Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2012, 07:15 AM   #16
GlennR OP
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,993
It would be easier with an odometer. My oil looked new on the dipstick when I bought the bike, so I rode it a couple of weeks and just changed it yesterday.

Do you have a copy of the manual? You can get a pdf copy from the Yamaha Australia website (can't find the link, got it on TT, I think)

The manual says every 1000 km (621 miles) , but also has a disclaimer at the top of the page that says to adjust your intervals depending on conditions. So, easy riding in a clean environment means less often and hard riding (racing) in muddy or dusty conditions mean more often.

I'll just plan to change it every month during the riding season, checking the oil level and color every few rides. When it turns dark it's time to change.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:11 AM   #17
ghostdncr
Burnin' daylight...

Oddometer: 1,122
Here's a direct link to Yamaha's Australian website with all available manuals in pdf format. Just select your model from the drop down menus and have at it: http://www.yamahaownershandbook.com.au/?r=0

According to page 3-1 of the manual (Regular Inspection and Adjustments, Maintenance Intervals), oil changes after break-in are to be every 1000 km (621 miles).

ghostdncr screwed with this post 04-02-2012 at 08:20 AM
ghostdncr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:19 AM   #18
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,323
Eek

My manual states 1000km oil changes race schedule. My oil would look like tar after that in singletrack kms
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:34 AM   #19
ghostdncr
Burnin' daylight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by n16ht5 View Post
My manual states 1000km oil changes race schedule. My oil would look like tar after that in singletrack kms
Riding singletrack is harder on oil than racing? What am I missing here? Just got my WR so have no experience with this bike to speak of, but that sounds counter intuitive.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:43 AM   #20
n16ht5
ride the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostdncr View Post
Riding singletrack is harder on oil than racing? What am I missing here? Just got my WR so have no experience with this bike to speak of, but that sounds counter intuitive.
if I raced 1000km it would probably look like paste

as of now I am going to change it every 7-10 hours. I go by hr meter
Old 04-02-2012, 10:47 AM   #21
ghostdncr
Burnin' daylight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by n16ht5 View Post
if I raced 1000km it would probably look like paste
That makes a lot more sense! Thanks for putting it into context.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:06 AM   #22
the_overlooker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
guys there is a PDF version of the WR450F manual available on line, google search it, i cant remember where i found it. Also for the grey wire mod, airbox mod and throttle stop mod, jump onto youtube and search dirtbikevids, the dude does the mods and shows you exactly what you need to do.
Mark
Old 04-24-2012, 07:31 AM   #23
GlennR OP
Playin' in the Fire

Here's the link to ALL the Yamaha manuals. http://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/support

I'll have to check out the video of the mods. I'd assumed that they had been done on my bike since the AIS had been, but found that the gray wire was still connected. Maybe there's a good video showing how to remove the carb too. I just love a good how-to video, just wish that they were all "good".
Old 04-24-2012, 07:49 AM   #24
GlennR OP
Playin' in the Fire

I've been having a blast riding the WR450. I have been pulling wheelies in 4th gear. That's after I unplugged the gray wire.

The Dunlop 756 was new 2 months ago.... Now it's about done. I'm thinking about trying the Pirelli MT-43 trials DOT rear next. Everybody raves about how they love it, and will never go back to knobbies. I'm hearing to the rally in Laurel Springs on May 16th, so I need it mounted by then. Can't be showing up to a rally with a slick tire.

Also, I just ordered a rear wheel from a Suzuki SV650 to modify to the WR450, so I can run 17" street tires. I figure that should be a lot of fun up here in the NC mountains. I'll be getting one for the front too, but figured I'd get the rear figured out first. I might try it out on a track, except the nearest one I've heard about are 3 hours away. I live between Bristol and Wilkesboro, you'd think they'd have track days for motards some.

Still need to find or fab up some rear footpegs.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #25
GlennR OP
Playin' in the Fire

Thumb

Here's a great deal on an 09' Dual Sported WR450 for somebody near Chicago. $2600

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/mcy/2982424679.html
Old 04-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #26
n16ht5
ride the night

The mt43 really is that good. Dont blther with street tires, ithooks uplikemad
Old 04-28-2012, 01:11 PM   #27
GlennR OP
Playin' in the Fire

I'm ordering the MT-43 as soon as I can decide on which street tires to order for my 17" sumo conversion wheels, so I'll get the free shipping. Can't miss out on that...

My motto is "A $1 saved is a BEER!"
Old 04-30-2012, 06:55 AM   #28
GlennR OP
Playin' in the Fire

Here is a good thread to read if you're considering a WR450 and wondering how dependable they are.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/957...ts-your-story/

and here's a dual sport tour company in the Philippines that uses them as their main bikes

http://www.philippineoffroadadventures.com/ Looks like a great adventure and good prices, $1750 for 11 days.

The more I read about WR450's, the more I wonder why more of them aren't plated and why there's not a 500+ page thread about them here.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:04 PM   #29
Ninja77
WiLD DoG

Oddometer: 49
Testing
Ninja77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #30
Ninja77
WiLD DoG

Oddometer: 49
Hey my seventh try worked at login in and making a post, jeez its a complicated pita.
anyhow

Nice to meet you bunch of old farts on enduro DS's. I have a plated WR 07 myself and will be popin in here regularly as the Sarfefrican dogs have not yet smelt the coffee and dont know what they are missing.
I oil my bike down every 10hrs, change the filter every second oil change and get 15km/l, about 70miles to the tank for the yanks that dont know km/l yet. All free mods are done eccept the yz mapping, it surges even more than the WR mapping. I am also looking @ a bigger non safari tank (overpriced) and a rack. I am doing a gps and fan install soon, so I will check in again soon with updates.
Cheers

ps. my valves has always been in speck and I'm on 7500km/5000mls.
Ninja77 is offline   Reply With Quote