Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #46
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,306
Dang that looks good! How much was the seat?
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:15 PM   #47
GlennR OP
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by n16ht5 View Post
Dang that looks good! How much was the seat?
Thanks. I like the way it looks too.

It was $159 (free shipping for ADV members) from Seat Concepts. It's their standard WR450 seat with gripper material. You have to install it onto the stock Yamaha seat pan, or they will do it for an extra $20.

I just tested it today for about 100 miles and it was great.

The only negative thing about the gripper material is that after it gets dirty you can't ever get it looking new again. The grippy texture grips mud particles too. Of course it not a "big deal". They also offer a lot of other materials & colors that would be easy to clean, but you really need the grip on a powerful bike like the WR450.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:09 PM   #48
GlennR OP
Playin' in the Fire

I was just looking on Bikefinds.com and saw that there's two 08's like mine that are street legal for sale in the southeast, sort of near me. One's in Knoxville, TN and the other is in Charlottesville, VA and there's an 03' in Georgia which has a dual sport kit included, but not tagged yet.`

Here's the listing: http://www.bikefinds.com/yamaha-wr45...-sale-in-south Bikefinds is a great way to find the dirtbikes you're looking for across the country, and it makes comparing prices easy.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:54 PM   #49
Ninja77
WiLD DoG

Oddometer: 49
I did some mixed riding today through some orchards and vinyards and some gravel and slab. Enjoyed it imensly. I got 90km/60mls when I had to switch to reserve and another 10km to town, fulled up with 6.7L of fuel out of the 8L capasity, thus only 1.25L was still available. I'm not anal about consumption in any way and dont care if it was 10 or 20km/l. But what the hell, why does an ENDURO bike only have a 120km or 70mile range if driven casually?
1- What consumption do your WRs have?
2- Whats the range on other brand 450/500 enduros?

I definitly need a BIG tank on this bike, cuase I filled up and went riding again till it was dark outside.
And the biggest tank from IMS, Clarke and Acerbis is a 3.6G/13.6L, WTF!! (Safari too expensive) I want 16+L for a 250km/150mile range.
Ninja77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #50
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
Checked the valves today and they were perfect. What a PITA, but I know it will be quicker & simpler next time. I will check them again, but not real soon. Installed a new spark plug which seemed to make her happy, cause she fired up almost before I pressed the button.

The oil looks good, so I'll order some filters and change it in a week or two since she's new to me, but I'm planning on riding every day this coming week.

TRED,
Thanks for the tips I think they've been done, but I'll check. For now she feels like a screamer to me.
Glenn, There is no need to check the WR valves that often as many guys have found that they dont move throughout an entire years worth of weekend racing. Many guys also suggest using leaded race fuel or a lead substitute which greatly adds to the longevity of the valves and has been shown to prevent the valves from tightening at a fast rate without any negative or adverse effects.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #51
GlennR OP
Playin' in the Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja77 View Post
I did some mixed riding today through some orchards and vinyards and some gravel and slab. Enjoyed it imensly. I got 90km/60mls when I had to switch to reserve and another 10km to town, fulled up with 6.7L of fuel out of the 8L capasity, thus only 1.25L was still available. I'm not anal about consumption in any way and dont care if it was 10 or 20km/l. But what the hell, why does an ENDURO bike only have a 120km or 70mile range if driven casually?

I definitly need a BIG tank on this bike, cuase I filled up and went riding again till it was dark outside.
And the biggest tank from IMS, Clarke and Acerbis is a 3.6G/13.6L, WTF!! (Safari too expensive) I want 16+L for a 250km/150mile range.

Ninja77,
That landscape you posted is incredible. I'd want to ride and explore it from sunrise till sunset everyday. The WR450 is a gas hog. Mine isn't running quite right, either the carb's not right or it's missing. I'm not sure, but am going to an ADV rally in 2 weeks and will ask the experts....... if I can catch em' sober! I've only been getting about 30mpg. My buddy has a brand new Husaberg FE570 with fuel injection and is getting about 45mpg when we've ridden together. I'm hoping that I can "fix" my bike and manage to get closer to 40mpg.

Here's the Acerbis 6.6 gallon tank I found on ebay. It might be worth the shipping costs, since the price seems really good, $260 US. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acerbis-6-6-...d70c13&vxp=mtr

You'll probably need to upgrade your springs to be able to carry 6.6 gallons, or maybe just tie helium ballons to your handlebars.

edit: I just noticed that the 6.6 gallon tank is for the steel frame WR's. Still might be worth looking into.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:33 PM   #52
n16ht5
ride the night

you might be running way rich... I have a clarke 3.6g and can ride pretty much all day on one tankfull. Gets better mileage than my old XR650L
Old 05-07-2012, 04:25 AM   #53
the_overlooker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Sorry to butt in but to me it sounds as tho u guys in the states are being screwed over either by Yamaha or the dealers! The WR450F and WR250F both come from the show room ready to ride on the road! I personally am a Yamaha man too and ride a WR400F (Pain in the ass due to the no electric leg, or battery for that matter) and I'm looking to upgrade to an alloy framed 450F. Not sure of prices over there but for a new 450F here ready to ride out of the showroom onto the road you're lookin around the $14,000 mark. Mind you Australia is the most expensive country in the world for everything!! Happy trails guys!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?cklftr
Old 05-07-2012, 06:49 AM   #54
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_overlooker View Post
Sorry to butt in but to me it sounds as tho u guys in the states are being screwed over either by Yamaha or the dealers! The WR450F and WR250F both come from the show room ready to ride on the road! I personally am a Yamaha man too and ride a WR400F (Pain in the ass due to the no electric leg, or battery for that matter) and I'm looking to upgrade to an alloy framed 450F. Not sure of prices over there but for a new 450F here ready to ride out of the showroom onto the road you're lookin around the $14,000 mark. Mind you Australia is the most expensive country in the world for everything!! Happy trails guys!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?cklftr
You pay $14,000 for a WR450F and WE are gettin screwed by Yamaha? Sorry but for $14k I will get my own plate.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:05 AM   #55
n16ht5
ride the night

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/mcd/2995837902.html

under $7k for a new plated wr450f
Old 05-12-2012, 06:15 AM   #56
Ninja77
WiLD DoG

Yep, ausies are getting screwed, even in sunny Sarfefrica we only pay about US$9100 for it brand new.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:29 PM   #57
GlennR OP
Playin' in the Fire

I saw new 2011's left over for $5500 somewhere.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:59 PM   #58
Ninja77
WiLD DoG

I installed new chain and sprockets 14/45 today, runs well with much more relaxed revs than the previous 13/47 setup, it still goes quite well offroad, but I did stall it a few times in first.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:39 AM   #59
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,369
List price in Austria is - wait for it - $14,500... Currently 2012 models are "on sale" for a bargain of $11,400.

I'd say there is about 100 KTM 450s - which cost about the same - to every one WR450.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:25 AM   #60
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja77 View Post

Now you understand why riders out in the Western US like their DRZs. Mine goes 240 miles on 3.9 gals of gas! These Yamaha 450s have to carry 50lbs. of gas to do that in a gargantuan tank (when full probably weighs more than a Dizzer). These guys from the Eastern US that come West would have a rude awakening when they have to cover 120 miles of desert before they whif a gas station. Know that the Dizzer(much dis-respected here) has it's uses and excels in toughness and maintenance solutions compared to any 450 race bike that is converted. That 50 HP, while great fun, costs you dearly in fuel consumption. That is only one reason to buy a DRZ. Also realize that it is a street legal bike already. In many states that 450 VIN will keep you from buying a plate no matter what you try to do. It is not the same everywhere.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote