User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2012, 11:57 AM   #271
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,808
I'm getting so confused......

LAMEco has an SL350, an Allan, a Senior, a Junior, a Rick and a wild sence of adventure.

Outta Sight Racing also has an SL350, an Allan, a Senior, a Junior, a Rick and a wild sence of adventure.

Keep the stories coming
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:36 AM   #272
Mr Fast
Slowly striving

Oddometer: 319
Here's some more

Final prep work before heading out to Mexicali. Also, a little pimping to the cooler & Blue Rhino.

On the road to Mexicali. The Blue Rhino is stuffed like a Christmas turkey with Honzilla on the back.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:15 AM   #273
Mr Fast
Slowly striving

And some more.

Bear with me here. Old guy learning new tech stuff. Lunch in Gila Bend with Sr., Jr., Bob & Rick.

We're having trouble with the temp gauge.Don't know yet if it's the gauge or if the engine is really overheating. Later at Stage one we realize it's just the gauge.

You can't see it but Bob is holding a dead pack rat. Kinda the way we felt at that point not knowing if we were even going to get to Mexicali!
We make it to El Centro & meet up with Allan & crew.

We cross into Mexicali & make it to the hotel. Our neighbor Wanda liked the bike.

Honzilla spent the night with us.

Allan's Honey letters the bike.

We meet Dave Despain.

He poses for us.

We head over to the Bull Ring for tech

There were a few Hotties there.

Here's the team. Bob must be off sucking down Margaritas!

Driver's meeting in the ring. Anybody spot Robby Gordon?

Race starts in the morning! More pics to come.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:51 PM   #274
Mr Fast
Slowly striving

Race day

Sunday morning, everyone up early to get ready. Jr. gets on Honzilla & heads to the Bull ring for the start of the first transit to the Salada dry lake bed. Here's Bob attaching the tool kit.

A little bit later, the Smiths are the first out. Alex has to start the bike & then Malcolm runs the transit:

Everybody wants to get a pic of the living legend!
Here's Paul with OSR lined up & ready to go.

Allan's going over the GPS with Jr. one last time:

John at the start. The guy next to him is the organizer, Pearlman. I believe his Dad started NORRA back in the 60's. Great guy.

Here's the chase crew, perched to go.

As mentioned, we miss Jr. at the start of the 1st stage & haul ass to the end. Here he is coming in:

Allan & Bob helping to reset the odometer which Jr forgot to do. After his incredible run he apparently didn't need it!

Times:

Here's me, heading out for the second transit.

Allan ran the second stage through the sand whoops & took one for the team with a high speed get off. This pic shows us with Malcolm. Look at Allan's left eye. It's already swelling. Rick is on the bike for the next transit.

Off he goes.

We jump into the Blue Rhino & head for L.A. Bay, with the obligatory stop at Coco's.

Honzilla at L.A. Bay

Bob rode the last stage, including the ramp at Gonzaga with the throttle pinned. He looks happy. Bruised, but happy.

More to come.

Mr Fast screwed with this post 05-23-2012 at 08:32 PM
Mr Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #275
Mr Fast
Slowly striving

First day, pm

Rooms are limited at L.A. Bay. Our team got one crappy room at Casa Diaz. Note to readers: If you're going to the Bay of Angels always try to stay at the Casa Del Sol. Here's Rick setting up a cot on the porch.

Bob was supposed to run the first stage in the am to El Arco but after Gonzaga wasn't quite up to it. Rick agreed to take it, although he originally was just going to run some transits, like me. This caused a change in our plans. We decided that Jr. & myself (Sr.) would drive to G. Negro that night so we could get to the end of the 1st station early, be on time & Jr. could take the next leg. I woke up the next morning with a feeling of foreboding. I had told Jr. yesterday that at L.A.Bay we would totally go over the bike & look for potential problems. That didn't happen. We left it up to Allan & crew but they didn't build the bike or know it like myself & Jr. No reflection on them, we weren't really worried about it as the bike was running flawlessly. We were no0bs & tired. Some things only become obvious later.
Jr. & I get to the checkpoint the next morning. Here he is talking to the Smith's.

We wait, but Rick doesn't show. We hear he's broke down. That's when I get really mad at myself. I knew we should have gone over the bike. That's when I realize we lost any chance of winning in our category. OSR had run this the year before & had problems. They learned & had a year to get ready. I knew they weren't going to make any big mistakes (And they didn't) and they had a pro with them (L C Garage). At that point I realized that all we could do was concentrate on finishing so we could get a trophy & some bragging rights. Talking to Allan in the other chase truck we decided to head for El Arco. We had to go back north a bit & come in on another road. At El Arco, we saw some spectators:

We learned that the McMillans running sweep had picked Rick up & were bring him to El Arco. We set up an EZ up and laid out our tools and parts. We waited. Finally, here's Rick & the bike:

Those folks were sure nice. We get the bike unloaded & start working on it. Dumb stuff. The battery had come loose & had torn the ground cable. The fuel tank rear bracket had collapsed. I think we fixed & fueled the bike under 10 minutes. We were determined to get to the checkpoint before it closed. Here's John Jr. heading out:

I forgot to mention that we also had strapped a fuel bladder on the tank so he could make it through the next stage. Allan headed out the good road while Rick, Bob & I followed the course to the checkpoint behind Jr. When we got there they were all packed up but we found that Jr. had made it!! On to Loreto. By the time we got to the checkpoint north of Loreto it was dark.

More waiting. One thing you learn racing in Baja is that you always get conflicting info. One car comes in, they have never seen him. Next buggy comes in & he's right behind them. Finally, we can't stand it & we head up the course looking for him. I'm not going to leave my son out there wondering. The Blue Rhino comes into its' own. That long travel suspension really works off road. We get about 8-10 miles in & here comes Honzilla. He stops, I yell you can still make it & off he goes with us behind. At the checkpoint:

We had already sent Allan & crew ahead to Loreto to get checked in. Rick jumps on & rides to Loreto. We get there & don't know where to go. More no0b shit. We finally find it & Rick gets a big hug from the timer gal who said they had been worried about us. i think part of the hug & concern were fueled by many Margaritas. We were that late! Around 11:00 p.m.We then find out we have a big time penalty. Jr. gets it worked out. When he got into San Ignacio he couldn't find the checkpoint because they had quit manning it. He finally finds it & gets his time. The GT guy in charge agrees we weren't late & removes the penalty. We head to Super Burro to eat but all they have left is cheese so they make us some quesadillas. At the hotel Allen, Jr. & I work on the bike until 2:30 a.m. I think at this point we were so tired we were delirious . I called my honey in Arizona on the satellite phone & got all choked up. I was really proud of my son & what he had done that day. Actually I was proud of all our guys. As Louis L'amour would say, "They'd do to ride the river with." Unless you do one these events you have no idea how intense they can get. Got to bed at 4:00 & up at 6:00. Actually I didn't get up on my own. Allan's Honey Shila woke me up. Thanks Shila!! I also forgot to mention that it's real hard to eat. Half a taco the day before & the above that evening was it. Good way to lose weight. More later.

Mr Fast screwed with this post 05-23-2012 at 08:43 PM
Old 05-23-2012, 07:12 PM   #276
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,457
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:44 PM   #277
Mr Fast
Slowly striving

This will end it

For an amateur these threads are harder to do than you might expect.You forget stuff & leave out folks who are critical to the story. Several things need to be mentioned. Allan had brought his Dad along, a great guy named Gary. He had also brought a couple of more guys as part of the chase crew who were anxious to help but didn't know anything. They brought a lot of stuff, including pillows & they earned the sobriquet "The Pillow Twins" by my son. They went with Jr. & Moi to G. Negro. When we were unloading for the night they had to have the bag with their pillows. Cracked me up. He also brought his Fiance Shila. She was a lot of help & easy on the eyes. Back to the race. Day three. Allan takes the bike on the first stage to La Paz. We meet Allan & Rick mounts up to run the transit to the 2nd stage. We're north of - OK I don't have a Baja map in front of me but it's that straight ass road that goes through Insurgentes & Cuidad Indepencia - you know I'm butchering these names, also the Mexicans just crack me up on the names they give. Anyway, Rick heads down this straight ass road & breaks down. NOT AGAIN!!! We catch up to him & get him off the road & tear into the bike. No power again. Allen yells, "I see a spark!" This time it's on the positive side. Our fearless mechanic Owen had made his own fusible link Rube Goldberg style & it had come apart. Jr. took a spade fuse & two female terminals , fixed it & taped it all up. Let me interject at this point to all wanna be racers. Build your bike like your building an airplane! It can eliminate a lot of problems. We make it to the checkpoint.One thing that was cool, during this transit we go through a town & they block one lane for us. Seeing the Blue Rhino they figure we're in the race & we haul ass down the lane. By working on the bike we were 6 minutes late & incurred our only penalty.

Bob takes over for the second stage with a full tank of gas. I need to mention at this point that we re-jetted Honzilla the night before. It looked like she was running a little lean. I should also mention that we were running low lead avgas to help her run cooler. Honzilla went from about 38 mpg to 30 but boy did she come alive. Not many pictures here since I was taking the transit into La Paz. Bob came into the checkpoint & the engine died. He was out of gas!! I got on the bike & took it in to La Paz. When I hit the checkpoint they handed me a Tecate. Cool. Here's the time sheet:

Parked afterwards, Robby Gordon came over & sat on the bike. Said his Dad had one. Later we drove through La Paz to the Marina Hotel to check in. Finally got a decent meal there & then we worked on the bike. Bob found a tear in the rear tire & we had to change it. Pinched the tube of course the first time but got it the second.

Got to bed at a decent time & was ready for the last day. John Jr. took the first leg. Here's a good pic of Jr. at the start:

Off he goes. Jr. was to trade off at Todos Santos For Allan to take the next stage. They were to meet at Mag 7's pit. Well as Mag 7 was in the wrong place that didn't happen. Jr. had to keep going & take the last stage into north of Cabo. What happens then is too good to shorten, I'm tired so I'll finish this in the a.m.

Mr Fast screwed with this post 05-24-2012 at 07:05 AM
Old 05-23-2012, 09:51 PM   #278
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,462
Im sure it involves a countershaft problem and keeping me from loosing myself in the maze of ranchos outside of todos santos..
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:35 AM   #279
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
Im sure it involves a countershaft problem and keeping me from loosing myself in the maze of ranchos outside of todos santos..
If it wasn't for the friendly locals pointing the way, I would still be circling around out there!
Old 05-24-2012, 06:36 AM   #280
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Great write up Mr Fast!
Old 05-24-2012, 08:23 AM   #281
Mr Fast
Slowly striving

Last stage, last day

John Jr. took the first stage & was to meet up with Allen at Todos Santos, fuel the bike & let Allen take the last stage over the mountains to Cabo. They were to meet at Mag 7's pit. Unfortunately, Mag 7 was in the wrong place & they never hooked up. That's racing! When we were working on the bike in La Paz we noticed the bottom roller for the chain had crapped out. We didn't have any extras so we were going to switch it with the top roller. Of course, we forgot. When Jr. got up into the mountains his chain started slipping. He didn't realize that it was his chain. Bronco Driver (Ed) had told John once that these bikes were bad about stripping out the counter shaft so of course that's what got stuck in his head. He stopped at a ranch & got some Mexicans to help. They pulled the cover & the sprocket looked fine. He looked at the chain & realized it was just loose. Too late to swap rollers as the top one was gone! He tightened the chain up & away he went. John is one of those guys born knowing how things work. I remember him putting an antique lamp together for my mother when he was only three. He was embarrassed that he hadn't figured it out sooner. It's the fog of racing , pressure & limited time. Until you go through it yourself I'm sure it's hard to understand.Bike # 57's odometer broke & he kept getting lost so he followed John for awhile. (wrk2surf) When the trucks & buggies caught up he had something faster to follow. Same thing happened to L C Garage on 12. Guys were following him too!
Meanwhile we're down at the end of the stage wondering what in the Heck is going on. We finally had our locator working & we could be tracked on Spot Walla. We're close to Cabo so our cell phones are working. We're getting word from Arizona that he's not moving. Then he was. Now he's not. Mouse McCoy's rig comes in & the driver tells us that John is broke down. He told us not to go up course, too knarly. We jump in the Rhino to go around Cabo to Todos Santos to go in that way. After a few miles Rick gets a call from a buddy in Phoenix. He's on Spot Walla & John is moving again!! We turn around & head back to go up course to find him. I call my sweetie & she verifies he's moving. You have to realize that we're always in that racing fog of not really knowing what's going on. We had gotten hold of Allan & told them to head to Cabo. We get about a mile in & find him. At this point I was to take the last transit in to Cabo & get the glory of finishing. I was proud of Jr. & it didn't feel right to me. I told him to take it in, he deserved it. Apparently it was pretty sandy. Deep sand. I didn't miss it. Here's some pics. First one, we thought we might need some.

Top speed for the stage

At the finish

After the awards banquet

Allan

Found another Hottie:

She didn't speak English but that was OK! Will post again a short one of the way home.

Mr Fast screwed with this post 05-24-2012 at 07:20 PM
Old 05-27-2012, 06:51 PM   #282
noshoes
soñando con México

Oddometer: 2,123
Thanks guys for the followup report. Lameco rocks!
Old 06-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #283
azcagiva OP
new orange flavor

Oddometer: 1,152
day 2 special stage 1

If anyone is still interested I thought I would post up some more of my experience.

d2ss1
Rick left out of bola and made it about 50 miles or so before the bike died on him. The rear suspension was set up way too stiff. I had a suspension guy in Scottdale do some testing with his shock dyno and he figures the springs were for a 500#rider. The softer springs that I ordered didn't show up till the day after we left. Due to the rough ride the battery worked its way loose and left Rick stranded.

FF to el arco. Bike shows up we fix it and off I go. First thing I notice is the steering head bearings are a little loose. I had not installed the top clamp all the way down and it allowed the lock nut to loosen up. Anyway it is not too bad so I keep going and catch the checkpoint right as it closes. Here is where some experience might have helped us out. We received a time of 7:34 for that stage, if we had timed out we would have received 5:30 time. So had I hit the cp 1 minute later I would have saved 2 hours.

Enough complaining. I head into viscaino hoping to get gas and make the start of the next stage in san ignacio. I stop at a chase rig for one of the buggies and borrow some tools and fix the steering head bearings. I get gas in viscaino and head south. I stop at the gas station in San Ignacio and find out it is out of fuel. Hmmm I guess I can get gas in San Juanico. I head towards the mission and ride right by the stage start. The guy had packed it up and was on the other side of his truck so I missed him. I continue on following the gps for the transit. The green line continued on so I figure the start is up ahead. I pass a few locals cheering me on and realize I somehow missed the start. I turn around and ask the guys where the start is and they tell me at the hotel. I find the start guys and off I go.

Turns out the guy closed the cp too soon so my penalties were removed. As I am riding I notice two white raptors off in the distance whenever I make a turn. I go through some two track roads, miles of deep sand and then The course sends me through a dump. I figure I must be near San Juanico where I am going to have to find gas if I want to make it to the end of this stage. I get out of the dump and hit a tidal flat of some sort, I stop to check my gas and try to see if I can see the town. As I am looking in my tank the raptors pull up along with one of the McMillan chase trucks. They tell me they are my new chase crew and give me some gas. Pretty cool to have some of the guys I have seen in the dust to glory movie help me out. I apologize for going so slow and they graciously tell me I am going just fast enough. Off I go with my new famous chase team until the next problem.

I had a great time hauling ass on the tidal flats. I hit a big ledge on an uphill climb that lifted the ass of the bike pretty high. Not a big deal until I get to the top and one cylinder drops off. I look down and the gas line on one of the carbs pulled off and is now dumping gas all over the hot engine. I freak out, stop the bike and shut off the gas. I reattach the tank strap and fuel line. I borrow a bottle of water from the McMillans and rinse off the gas on the bike. I apologize once again and head off. I find the mag 7 pit and they gas me up. The sun is almost set now and they tell me I have 100 miles to go. I head inland and pass a few broken down race vehicles.

I had installed a race light I had built from a KC tropy truck light and a baja designs light. I figured it would be a good thing to mount the number plate to and good insurance if I had to ride at night. I had a 50w halogen bulb in the reflector. The light worked really well with one problem. I was not able to aim the light much higher than 15' or so in front of me because of the plastic road book that had stopped working earlier that day. So I now had a 20mph light which would have been ok if I was running 20mph. I had a close call with a canal in La purisma, other than that it wasn't too bad.

I pass a truck with a KTM on the back of it and figure I must be getting close the end of the stage. I go a little further and come across a vehicle with super bright lights. As I am cussing them I realize it is the suburban. I stop, dad tells me to haul ass the check point is up ahead. I get to the check point and the guy working says , "is that honzilla? shit man we were wondering what happened to you. Sit down and have a beer man".

I get my gear off and start sipping the beer and the suburban comes sliding in. Rick gets on we gas her up and he heads for the end of the transit. He makes it to the finish and the flag girls, who had a few beers by then hugged him and said they were worried about him out there all by himself.

I had a great time and other than the light and Rick getting my hug it was a good day.

-John

coming up day 4

www.Raceforthewounded.com

azcagiva screwed with this post 06-10-2012 at 06:17 PM
azcagiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:21 AM   #284
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,808
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:27 AM   #285
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Great story, keep it coming! And when are you going to tell the story of Robby Gordon working on your bike?