Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2012, 07:54 AM   #16
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenai Rider View Post
I just got off the phone with NORRA, they're officially changing our class to the SL class.

See you in Mexicali, you won't be hard to find.
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:28 AM   #17
Bronco Driver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Sl

Two vintage bikes. Where are the vintage riders?
Old 03-17-2012, 07:08 PM   #18
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 687
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Driver View Post
Hey Bronco, I'm the token vintage RIDER on Paul's OSR team, started my first motorcycle race in July of '72, this is my fortieth year of racing (mostly dirt track, some MX and a dozen years driving or crew chief-ing race cars), I'm just a few years from social insecurity.

Looking forward to having a great time in Mexico and trying to keep up with these kids and their go-fast SL350!
Old 03-17-2012, 07:09 PM   #19
azcagiva OP
new orange flavor

Oddometer: 1,137
It seems that everyone that races in Baja has to have a team logo. I spent some time designing this thing last night. I am no graphic designer and had a little trouble with the program I was using. Anyway with no further adieu, I present....

Let me know what you guys think. I might even have some time to make up some stickers.

-John

www.Raceforthewounded.com
azcagiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:12 PM   #20
azcagiva OP
new orange flavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC Garage View Post
Hey Bronco, I'm the token vintage RIDER on Paul's OSR team, started my first motorcycle race in July of '72, this is my fortieth year of racing (mostly dirt track, some MX and a dozen years driving or crew chief-ing race cars), I'm just a few years from social insecurity.

Looking forward to having a great time in Mexico and trying to keep up with these kids and their go-fast SL350!

Ed, (bronco driver), was one of my teammates in 09, our cumulative age for a group of 4 was 199 years. I wish he was able to race with us this year.

(If you look at his avatar that is him at the start jump of the 09 Baja 1000)

-John

Old 03-18-2012, 12:37 PM   #21
HalfFast
Double Secret Pit Ninja

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Driver View Post
Well. I am older than the bike so does that count?

A few weeks ago John and I had an itch that only a bit of Baja could scratch. I drove down from San Jose Cali and John drove down from Camp Verde AZ and we planned to meet at the top of the Laguna Salada lakebed between Rumorosa and Mexicali. I was of course running late but we did find each other and had a great ride south. I brought my big pig KTM 640LC4e and John rode his BRP. The plan was to ride down and get some fish tacos the first night in San Felipe. Other than that the rest of the ride was just for fun with no specific plan. We might go to Alphonsina's or even BOLA if we felt like it. Just the kind of Baja ride I like.

Since we hadn't ridden Baja since the 1000 in November it was a great sand and whoops tune up for us. We covered some ground on the big bikes knowing full well that we were not going to be able to make that kind of time on the SL once it was re-assembled. Half of the challenge of riding the Sl is going to be keeping that motor alive to cross the finish it seems. It was funny, at every rest stop one or the other of us would say...... "you know the SL won't go that fast through here". It kind of became our mantra for the ride.....

this is what John looks like when he tells me we can't ride the Sl that fast!!! lol

And this is me saying yeah yeah!

We rode a ton of sand road and found a little vineyard in the middle of nowhere with a little fixer upper house and shriveled up vines. John thought they must have run the wells dry.

The lakebed was pretty dry but did have one sneaky muddy section that really pulled the wool over John's eyes. He was ripping along in what seemed to be dry terrain when his rear tire broke through the crust into a thin layer of mud. I could see his bike yawing sideways at high speed on a rear knobby that now looked like a smooth slick. He later told me he thought he had a flat until I goosed it and went by doing my own little yaw dance. At one point I had the rear step out so far sideways I was sure a high side was imminent. Disaster averted, it was a blast to slip and slide across the lake and head for La Ventana. Days later when we returned by the same route you could see our tracks and the silliness we wrote into the lake with our bikes.

Well, the first day didn't go exactly as planned. I was running late earlier and forgot to get gas in Rumorosa so that axed our plan of riding through the Sierra Las Pintas and the old 1000 course to Borrego and Zoo road. We really wanted to ride those technical wash and whoops sections but instead we had to settle for a long drone down the highway hoping to find gas north of San Felipe.

We found gas at the last tienda/llantera on the right before the military checkpoint but it was expensivo..... 80 pesos a gallon. Pumped out of a gravity fed tank lashed to the top of a Ford Aerostar van. only in Baja...

We finally made San Felipe and got those wonderful fish tacos from Maria on the Malecon. I hadn't eaten a bite all day and was pretty hungry. I think all I had in my stomach was Monster and water....I figured I rode about 260 miles on an empty belly.

John got right to work washing the salt off my bike!!!! nice.

It seems lately that every time I show up in San Felipe they throw a party... this time was no different. The street outside the hotel was blocked off and vendors and kiddie rides lined both sides of the road. we missed the giant burning man they hoisted up on a crane , lit on fire and shot fireworks out of but made it back to the party in time to see the main fireworks show. We were both amazed to see how close it was and how many of those fireworks went awry landing on vehicles and buildings adjacent to the stage. It was pandemonium but in a good way.

After a good night's sleep we planned to ride down to Alphonsina's and possibly bay of LA. My front tire was wearing a bit funny and while getting gas John noticed I lost a sub frame bolt which put us even further behind schedule. That KTM has a tendency to rattle the bolts out of the darnedest places. Usually only happens in Mexico though.

After a quick fix we were back on the trail.

We made it to Alphonsina's and found the gas station in Gonzaga was closed so we decided to just book a room and have a terrfiic dinner on the beach. I think this may be the best halibut and shrimp platter I have ever had.

There are no bad days at Gonzaga Bay

And a beautiful sunrise. I got up just in time to catch this.

The final day we decided to ride the 340 miles north from Gonzaga Bay to Tecate in my case. We ended up riding as much dirt as we could retracing our steps from the previous two days. In spite of a toasty chain and a missing sprocket bolt on my KTM.

I loaded my bike, jumped in the truck and drove 8 hours home ending a 840 mile day in my own warm bed.

Man I love Baja!

2012 2nd place NORRA Mexican 1000
2013 1st place NORRA Mexican 1000

HalfFast screwed with this post 03-18-2012 at 01:06 PM
HalfFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:48 PM   #22
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Just wondering if you will be sharing info and pictures of that sweet oil cooler system you are putting on your SL. We'd love to see it

Nice ride report.....I'm envious that you are able to go down to Baja so easily.......you guys are very lucky!
Old 03-18-2012, 11:41 PM   #23
HalfFast
Double Secret Pit Ninja

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
Just wondering if you will be sharing info and pictures of that sweet oil cooler system you are putting on your SL. We'd love to see it

Nice ride report.....I'm envious that you are able to go down to Baja so easily.......you guys are very lucky!

Seeing as I am 800 miles from the bike I haven't even seen the alleged oil cooler. I just hope this bike comes together in time for the rally. It is being built out of many parts and is a long way from finished.

And pretty soon you will be in Baja with us having a nice cold one in Bay of LA and beyond.

2012 2nd place NORRA Mexican 1000
2013 1st place NORRA Mexican 1000
HalfFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:45 AM   #24
advrockrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Bags????

What brand are the bags you have on the XR? I like the look of them, how do you like them? Thanks
advrockrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:08 AM   #25
azcagiva OP
new orange flavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post

The oil cooler is still in the developmental stage. Since my dad won't let me use the cappellini setup off his road race bike I am designing my own. I should have some pics up here soon.

-John

The bags are dirt bags rockrider, and they work well. They are the best I have found for spirited off road riding.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:49 AM   #26
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,221
how bout the honda steering tube mounted cooler off the XR's
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:02 AM   #27
Mr Fast
Slowly striving

Oddometer: 315
Keeping the oil cool.

John's right. I ain't loaning him my Motocappelini oil cooler set up. However as one of the co-founders of LAMEco, we have been working on another system. All I can say is that it's similar to the first British bikes total loss system & a five gallon can. We're still working on the weight distribution. Should also help keep the dust down!
Old 03-19-2012, 09:28 AM   #28
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fast View Post
John's right. I ain't loaning him my Motocappelini oil cooler set up. However as one of the co-founders of LAMEco, we have been working on another system. All I can say is that it's similar to the first British bikes total loss system & a five gallon can. We're still working on the weight distribution. Should also help keep the dust down!

Now thats funny stuff right there!
Old 03-19-2012, 01:26 PM   #29
Swarthy_Red_Beard
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Stoked!

Right on john and allan! Definitely wish i could make it down there with you guys. Good luck with the build. I'll be checkin in and seein the progress from across the atlantic. Maybe i'll get a wild hair and blast down if the weather is nasty when i get home.

Yeeha
Swarthy_Red_Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:06 PM   #30
Crashed Bad
Big man, little bike

Oddometer: 2,185
Since I can't commit the time to race or chase, I ill try to meet you guys in Cabo for a couple of days to celebrate!