Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #31
Ninja77
WiLD DoG

Oddometer: 49
Heres a pic of my dirty and fully packed bike at the WC bash.

in action

Ninja77 screwed with this post 05-01-2012 at 03:14 PM Reason: picture
Ninja77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:12 PM   #32
GlennR OP
Bikini Waxer

Oddometer: 1,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja77 View Post
Hey my seventh try worked at login in and making a post, jeez its a complicated pita.
anyhow

Nice to meet you bunch of old farts on enduro DS's. I have a plated WR 07 myself and will be popin in here regularly as the Sarfefrican dogs have not yet smelt the coffee and dont know what they are missing.
I oil my bike down every 10hrs, change the filter every second oil change and get 15km/l, about 70miles to the tank for the yanks that dont know km/l yet. All free mods are done eccept the yz mapping, it surges even more than the WR mapping. I am also looking @ a bigger non safari tank (overpriced) and a rack. I am doing a gps and fan install soon, so I will check in again soon with updates.
Cheers

ps. my valves has always been in speck and I'm on 7500km/5000mls.

Too bad shipping is so high because I've seen a very large Acerbis on ebay for about $260.

My bike was stuttering, I think it was the TPS. I finally just unplugged it and also unplugged the gray wire ( for YZ mapping, I think). It runs better now, but I think the carb still needs work, because I have problems sometimes sputtering up hills. Not really looting forward to tearing into it, but seems to be "the thing to do".

I can see you do need a rack. Way to travel. I'm hoping to get some distance rides in too.

Good to meet another WR450 dual sporter.

free/online Motorcycle Repair Course-
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #33
Ninja77
WiLD DoG

I installed my GPS and radiator fan today.
First I stripped the bike to get in were I need to.

I made a quick mockup of what I wanted.

Strarting with the electronics. The box contains a fan switch, a 12V plug and a keyed ignition switch.

Took the left radiator and started with the brackets, its 2mm aluminum angle brackets.

I placed the controller box behind the handlebars

The fan is a Yamaha YZF-R125/150 part and is made by Panasonic. Its a tight fit but fits perfectly, also it does not take too mush of a draw from the charging circuit.

Installed all parts and some body work

GPS working and fitting perfectly.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:38 PM   #34
GlennR OP
Bikini Waxer

Ninja77,

Great job! On the bike & all the photos.

Looks like you did it up right. I really like the panel with the keyed switch & 12V outlet. I haven't parked mine anywhere "public" yet since it doesn't have a keyed switch, yet. I do have a big cable & pad lock, but that is a bit "too much". The 12V outlet will be handy for an air compressor and other things. I'd think it could be used for charging the bike's battery without needing to remove the seat, maybe?

I noticed the need for a fan the first week I had my WR. Slow uphill riding heat her up quick. It's on my "to do list".

I've been working towards getting my street mag Sumo conversion wheels parts together and figuring out the machine work to get them fitted.
I have the wheels (an SV650 rear & cush hub, and a GSXR750 front) and brake rotors. I ordered the tires (Bridgestone BT-016) and a new dirt rear tire (Pirelli MT-43, a DOT trials) this morning. I still need to order a sprocket, which needs to be a "520 conversion" for the SV650 hub. And also need to order the bearings & seals.

Hopefully, I'll be industrious and get the "work" part of this project done as quickly as the "shopping" part......, but everyone knows shopping is the easy part!

Old 05-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #35
Ninja77
WiLD DoG

My moto wheels are normal WR/YZ hubs with excel rims and Maxxis street rubber with a 45 instead of the 50 tooth rear sprocket, I never use them though. I bought it on the bike and took them off as soon as I got home. I did drive 450km with then on on my way home.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #36
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,714
Seems as tho I inquired about a WR450 as a DS about a year back or so on here. I was advised against it due to high vibration and short maint intervals. Doesn't look like that is a problem tho....might have to put that back on the list )
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:31 PM   #37
GlennR OP
Bikini Waxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja77 View Post
My moto wheels are normal WR/YZ hubs with excel rims and Maxxis street rubber with a 45 instead of the 50 tooth rear sprocket, I never use them though. I bought it on the bike and took them off as soon as I got home. I did drive 450km with then on on my way home.

I live in the NC mountains and there are a lot of great twisty paved roads all around here. There's a good bit of dirt & gravel roads too, but none that go very far. "Progress" keeps paving more & more. If I lived in a vast open area with miles & miles of unpaved roads I wouldn't bother with the street wheels either. But here it will be like having 2 bikes, for just a little work & a little money.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #38
GlennR OP
Bikini Waxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
Seems as tho I inquired about a WR450 as a DS about a year back or so on here. I was advised against it due to high vibration and short maint intervals. Doesn't look like that is a problem tho....might have to put that back on the list )

The more you read about them the more good things you hear. ThumperTalk has a good section just for WR450's and Supermoto Junkie has a lot about them too.

I think they are overlooked by a lot of folks because they don't come street legal, but in many states it's as simple as adding a horn, DOT tires, and a hi/lo headlight. There are kits starting around $200. Start looking around at the prices and you'll be surprised to see that the prices are about the same, or often less than the same year DRZ400. The WR450 is about 25 lbs lighter and has so much more power. They are definitely worth a "test ride".

Old 05-04-2012, 06:29 AM   #39
ghostdncr
Burnin' daylight...

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
I think they are overlooked by a lot of folks because they don't come street legal, but in many states it's as simple as adding a horn, DOT tires, and a hi/lo headlight. There are kits starting around $200. Start looking around at the prices and you'll be surprised to see that the prices are about the same, or often less than the same year DRZ400. The WR450 is about 25 lbs lighter and has so much more power. They are definitely worth a "test ride".
I sold my DRZ back in February and bought an '05 WR last month. They are two completely different animals, from what I've seen during my limited riding time on the Yamaha. I've spent most of the last month working mine toward being street legal and while Kentucky isn't one of the most difficult states in which to plate a dirt bike, it's quite a ways from the easiest. The process went remarkably easy for me, culminating in a title and plate on the first attempt. Makes me wonder if these bikes are really that difficult to get plated or if many people are just that inept at following directions?

My DRZ had just about every performance modification there is, short of a big bore kit, and it came up sadly lacking in the power department. That is NOT proving to be an issue with the WR, and it's pretty awesome riding a bike whose capabilities so far out class mine.
ghostdncr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:41 AM   #40
GlennR OP
Bikini Waxer

Earlier I mentioned that I bought a GSXR750 front wheel for the Sumo conversion. I've learned that it's not exactly like the SV650 wheel, the brake rotors are not interchangable....and it seems that the GSXR750 one cost quite a bit more!

The main lesson I've learned is to "buy a complete wheel" including the brake rotors, because the price is more if you have to buy it seperately (they even charge for the screws to mount the rotors!) and you have the "compatibility issues". One wrong part can really screw the budget!

Old 05-04-2012, 09:32 AM   #41
Ninja77
WiLD DoG

Hi guys, I went out to test my new equipment today. 3Hours of enduro type mountain climbing with the fan and GPS on. The bike did not overheat once allthough I was only using 1st and 2nd deliberatly, the GPS had no hicups. When I came down I killed the bike via kill switch and left the ignition on so the GPS, fan and rear light were all on, waited a few seconds and sterted it up with the starter from battery. No problems, all works perfectly and it does not drain the battery. I'm happy with the final results.

Here's the bike in the moto kit.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #42
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,085
wow, nice bike.
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #43
GlennR OP
Bikini Waxer

I'm still trying to figure out how to post images. It sure could be simpler....

You guys were probably wondering if I really had a bike at all, but I just didn't know how to post pictures.

Here's another.

Btw, I don't understand why so many folks black out their tags. Everybody riding behind me can see it, right?

Old 05-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #44
GlennR OP
Bikini Waxer

(Hmm? For some reason photobucket doesn't want to post the rotated image.)

Driver's seat view.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #45
GlennR OP
Bikini Waxer

Well.....I can sort'a post images.

I'll be upgading to some real mirrors asap. The one that's on now is a joke.

I also have a large Acerbis tank (3.4 or 3.6? gallons), but one of it's threaded inserts for mounting to the radiator is stripped inside the plastic. It's not weakened because of it, but it takes a while to attach. I'm still having some carb issues that need to be cured before mounting the tank for good.
(I "should" be fixing that instead of spending my time on the Sumo wheels)

Maybe I should contact Acerbis to see if I can get the tank fixed. That would be nice. The tank will need to be removed on a regular basis just for routine maintainence.