Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #16
sierraoffroad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,291
i have an older cortech jacket and pants made by tour master and really like the fit and function. as far as waterproof they're good for a quick shower, but prolonged day in rain i will wear the tour master elite II pants and jacket over my cortech jacket and pants. overall tourmaster is very good value for the price you pay.
sierraoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #17
k12lts
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
I can't speak to their jackets, but I wear Tourmaster Solution 2.0 boots for daily commuting and find them more comfortable than other boots I've owned at 2 or 3 times the price. Waterproof in tropical downpours, too. Functional rather than stylish, simple, and good value for money.
I have had the same expierence with the boots. Great value for the money, very comfortable and absolutly waterproof after 3 years of wear.
k12lts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:32 PM   #18
OkieTom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
I am on my second Tourmaster Transition jacket and really like it, first one lasted well over 75,000 miles. It just fits better than anything else I tried even at twice the price. I had a pair of Caliber pants that were horrible, Had them replaced 3 times under warranty for leaking at the crotch and zippers failing. Finally just trashed them and for just a few dollars more bought a pair of Olympia pants and what a difference, fit is way better, real zippers and actually waterproof.
OkieTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:44 AM   #19
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 23,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiskee View Post
I have a hi-viz Tourmaster Transition Series 2 jacket that, to me, works great. I haven't had any problems with rain... keeps me dry. Material and fit is good, too. I use the thermal liner in the winter and I stay warm in 30s-40s weather no problem.
X2
kenny61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #20
Nnordsman
Nnordsman

Oddometer: 287
Contrary Note

I have owned several pieces of Tourmaster gear. The only piece I currently own are Caliber pants. The feature set for the price is probably second to none. That said, I have had problems with every single Tourmaster product I have owned. The features are good, but the quality and workmanship stinks. If you ride the traditional 3-4K per season it is adequate for a couple of seasons. If you ride more than this you will burn through the gear's usable life in short order. I have actually had much better luck with JR gear on the low-end, then I have with Tourmaster.
Nnordsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:00 PM   #21
Trophy Mike
w/extreme prejudice

Oddometer: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsidein View Post
Unlike helmets gear is not certified or even tested to see if it will work in a crash.

Not to sound like a gear snob but Tourmaster (and Joe Rocket, Fieldsheer, Icon, etc) are value brands. What you get with their gear is a cheap price and very basic functionality along with hopefully some abrasion resistance in a low speed crash. To sell at the low price though they make some significant sacrifices in abrasion protection (light polyester vs heavy Cordura), stitching strength, hot weather venting, breath ability (Gortex like wind/water liner vs plastic coated fabric) and insulation (Thinsulate or other high tech insulation vs basic polyester fill) compared with mid tier gear like Rev'It or Olympia.

Most better textile gear uses Cordura or similar material in the shell which is many times more abrasion resistant than the cheap polyester most value brands use. Google "Save your hide guide" for a comparison chart of materials.

Personally I have owned Joe Rocket, Tourmaster, Rev'It and Olympia gear. Big fan of Olympia jackets for their cost/performance and long term durability. IMO the slightly increased cost of say an Olympia AST over a Tourmaster Transition (similar styles) is well worth it in hot or cold weather extremes, the AST vents and insulates much better, and has much more abrasion resistance. Teiz is another often recommend brand.
You do sound like a gear snob but when did that become a bad thing?
trophycycleapparel.com - America's #1 Non-REV'IT! Dealer - Rukka Gear Discussion/FAQ
Trophy Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:19 AM   #22
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,177
I will be retiring a Tourmaster Transition II this spring. I WILL NOT be buying another one. I wrote a review on one a year or so ago...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=573617

Interested in attending the HU Maritimes 2014 Meeting? Click HERE!
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:14 PM   #23
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,627
I have a set of Tourmaster pants. I like the pants, but the quality is lacking. The first year I had them the part on the waist with velcro for tightening the waist tore off. I had to sew it back on. A friend of mine had the same problem with his pants. The leg zipper broke last year because the end of the zipper was not secured right.

I have a pair of First Gear that has survived at least 6 years with only the velcro wearing out. I use them on my dual sport where they get a tougher work out than the Tourmaster I wear on my sport touring bike. I think the Tourmaster has better features, but aren't as well made.

I have a Tourmaster leather jacket with no problems.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:19 PM   #24
MoreCheese
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
My opinion is pretty close to Snarky's. I only have about 7K miles on a Tourmaster jacket and pants, 1.5 years time. Mostly OK for 50-80 degrees but beyond that it's pushing it. Dress in a bunch of layers for anything below 50 to stay warm over the miles, over 80 or so and I start cooking. Light rain or drizzle is all the waterproofness is good for, but that's fine with me. I bought Tourmaster because of the price. I ended up buying another jacket and pants for hot weather riding.
MoreCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:50 AM   #25
roshan2044
RosTourer

Oddometer: 43
I have been using Tourmaster Saber series in INDIA , that too in the south (very tropical climate one could say) with temperatures around 30-38 C . If you stop at a traffic signal you do sweat a lot, but if you are on the move, with the vents open, I have had no issues any time of the day and night. I never had to use it with the Winter lining because it never gets that cold down South in India

About rain, I have experienced heavy rainfal during touring and the jacket has kept me completely dry . Yeah your hands and legs get wet because I didnt use the right gear. No Complaints with Tourmaster jacket so far... Now hunting for a compatible pants whose zipper matches with my jacket.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:43 AM   #26
(none)
poser

Oddometer: 2,584
I've had my Tourmaster and Alpinestar gear longer than any Aerostitch gear and have less problems out of either than my Aerostitch gear... Oh, and they are cheaper.
LC80
JK Rubi
(none) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:57 AM   #27
Juvat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
I've had a Transition series 2 for 3 years now and I like it but, for rain it's a no go. I am satisfied with it but I'd like to get something more all purpose. If your on a budget, and want protection, it is a good value.
Juvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:14 AM   #28
IRideASlowBike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Tourmaster makes relatively cheap gear but it shows in the quality and durability. I had their Venture pants, Accelerator gloves, and Coaster II leather jacket (the jacket is good, and saved me in a crash).

I think their textile gear leaves a lot to be desired in terms of durability, but their leather gear is good. At least my jacket worked, and I still use it. The gloves are also good so far. Although I don't have any other leather gear to compare to.

My take is avoid the textiles, but the leathers work. If you want textile at not too much price increase, go for Olympia.
IRideASlowBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:49 AM   #29
NHADV
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
I have a Tourmaster transition two and I love it. I also have there soft bags and they have done pretty well except for the zipper tab coming off.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:17 AM   #30
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post
I will be retiring a Tourmaster Transition II this spring. I WILL NOT be buying another one.
I have a similar experience with my T2. The color faded and the weather proofing stopped working. I paid $180 for it and like you, put about at least 50,000km on it when the deficiencies started to show. I still used it for 2 more seasons.

I have however bought another. For the price I paid, it's good value and one of the few jackets that fits my 6'5", 200 lb frame. I still wear my old one, when it's not raining.
ATC350X
550MXC
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote