Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 11:12 AM   #166
GlennR OP
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
I have made several bikes street legal, but not a WR450F, so what I would like to know what are the main things that need to be done to make it both trail and road ready. Lights, switches, horn, turn signals are not what info I need, I need info on gearing and any engine mods if needed. Can this bike be ridden, say 200 miles per day and the engine work fine under those highway conditions. Are valve adjustment a problem on this bike, or can you go 5000-6000 without having to adjust them. I guess what I'm most concerned with is the engine and what to expect from it. Thanks for any info.

John

It's always wise to check the valves regularly, but most report that they rarely move. There's no cushion for the tranny, so that is a concern when riding lots of pavement. Some have swapped the clutch basket from a YFZ450 quad, which has springs in it, and some riders have swapped the rear hub out for a cush hub. I've read that there's a Husky with a cush hub that's an easy swap, but I don't know any details. Most folks that d/s on the WR450 just try to be sane on the pavement to protect the gears, and cross their fingers. The YFZ clutch basket is only about $50-60 on ebay, and is a simple swap from what I've heard. Personally, I don't put many road miles on mine, so I haven't bothered. I figure knobbies probably "cushion" the gear
a bit.

Btw, mine gets crappy mpg (30). Might get better if I played with the jets.... I have an Acerbis 3.3gal which gets me about 100 miles between gas stations.

You will really appreciate the performance advantage over the DRZ!
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:15 AM   #167
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
I have made several bikes street legal, but not a WR450F, so what I would like to know what are the main things that need to be done to make it both trail and road ready. Lights, switches, horn, turn signals are not what info I need, I need info on gearing and any engine mods if needed. Can this bike be ridden, say 200 miles per day and the engine work fine under those highway conditions. Are valve adjustment a problem on this bike, or can you go 5000-6000 without having to adjust them. I guess what I'm most concerned with is the engine and what to expect from it. Thanks for any info.

John
Found this link with a quick Google search, seems to cover the questions pretty well. Not all the links in it work tho.

Here's the ad for the bike I was thinking of. After reading a bunch, tho, wonder if this is the right bike yet. Really don't like the small oil reserve on these (basically) MotoX engines. Same problem with the CRF450.

Here's a link I just received this morning from a friend in Colorado, helps get my juices flowing. (Maybe by the time this route is published I'll have the bike to ride it.)
Old 03-24-2013, 07:59 AM   #168
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,187
I have a cush hub, so far about 160hrs on my bike no problems. one time I had to adjust valves so far. I have a cush hub, but it was not cheap. I get 45-50mpg on the road.

n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:35 AM   #169
GlennR OP
Playin' in the Fire

Man! You guys are hardcore riding in the snow with chains!

I'm a puss....When it snows here I strap the chainsaw onto the ATV and go clear logs from the trails. I can't handle the cold at bike speeds. I take our dogs along and they love the exercise, for the first 4 hours anyway.

The trails are so beautiful in White, I just wish it wasn't so cold...
Old 04-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #170
andrewgore
Team MGH

Oddometer: 3,110
I'm in the process of finding a WR450F. I race (harescramble\enduro) a 2005 YZ250F (with wr250f trans swap), but want something with more legs for when we do trail rides up north. It'd also be nice to have a solid backup bike if my race bike goes down, I'd have no issue racing the WR450F.

I'm looking at a 2005 next weekend, which would be nice, as I have an oversized IMS tank for my YZ250F already that will fit the WR nicely.

Anyone ridden an older one back to back with a 2012 FI model? I rode my friends 2012 last weekend, and sweet word, the power on that was just lovely, and the throttle response.....beautiful. I don't expect a carb'd version to be quite that nice, but be nice to know it's relatively close.

Andrew
andrewgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #171
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,187
My friend has a 12... he has starting issues sometimes but otherwise the snap is really nice. I would go with the 07-later...
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #172
andrewgore
Team MGH

My buddies 12 hasn't had any starting issues that I know of. He has the gytr ecu in it though, and has the tuner as well, so maybe it's not an issue for him?

Any reasoning for the 07+ aside from Aluminum frame? I get that the suspension will be a bit newer, but IIRC, the WR450F didn't get the KYB SSS until 2011 or so?

I've liked the ease of accessibility on my steel framed YZ250F. I can actually get to the carb without removing half the bike.

Andrew
Old 04-18-2013, 08:07 AM   #173
andrewgore
Team MGH

And so it begins......

I installed the GYTR AIS removal kit & jetting last night. I also nabbed my IMS Oversized tank off my YZ250F and put it on the WR. I need to get some levers for it, and put in a little cleaning time on it, but should prove to be a good scoot.

I'll probably be sourcing a frame\title combo to get this thing plated as well. Not a big rush though at this point.

Andrew
Old 04-19-2013, 10:19 AM   #174
jonova
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
What rear license plate holder is that? It looks awesome!

It doesn't look like the Tusk version....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by protondecay123 View Post

Old 04-19-2013, 07:33 PM   #175
Jonathan75
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Anybody know where to find lowered pegs for the wr450f. I am 6'5" and need all the room i can get. Any help would be great thanks.For a 2012 BTW.
Jonathan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:36 AM   #176
GlennR OP
Playin' in the Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan75 View Post
Anybody know where to find lowered pegs for the wr450f. I am 6'5" and need all the room i can get. Any help would be great thanks.For a 2012 BTW.

Have you already raised the handlebars?
Old 08-02-2013, 02:31 PM   #177
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan75 View Post
You need taller seat, lowered pegs and taller bars. I'm 6,3 and have all of them.
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #178
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Safari tank 4.1 for 03-06

Since there are so few pictures out there for it. I got one at close out price.

Stock, vs Safari 4.1 vs acherbis 6.6

Old 08-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #179
andrewgore
Team MGH

Thanks for posting those pics of the various tanks. I'm looking to swap my IMS 3.6 gallon tank in favor of the Acerbis 6.6 gallon tank. Mostly so that when I get around to making a fairing for the bike, I'll be able to mate up with the tank a bit nicer.

That being said, the IMS tank I think does the best job at not feeling any larger than stock. The height of it is nearly identical with the OEM tank.

Andrew
Old 08-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #180
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgore View Post
Thanks for posting those pics of the various tanks. I'm looking to swap my IMS 3.6 gallon tank in favor of the Acerbis 6.6 gallon tank. Mostly so that when I get around to making a fairing for the bike, I'll be able to mate up with the tank a bit nicer.

That being said, the IMS tank I think does the best job at not feeling any larger than stock. The height of it is nearly identical with the OEM tank.

Andrew

The 6.6 is a beast and really sucks if you are tall. i had one on my 05. I have one for my 06 but only plan to use it when I need crazy range.

The IMS you posted is only 3.1, I had one on my 05. The safari tank honestly almost fees stock between the legs. most rides I don't need more than 4.1 but I need more than 3.3.