use my truck to get the pine. Like I said, I'll have a wedge and sledge to split it.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:55 PM   #45
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,118
Quote:

Pine!!!! No my friend (the word friend with a heavy spanish accent)!!! Pine is no good to cook an asado!!! Ay estos gringos locos!!!!

My firewood is from New Joisey, who knows what's in it

I'll purchase some on the way up on the Mass side.
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote