User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2015, 10:51 AM   #1
Socaldualer OP
DualsportDork

Oddometer: 30
Bluhduh Am i missing something?

So i bought the 2014 CRF250L for my wifes first plated dualsport-its a great bike-smooth-dependable-but shes a hefty one (bike not the wifey!) at around 320 pounds. My wife is about 5-5, 120 and strong from past ironmans and tri athalons and marathons etc.., but when this thing gets to a certain point its going down-and it already has several times. She is about ready to scalp me and i feel like i might have blown it and really need to look into my options. I installed the Kouba Link-adjusted forks and pre damp and got the low profile Seat Concepts seat-it lowered it really nice so the ride height itself is not really the issue now-this thing is just freakin heavy-and even with replacing the massive exhaust and some other things like a new Acerbis plastic tank-i dont feel like the weight reduction will be enough to make her happy. Its manageable at this point-she laid it down yesterday and did manage to pick it back up by herself-i was goofing off by the rail road tracks and did not see her lay it down.
The other dualies are good bikes too but looking at weights they all weigh roughly the same and have somewhat similar ride heights etc...
I dont want to lose the plate and get her a lighter weight enduro-she likes to ride right out of the garage with me so i need to find a lighter weight-but not underpowered plated dualie.
anyone had similar quandry with their significant other?-any ideas?
Much appreciated!
Old 05-17-2015, 12:15 PM   #2
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,032
Maybe learning some different techniques for picking it up? Can't help with reducing weight much more than you have already since CA is such a bitch about registering vehicles.
I'm huge, so it's easy for me to pick up the DRZ, feels like a toy, even the GS is pretty easy.

I've seen 90lb women pick up 800lb Harleys that big men were unable to.

It's all in using the right techniques. Lots of options on youtube to review.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:25 PM   #3
Socaldualer OP
DualsportDork

Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
Maybe learning some different techniques for picking it up? Can't help with reducing weight much more than you have already since CA is such a bitch about registering vehicles.
I'm huge, so it's easy for me to pick up the DRZ, feels like a toy, even the GS is pretty easy.

I've seen 90lb women pick up 800lb Harleys that big men were unable to.

It's all in using the right techniques. Lots of options on youtube to review.
Thanks Rhubarb-now that she knows she can pick it up shes more comfortable but its just the actual weight of this bike that is the issue. I may just add the new tank and lighter pipe and a few other do-dads to get it down some more and just stick with it-hard to find anything thats dramatically lighter in the dual sport category i guess.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:30 PM   #4
pigjockey
Hognuts

Oddometer: 900
Is she always dabbing her feet? That will make a person crash very easy if the bike is still moving and the scared or unsure rider gets the foot pulled back even just a little sometimes. follow her and pay attention to HER and see what's the cause. I ride a tall bike for my size and if I dab my feet it wants to crash me sometimes. Tell her to keep her feet on the pegs even if the bike gets a little squirrely, most times it ends well unless she's flying on loose sand or gravel. Observe her and see what's the real problem. Just my findings and $.o2. And when she does lay it down have her face away from the bike crouch down to lift by the lower grip and behind the seat and use that butt to help push against the bike when it gets to that awkward point about half way up. It's all in the legs!
4:20 Its Hippy Hour

pigjockey screwed with this post 05-17-2015 at 12:38 PM
pigjockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:32 PM   #5
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,961
maybe something like an xr200 would be lighter, can find them plated sometimes.

a dr250 or 350 i think is lighter, but still about 260 or so.
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:48 PM   #6
neepuk
Such a drag...

Oddometer: 1,629
Nope, you're not missing anything... It's a bummer, and many of us have to deal with this same problem when we choose to marry riding partners. At times it gets really frustrating, sometimes it's even more frustrating for those of us that bend over backwards to find the best option available for our wife's, only to see the huge dissatisfaction when it doesn't meet here expectations.

On a positive note I've recently got my shortwife on to a plated drz400e. It's taken quite a bit of work and some expense, but the end result is pretty great. I lowered the rear with Kouba Links 2" lowering links. I matched the front lowering by adding bar-risers that allowed the forks to be slid up 1 3/4" in the triples. Normally you can't slide the forks up that high without causing clearance issues between the front tire and fender so I had to shoot the padlock off my wallet... In order to lower the bike even more and eliminate the wheel clearance problems that were created by the low-budget suspension lowering I had a custom set of Warp 9 wheels made. The front is now a 19" x 2.5" instead of the stock 21", and the rear is a matching 17" x 4.25" SuperMoto style wheel. I also bought her the Seat Concepts low seat. At 5'3 and with only a 27" inseam she can now comfortably ride a DRZ400 and she's pretty happy with it. Sure, it's still a little heavy but she can pick it up, and it's a great bike that's good on the road and great on the trails.
neepuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:41 PM   #7
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,159
I'm looking at a wife for my bike. I certainly don't get the CRF250L. Don't own one but I have put about 3,000 miles on 3 as rental bikes.

Random thought I had right now... I think marketing is meant for the hard core fans and our wives may be more objective about what the best deal on a bike is where we might be more objective on what is a better handbag.

The CRF250L has amazing

marketing! The bike sucks compared to 20 year old technology. She's right it feels heavy because it is heavy.... but it does make up for it by being underpowered! :)

I've ridden the XR200 a bit as a rental as well and it certainly is lighter. I'm thinking the CRF230L seems like a much better bike for my wife (5'4") - about 70 lbs less weight. I'm thinking the freeride as well but we do need to do some freeway sections and I hear it's not so good there.
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:48 PM   #8
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,159
By the way I just saw a 20 year old Honda dual sport that absolutely blows away any modern dual sport available today.

I was in a bike shop in Thailand and they had the street legal Honda CRM 250 in a CR250 frame nicely set up with strong subframe and 18/21" wheels and I'm guessing the plates for the CRM250.

(Somewhere else there's probably a cheam CRM250 frame/suspension running around with the faster CR250 engine. )

So how does that bike compare to the brand new CRF250L? Nearly 100 lbs lighter, suspension light years ahead, 50% more power, reliability in the same league but much cheaper/simpler to fix. (One in the shop had 72,000KM on the clock!)
Of course it's easier to pick up and after the sag settles its not that much taller.

You're not missing anything... most people say wow about new bikes because everyone else does! :)
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:56 PM   #9
Socaldualer OP
DualsportDork

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigjockey View Post
Is she always dabbing her feet? That will make a person crash very easy if the bike is still moving and the scared or unsure rider gets the foot pulled back even just a little sometimes. follow her and pay attention to HER and see what's the cause. I ride a tall bike for my size and if I dab my feet it wants to crash me sometimes. Tell her to keep her feet on the pegs even if the bike gets a little squirrely, most times it ends well unless she's flying on loose sand or gravel. Observe her and see what's the real problem. Just my findings and $.o2. And when she does lay it down have her face away from the bike crouch down to lift by the lower grip and behind the seat and use that butt to help push against the bike when it gets to that awkward point about half way up. It's all in the legs!
not now but at first yes-great observation-shes much more confident now and the problem is really only when she gets in a tight spot-usually lower speeds and it just gets past a certain point-she actually used that technique!-i watched her as i was skidding to a halt next to her.
Old 05-17-2015, 01:59 PM   #10
Socaldualer OP
DualsportDork

Quote:
Originally Posted by neepuk View Post
Nope, you're not missing anything... It's a bummer, and many of us have to deal with this same problem when we choose to marry riding partners. At times it gets really frustrating, sometimes it's even more frustrating for those of us that bend over backwards to find the best option available for our wife's, only to see the huge dissatisfaction when it doesn't meet here expectations.

On a positive note I've recently got my shortwife on to a plated drz400e. It's taken quite a bit of work and some expense, but the end result is pretty great. I lowered the rear with Kouba Links 2" lowering links. I matched the front lowering by adding bar-risers that allowed the forks to be slid up 1 3/4" in the triples. Normally you can't slide the forks up that high without causing clearance issues between the front tire and fender so I had to shoot the padlock off my wallet... In order to lower the bike even more and eliminate the wheel clearance problems that were created by the low-budget suspension lowering I had a custom set of Warp 9 wheels made. The front is now a 19" x 2.5" instead of the stock 21", and the rear is a matching 17" x 4.25" SuperMoto style wheel. I also bought her the Seat Concepts low seat. At 5'3 and with only a 27" inseam she can now comfortably ride a DRZ400 and she's pretty happy with it. Sure, it's still a little heavy but she can pick it up, and it's a great bike that's good on the road and great on the trails.
wow you did break the bank!-i dont mind spending the money i just really want her to feel comfortable and enjoy herself-you know when you ask how theyre doing and they give you the silent treatment!-yeah thats a bad sign!
Those DRZs are such great bikes-had one for a while-unbreakable and just great manners on/off the road. This Honda is fine except the weight. Thanks for the reply!
Old 05-17-2015, 02:03 PM   #11
Socaldualer OP
DualsportDork

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
I'm looking at a wife for my bike. I certainly don't get the CRF250L. Don't own one but I have put about 3,000 miles on 3 as rental bikes.

Random thought I had right now... I think marketing is meant for the hard core fans and our wives may be more objective about what the best deal on a bike is where we might be more objective on what is a better handbag.

The CRF250L has amazing

marketing! The bike sucks compared to 20 year old technology. She's right it feels heavy because it is heavy.... but it does make up for it by being underpowered! :)

I've ridden the XR200 a bit as a rental as well and it certainly is lighter. I'm thinking the CRF230L seems like a much better bike for my wife (5'4") - about 70 lbs less weight. I'm thinking the freeride as well but we do need to do some freeway sections and I hear it's not so good there.
Yep so far thats what ive heard from some others-the 230 may be the ticket but they dont make it anymore and i have not even found a used one yet.
This 250 has some more top end to make the freeway sections more enjoyable and we tend to ride a little more paved than dirt due to our location-but nothing is worse than the look i get when she lays it down and starts yelling about how heavy and sluggish it is. Appreciate the feedback!
Old 05-17-2015, 02:05 PM   #12
shaner1100gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by neepuk View Post

You know you can lower the DRZ400 with a piece of pvc and cutting the spring. You just add a piece of pvc 2" or what every you want to the end of the damping rod. Then you cut that same amount off of the spring. Then you don't have to slide the forks up the triple trees. You could put the 21 back on and not worry about bottoming out.
shaner1100gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 02:14 PM   #13
xaman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
My wife learned on a TW200, and hasn't rideen anything since that she didn't complain about the weight and height. I sold it because of freeway needs -- it was falling just short of being able to maintain appropriate speeds.

Procycle recently mentioned in another thread that they are working on a big bore kit for the TW... So depending on how much extra juice they squeeze out of it, I may end up going full circle and buying her another.

If your wife is like mine, once she decides she likes something (or doesn't like something) it's pretty much set in stone. I can argue her into agreement momentarily, but it never lasts.
xaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 02:20 PM   #14
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,826
I'm missing something: why would you buy your wife a bike nearly 70lbs heavier, with less than half the power of yours and bargain basement suspension? Get her another 350EXC-F and have it lowered by a good suspension shop. She won't have to be picking it up all the time, either.
cjbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 02:36 PM   #15
Socaldualer OP
DualsportDork

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
I'm missing something: why would you buy your wife a bike nearly 70lbs heavier, with less than half the power of yours and bargain basement suspension? Get her another 350EXC-F and have it lowered by a good suspension shop. She won't have to be picking it up all the time, either.
well look at you mr. Money Bags!
I know right!?
Damnit thats the nuclear option-i know she would like it and she did ride mine and raved about the quick pickup and that if felt a lot lighter-but shes got a ways to go to for me to feel real comfortable on a bike like mine.
Ive been keeping this option in my back pocket but man that price tag hurts!