User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2013, 03:44 AM   #1
Mtrain OP
free range

Oddometer: 437
current 690 situation?

Just looking for some info/advice. My brother in law bought a new 690 just over twelve months ago and loved it when he got it. The problem is it has been completely unreliable. He has had three replacement fuel pumps and recently it did this backfire thing and the tps sensor came off. Later on a different ride it did the same thing and apparently blew off and cracked the tps and shot out a spring and some other bits. The bike has not even made it to the 10,000k first service(its had the 1000k running in service).
I was under the impression that the issues with the 690 were sorted, but not with this one.
Apparently the dealer seemed not super concerned and implied that hopefully he won't have to pay much to get it fixed. My reaction is that Id be going to KTM head office and demanding a new bike since this one hasn't even lasted 10,000ks.
Im interested in what people think, are there still dud 690s coming out and are these both still known issues.
Has any one else had any luck getting a bike replaced in this sort of situation.
Please no Ktm bashing or brand loyalty bullshit, Im just trying to get some advice for a mate.
Mtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:11 AM   #2
Superstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtrain View Post
Just looking for some info/advice. My brother in law bought a new 690 just over twelve months ago and loved it when he got it. The problem is it has been completely unreliable. He has had three replacement fuel pumps and recently it did this backfire thing and the tps sensor came off. Later on a different ride it did the same thing and apparently blew off and cracked the tps and shot out a spring and some other bits. The bike has not even made it to the 10,000k first service(its had the 1000k running in service).
I was under the impression that the issues with the 690 were sorted, but not with this one.
Apparently the dealer seemed not super concerned and implied that hopefully he won't have to pay much to get it fixed. My reaction is that Id be going to KTM head office and demanding a new bike since this one hasn't even lasted 10,000ks.
Im interested in what people think, are there still dud 690s coming out and are these both still known issues.
Has any one else had any luck getting a bike replaced in this sort of situation.
Please no Ktm bashing or brand loyalty bullshit, Im just trying to get some advice for a mate.

Do they have lemon laws where you live?
Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 980
i know in fla., lemon laws don't apply to motorcycles.....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #4
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Sometimes it's the mechanic and not the vehicle.
2010 Ducati 1198S
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #5
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,661
The 690 is a hot stripper that steals your wallet, your keys and kicks you in the nuts with her stilletos after almost giving you a BJ.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:52 AM   #6
Mtrain OP
free range

Oddometer: 437
I Don't know about Lemon laws but consumer protection laws say that a product should last a reasonable time regardless of the manufacturers warranty.
Regarding the mechanic this bike hasn't had much chance for the owner to fuck it up as its been in the shop so much he hasn't had to do anything to it.
was curious if any one has had this backfire thing happen.
Also I thought people had solved the fuel pump issues but didn't know how.
Any more advice would be appreciated.
Mtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:15 AM   #7
firecrotch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Hmm, hope some current new owners chime in. I was considering one of these next summer.
firecrotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:05 AM   #8
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,649
All you need to know is in the Wunderfest thread.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722987

The bike has rough edges but what the OP is describing is pretty rare. My 08 (first year bike) has 14,000 miles on it with no issues. There are others out there like Dandini and RoninMoto who've gone RTW and they have been very open about the problems they ran into. I would suspect the mechanic at the shop is doing something wrong or your brother is getting debris/dirt in the fuel and that's wiping out the pumps 3 in a row means something else is not right.
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:02 AM   #9
13x
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
had my 2013 ER for 10 mths now, only problem i had was rocker arm clearance on my 10k km service. Dealer replaced it for me under warranty, currently @ 19k km now.

fuel pump and sensors running fine so far.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:45 AM   #10
CordR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
For the most part, the issues you are talking about are a tiny minority if you go by the Wunderfest thread.

I have an 08 with 20K km on it and haven't had any serious mechanical issues (other than me doing ill advised things to it).

This may be a generalization, but outside of the common fixes - change the muffler, tank bolts etc, then the next level of preventative fixes - replace the fuel pump etc, the great majority of riders are pleased with the bike. People come to the forum to discuss minor to major issues and seek advice, but that makes it seem like people are always having problems.

I think you can get a lemon from any brand at any time. Personally, I would start putting pressure on the dealer to have them sort it out at the corporate level. The threat of the dealer having to do more work or possibly bring in a new bike may be enough for them to dig into this seriously. Whether it's something they can fix or not, let them know you're not going away quietly.

Your bro-in-law paid for a new bike and had it under warranty, so I'd say that it's unacceptable and is certainly not the norm for a 690.
CordR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #11
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,714
I have a 12. Only 5k miles, but no issues at all. Mine is stock except for travel and comfort mods.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #12
Quij95
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I just bought an 09' with no dirt miles on it. took it out for its first mud ride and noticed a large accumilation of mud and dirt around the fuel filler cap just waiting to fall in when i remove the cap. I makes me think maybe that dirt in the tank can cause the fuel pump to fail. so i ordered a new fuel full cap and base from Rally-Raid. Should be here today.
Quij95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #13
Quij95
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Also
MTRAIN, 3 pump changes would tell me the root cause is not the pump but somthing other. Your friend should find a mechanic who can troubleshoot the cause of the failure.
Quij95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:02 AM   #14
NovaMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
That bike sounds like a pile. I'd run down the dealer and KTM USA for a replacement bike.
NovaMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:16 AM   #15
Sethro303
Master of Disaster

Oddometer: 148

I purchased a lightly used '08 in July with 1200 miles on the clock. Currently have 33,500 miles on the odo and have experienced a few common issues covered in the wunderfest, as well as at www.ktm690.info (IAT sensor wires broken, "fogging" of instrument cluster.)

As far as your Bro-in-law is concerned. I would try to work with the dealer he purchased it from/serviced it with first. Be polite and request that they kindly take the previous repair history into account (as well as the documented down-time of the bike), because all of the big brands do offer out-of-warranty coverage "good-will repairs" is requested properly. This is NOT a customer right, but a way that brands take care of their customers and build loyalty. Normally, the dealer service manager will request goodwill repairs through the Brands' Regional Service Rep.

The one thing he shouldn't do is go into the dealer, demand the bike be repaired free of charge and start talking about lemon laws and lawyers. This normally shuts down all future hopes of resolving the situation in a civilized, timely manner.

That being said, if you have already gone the nice guy route and gotten the from the local dealer, it may be time to consult a attorney to find out what your options are.

Good luck!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/
Sethro303 is offline   Reply With Quote