User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2015, 09:30 PM   #1
Proettermann OP
The Mule

Oddometer: 133
Talking 2015 KTM 690 Enduro R Setup for Tall Riders

I have searched a lot, but have not found a thread outlining ergonomic mods for a tall person riding the 2015 KTM 690 Enduro R. Hopefully the following will help anyone looking to adapt a great motorcycle to his/her height. I am 195cm or 6.4ft, and weigh 205lbs on an ideal day and 210lbs most of the time. I use my Enduro R 70/30 pavement/dirt, and also commute on it to work about once a week (30 miles roundtrip).

Knight Design lowered footpegs
Anything to reduce my knee bend is welcome, therefore I chose to start with lowered footpegs. I had been eyeing Knight Design since my KLR days and always liked their concept, also from what I gather this is the “Best Drop for the Buck”. The peg position is lowered by 22mm or ⅞ of an inch compared to stock, which is a true improvement. The pegs look massive, but they are extremely light (whittled out of a block of aluminum). Riding impressions: seated riding much more comfortable, even with the stock seat, as the knee bend is reduced and as it is easier to stand up when needed. Mud clad boots grip well in the “Tracker Tread”. One item to note is: since the peg platform (surface where the boot is placed) is lower than the mounting position, it takes some time getting used to the fact that one can no longer place the boot directly adjacent to the frame - this will not affect those who do not overthink $hit like I do =)
Vendor Review: Knight Design is extremely responsive, easy to deal with and delivered fast. Packaging was excellent and I love the product. I recommend them to anyone who does not want to shell out $200 plus for lowered pegs.

Side-by-side comparison between OEM and Knight Design pegs

Height of the lowered pegs relative to default control settings

Blending in nicely

Rox Low Pro Pivot Risers
Standing on the lowered footpegs is great, yet I love riding standing upright for extended periods of time. The relatively low handlebar position of the OEM setup is not comfortable for a tall rider, as it is too low. I have used Rox Pivot Risers in the past and was very pleased with the ability to seamlessly adjust until I was satisfied with the position. The Rox Low Pro Pivot Risers provide 44mm or 1 of an inch rise over stock. Despite the claim that the Rox Low Pro Pivot Riser was specifically designed for the KTM 690, it is NOT a plug and play installation. I think it took me about 2.5 hours. Granted this was my first time disassembling body parts, and headlight mask on the new Katoom, and there was a lot of collateral cleaning (as in oh look, there is a some dust, let’s return it to better than new condition…). At least in my case there was not enough cable slack to simply pull up the bars and mount the risers. After unmounting the clamps I noticed that the bars could be raised maybe inch without the need for surgery, not more. Off came the body panels to see where slack could be gained. Hmm. The most restrictive of all lines is the hydraulic clutch line. I undid/redid some restrictive cable ties and produced some slack behind the headlamp mask, I pivoted the Rox Risers forward in an effort to minimize lower the cable slack needed, as the rise takes up so much, and I moved the handlebar controls inward by about a little over 10mm or close to inch, finally I rotated the handlebars (limiting the rear sweep) up which further brings the controls closer to where their lines are routed. All that allowed me to mount the risers in a way which prevents any pulling/binding issues of control cables, even at full left/right steer. Fortunately I am happy with the position the bars are in now, yet if you are looking for a setup which is less forward and and gives you a little more rear sweep (i.e. bringing the bars closer to your seated position) the Rox Low Pros may not work for you.
Vendor Review: Revzilla replied to my emails within minutes and price matched the item as I found the item cheaper at some noname place. Free shipping was great: risers ordered Friday and delivered by the following Monday.

Fresh from the package, this was also when I still thought things were plug and play, haha...

The installed and adjusted risers

Here is an idea of how much I had to move the controls inward to gain enough cable slack, look at the distance/gap between the handgrip and the outside of the handlebars:

As I mentioned, I had to rotate the controls forward/down to gain additional cable slack. Here is the profile view and you can see the amount of rotation by the extreme forward angle of the rearview mirrors (Doubletake Mirrors added to my wishlist, yep - it never stops):

This is the overall look after the riser install:

The following write up outlines other farkles which I felt were needed for my style of riding. While these have nothing to do with ergonomics, I chose to include them, hoping they may be helpful to someone.

Kickstand Extension
A mere $16.14 for product and shipping from the Mainland (China - for those who are unfamiliar with Aliexpress, the retail branch of Alibaba) bought me a fine aluminum Kickstand Extension, with KTM logo in OEM looks at a fraction of the cost. Great fit and finish. I am not knocking OEM products, but I did not feel like shelling out $40 plus for a piece of relatively non-essential alu.

Rear Luggage Rack
Some extensive research and comparisons between luggage racks have led me to Nikola Perun’s product. He is a one-man-shop making a black powder coated aluminum luggage rack for the Enduro R. I was looking for aesthetics as in I wanted the luggage rack to conform to the shape of the Enduro’s tail. Also I was looking for light weight, as a plastic subframe should not take such a beating. An added bonus was that the rack was pre-drilled for a Rotopax mount should I need it. Nikola is the personification of customer service - he replied to emails in detail within minutes. His product is flawless, comes with all mounting hardware, and a variety of spacers to allow for the optional install of side racks. Pricing is better than some and shipping was worry free. All arrived well packaged and undamaged straight from Belgrade - that is global business at its best.

Impression of the packaging:

Incredibly lightweight at 850g or 1lb 14oz

OEM looks

[COLOR=whiteI have a package enroute with more farkles (seat, engine/radiator protection, brake pedal extension, and horn relocation kit), and I will update once received and installed.[/COLOR]
2014 Kawasaki KLR650 New Ed. SOLD
2015 KTM 690 Enduro R

Proettermann screwed with this post 04-10-2015 at 09:02 AM
Proettermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:43 PM   #2
Anders-
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
2015 KTM 690 Enduro R Setup for Tall Riders

How about 300mm suspension? That also gives a bit more legroom :)

Joking aside, it will help keep those lowered pegs off the asphalt - esp if you plan to use motard wheels at some point.
Anders- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:13 PM   #3
Dan950ser
NW Shredder

Oddometer: 497
Good looking rack but none of the ones offered can hold anymore than 5-7 lbs when riding hard off-road. I opted to build my own that ties into the side racks for strength.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:21 AM   #4
mrgeoff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Any chance of editing the text to white? I am struggling to read it.

Went the same route with the pegs on mine, I have a 38 inch inside leg, the knight Designs pegs really help, but if you see my build thread, I was not over impressed with the finish/design, so ended up grinding them down a bit.

A more costly route for bars though, I went for a high renthal bar, but with the bonus of they come in Orange :)

Old 04-08-2015, 06:37 AM   #5
Proettermann OP
The Mule

Hi Mr. Geoff,
Thanks for the post. I will edit the font as soon as I can get to a real PC. Sorry 'bout that. Question: with the handlebars you put on, did you mount risers as well? Any cable lenghth issues?

I like the low fender.

All the best from the forgotten Colony
2015 KTM 690 Enduro R
Old 04-08-2015, 07:31 AM   #6
mrgeoff
Adventurer

The bars are Renthal RC high. No risers, (KTM standard clamps in forward hole) the height is perfect although I did a 210 mile trip Monday this week, and I wanted them forwards slightly, otherwise perfect.

Better bar picture:

Old 04-08-2015, 09:04 AM   #7
Proettermann OP
The Mule

Thanks for the detail shot of the handlebars. Looks like a sizeable rise. I, too, wanted mine forward, therefore I really appreciate the pivot action of the Rox. How much wind protetction does the Lynx offer you (it is the Lynx, correct?)
2015 KTM 690 Enduro R
Old 04-09-2015, 05:25 AM   #8
mrgeoff
Adventurer

The Lynx R with the screen in that position keeps air mostly off the body, not rode with it any higher, but by leaning down slightly where the screen is now, there is an even bigger improvement to be had in wind noise.

Any fairing make a huge improvement, even the little cowl mounted touring ones.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:07 AM   #9
Proettermann OP
The Mule

Font fixed (mostly). Thanks for your patience.

Quick update on daily use of the risers: handlebars are tall enough now that riding while standing is so comfortable, that I rode to work without using my seat (20 minute commute) today.
2015 KTM 690 Enduro R
Old 04-11-2015, 05:31 PM   #10
sethc06
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proettermann View Post
Font fixed (mostly). Thanks for your patience.

Quick update on daily use of the risers: handlebars are tall enough now that riding while standing is so comfortable, that I rode to work without using my seat (20 minute commute) today.
Why the extreme angles and moving in your controls with Rox risers ?

Just run your hyd. clutch cable on the rider side of the triple clamp. If you cut the ties behind your headlight for extra slack, then zip tie them back up to your preferred standards. With 2" risers this system works with only one cable re route.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:53 PM   #11
Proettermann OP
The Mule

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethc06 View Post
Why the extreme angles and moving in your controls with Rox risers ?

Just run your hyd. clutch cable on the rider side of the triple clamp. If you cut the ties behind your headlight for extra slack, then zip tie them back up to your preferred standards. With 2" risers this system works with only one cable re route.
I will give the clutch reroute a shot, thanks for the hint, seriously, I appreciate that. Sorry for the late reply, work, life, etc. you know the drill.
2015 KTM 690 Enduro R
Old 05-14-2015, 09:13 PM   #12
Proettermann OP
The Mule

Tall seat for tall rider

Well, the package finally arrived. Due to the exchange rate and better overall pricing in Germany, Touratech from the Vaterland was able to sell me the tall seat at 50% of what it would run me in the U.S. Considering that the "tall comfort seat" is built by Kahedo, a German manufacturer of aftermarket motorcycle seats, I did not feel bad pitching the business to those who sell at better prices.

When checking out the following, keep in mind to subtract 19% off the listed price, as Germany posts prices including the VAT, which is only applicable in Germany. The seat is complete (incl. seatpan) Good deal IMHO.
http://shop.touratech.de/komfortsitz...-smc-hoch.html

Shipping and handling was 50 Euros, which still makes the purchase a steal over the $600+ price of the same item in the U.S. Could mot stop myself and ordered a bunch of other farkles at basically half the price.

Despite being German nothing is perfect. The notch of the seatpan was not grooved to accept the OEM screw holding the front of the pan to the frame.
Up first two images of the OEM setup and how the screw sits in the pan:

Up next an image of the challenge the Touratech seatpan presented:

Checked in with Touratech Germany, who in turn checked withe Kahedo. Turns out this is a known issue what? Yet they keep making and selling it as if nothing ever happened. I was asked to put a dremel to it... That is what I did, here are the images which also show what size dremel you need. Naturally I dremeled first and then measured. Got lucky

And the finished product:

Tag / Indexing: How to install a Touratech Comfort Seat on a KTM 690 Enduro R
2015 KTM 690 Enduro R
Old 05-14-2015, 09:34 PM   #13
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 2,144
A few notes for us tall guys.

Seat Concepts is right now looking for more people that want tall seat kits, so they can make a run. Hurry and sign up in the Vendor area so I can get mine. I really like these kits.

The clutch hose is very long, if you pull the LH plastic frame cover you'll see it snaking all over the place. Wouldn't be hard to get a lot more length at the bars.

KTM has a new series of bar clamp risers (spacers). These use two bolts and are up to 50mm taller. I installed the 30mm with no work on cable lengths.

I like the ProTaper Pastrana/ATV High bars. A little taller and flat like the stockers. Many of the bars out there don't have enough room for the headlight switches, but these bars do.

Big hands - check out the Oury Street grips. Larger diameter, softer, and most importantly they are longer. They may drag on the bars because they will hang off the throttle tube. I put a piece of plastic under them so the soft rubber doesn't rub. Just cut a piece from a blister pack packaging and stick it between the throttle tube and the grip.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:35 PM   #14
Proettermann OP
The Mule

Touratec Comfort Seat Review for the KTM 690 Enduro R

As expected the Touratech seat is slightly wider than the OEM seat, yet close to the front it remains narrow enough to maintain dirtbike performance should you choose to slide toward the triple clamp. With my 35" inseam I continue to comfortably flatfoot the bike, however with much less knee angle. The height increase over OEM is listed as 20mm, which I believe to be accurate.

The design is excellent, modern, and hides the rise very well. The seat pan, and upholstery are of excellent quality. I would describe the plastic of the Kahedo pan as sturdier/more solid than the OEM pan. The locking mechanism is mounted properly (solid and in the correct spot), and works just as well as the OEM pin. The upholstery is flawless, the material is slightly grippier than the OEM material, depending on riding style that may take some getting used to.

Now on to the cushioning... Hmm. I honestly expected a slightly softer seat when compared to the OEM seat. I was wrong. Touratech makes no statements about the softness of their comfort seats, nor can one select the level of firmness. Dductive reasoning suggested that a comfort seat may be a slight improvement over OEM. That is not the case. I would describe the firmness between both seats as equal, almost leaning toward the OEM seat as the softer one (not by much though). I have ridden a mere 200 miles in the new seat, there may be somewhat of a break in period. We will see.

On to what tall folks care about: knee angle is reduced! That is very helpful, granted I paired the setup with the lowere Knights Design pegs. Reduced knee angle makes standing up from a seated position easier, or riding in a seated position more bearable. The increased width of the seat makes 200 mile trips doable without any soreness im back or legs, at least in my case. Also your short friends will no longer bum you for a weekend on your bike, hehe
2015 KTM 690 Enduro R
Old 05-27-2015, 06:45 PM   #15
Proettermann OP
The Mule

Install of Touratech Engine and Radiator Guards

Disclaimer: The Engine and Radiator Guards have nothing to do with ergonomics (unless I install highway pegs on them ), and I realize this is gradually turning into a build-thread, but decided to keep it all in one place.

History: I have dropped bikes in the dirt, and on the street, and consider it part of continuous improvement (I have adapted the "Agile" riding style...). Fortunately I have gotten away with cosmetic repairs, mostly. Yet the fear remains to crush one's radiator when 50 miles into the back country riding solo. So what insurance to choose for the Enduro? Well there is the "full-cage" Rumbux option:

While I am sure that the level of protection afforded by the Rumbux would be excellent, I just did not feel that piling on more frame-looking tubing, and associated weight was what I wanted.

The only other option I was aware of at the time was Touratech's Engine and Radiator Guards. I checked with Touratech Germany and was offered the full set for 50% less than the U.S. suppliers due to the advantageous exchange rate, no import dues, and the fact that everything was 19% off (no VAT due to out of country, personal purchase). For $150 I bought the set and was guaranteed that it would fit a 2015 KTM 690 Enduro R.

That is where my adventure started. Shipping and handling was excellent. All was in perfect condition. The instructions provided with the guards need a refresh, as the guard design is slightly different from the instructions (mine were from 2009, while the guards were manufactured in 2014). The instructions call for the use of multiple washers provided with the kits, however the amount of washers used did not leave sufficient thread on the extended bolt holding everything together, therefore I was unable to secure the nut at the end. So expect some trial and error depending on what setup you are running before this works out (TT skid plate or not, TT engine guards or not, TT radiator guards or not, or any other products mounted to that very screw etc.)

Image wise I will start from afar and work my way closer. Therefore here is the overall appearance, which I think blends in nicely:

Next up a closer look at the components

This image gives you an idea of the mounting points

Here you can see how the radiator guards are joined in the center

Now on to what presented a challenge. The engine guards were delivered with triangular pieces of metal welded to their back to add strength. While that is appreciated, said welds are in the way of spacers, and the mounting tabs of the radiator guards - also these triangular pieces will not show in the instructions:

Plan on grinding/cutting washers and radiator guards to achieve the required clearance, here is a side view

Finally an idea of how little thread is left for the nut despite severely shortening the design by many washers otherwise required by the instructions. Generous use of thread locker and weekly inspections are in order.

Would I do it again? - I would - though I will contact TT and suggest an update to their instructions and bolt length provided. Obviously I am thrilled about the price, I like the look of the final install as well. Will they hold up? I estimate low speed drops in dirt and loose rock to be well protected - a high speed slam into solid pavement may take out the setup. Cheap insurance for the intended use offroad? Yes it is.

Tag / Indexing: How to install Touratech Engine and Radiator Guards on a KTM 690 Enduro R
2015 KTM 690 Enduro R

Proettermann screwed with this post 05-27-2015 at 08:10 PM