Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2012, 05:35 AM   #61
GlennR OP
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 2,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
List price in Austria is - wait for it - $14,500... Currently 2012 models are "on sale" for a bargain of $11,400.

I'd say there is about 100 KTM 450s - which cost about the same - to every one WR450.

Sounds like politics. $$$

Good thing the "home team" makes great bikes. And lucky for those of you who "just don't like Orange" that Husabergs are Blue.

I'm not really "brand loyal". I was just looking for the best bike that fit my budget & needs. I'd looked at Husabergs, but the used FE570's & FE450's were at least $5000, and hard to find at that. I was able to find my street legal 08' WR450 for $4000, and have seen a few for a little less since. I do wish for fuel-injection, but am happy to have a rear rack. (KTM & Berg's don't have the subframe for a rack)
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:17 PM   #62
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
Now you understand why riders out in the Western US like their DRZs. Mine goes 240 miles on 3.9 gals of gas! These Yamaha 450s have to carry 50lbs. of gas to do that in a gargantuan tank (when full probably weighs more than a Dizzer). These guys from the Eastern US that come West would have a rude awakening when they have to cover 120 miles of desert before they whif a gas station. Know that the Dizzer(much dis-respected here) has it's uses and excels in toughness and maintenance solutions compared to any 450 race bike that is converted. That 50 HP, while great fun, costs you dearly in fuel consumption. That is only one reason to buy a DRZ. Also realize that it is a street legal bike already. In many states that 450 VIN will keep you from buying a plate no matter what you try to do. It is not the same everywhere.

haters gone hate

I can go plenty far on my 3.6g
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:06 AM   #63
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by n16ht5 View Post
haters gone hate

I can go plenty far on my 3.6g
I note that you own a XR650L. So you do see my point .... You told on yourself. I do not hate Yamahas at all. In fact I would love to ride one again if they would make a street legal version of this bike patterned on a WR250R typology. The WR450F is not an adventure bike to me.They are doing this backwards. Give me a street legal version that I can KIT FOR RACING not a RACER that I have difficulty making street legal. They already had this philosophy back in the DT1 days... Where did it go? Another thread I guess.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:39 PM   #64
GlennR OP
Playin' in the Fire

Quote:
Now you understand why riders out in the Western US like their DRZs. Mine goes 240 miles on 3.9 gals of gas! These Yamaha 450s have to carry 50lbs. of gas to do that in a gargantuan tank (when full probably weighs more than a Dizzer). These guys from the Eastern US that come West would have a rude awakening when they have to cover 120 miles of desert before they whif a gas station. Know that the Dizzer(much dis-respected here) has it's uses and excels in toughness and maintenance solutions compared to any 450 race bike that is converted. That 50 HP, while great fun, costs you dearly in fuel consumption. That is only one reason to buy a DRZ. Also realize that it is a street legal bike already. In many states that 450 VIN will keep you from buying a plate no matter what you try to do. It is not the same everywhere.

My DRZ only got about 42-45 mpg. I'd heard mixed results from other DRZ guys.

I sold the DRZ because it was just too top heavy to enjoy in tight offroad riding. I liked the idea of more power & a lighter, better handling bike. I had an "S", so it was heavier than the "E" and it was stock. I couldn't see spending the money trying to gain more power on in. The WR already had the FCR carb, 50 more cc, high compression, 5 titanium valves, and 20+ lbs lighter. For $1000 I gained all that, plus it's 2 years newer and included a Promoto billet rack and an Acerbis 3.6 tank. It seemed like the best money spent for an upgrade, in my case.

There are a lot of WR's which have been plated available. And the prices seem as good as for DRZ's.

I would like to be able to get better fuel milage. If I can't it's okay here "in the East", but I would be looking for a different bike if I was riding out West. Probably a Husaberg FE450 or FE570. They are fuel injected and get good milage. But they fetch about $5000 used.

Bikes are like women, none are perfect.... You just have to decide which works best for yourself.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:19 AM   #65
Ninja77
WiLD DoG

Oddometer: 49
range

erm, I had a DR350SE before this, and it carried a XR600 5,2gl Acerbis, I could do 250miles or 400km easely on that, the small tank on the WR is a bit GRRR!!!! but I am getting used to it, still looking around at options though.
Ninja77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:59 AM   #66
mondo2000
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I used to have an 08 WR450F - awesome, awesome bike.

I did the following mods - de-restrict, alloy bash plate, radiator guards, speed bleeders on the forks and a less restrictive baffle in the exhaust. The suspension was superb for trail riding, very plush and easy to ride. The speed bleeders made a difference if I was riding a lot of whoops, otherwise I didn't really need to touch them. The power delivery was very smooth and predictable, from idle to redline.

As far as power goes, you would have to be a pretty awesome rider to be able to use more power than a de-restricted WR450 provides. I topped mine out at 155 km/h (just under 100mph) on a dirt road.

With regards to dual sport use you have to remember that this is basically a competition enduro bike, it's not designed for onroad use. In Australia where they are sold with plates they have a sticker that says "not for continuous on road use". As mentioned they are pretty maintenance intensive. They don't have a cush drive. They have a 5 speed gearbox because they aren't designed for high speed cruising. I had to ride 10km (6 miles) down the highway to get to a trail occasionally, I always hated that part.
mondo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #67
n16ht5
ride the night

Quote:
I note that you own a XR650L. So you do see my point .... You told on yourself. I do not hate Yamahas at all. In fact I would love to ride one again if they would make a street legal version of this bike patterned on a WR250R typology. The WR450F is not an adventure bike to me.They are doing this backwards. Give me a street legal version that I can KIT FOR RACING not a RACER that I have difficulty making street legal. They already had this philosophy back in the DT1 days... Where did it go? Another thread I guess.
Yeah I have to agree.. took a lot of mods to get mine right, would be nice if they made a Wr450R
Old 05-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #68
caryder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Mileage may vary

I have a plated 2004 WR450F, 15/47 setup, average riding (not racing) it gets around 45 MPG. Speed is 50 MPH at 5000 RPM. Top speed is ~95 MPH as measured by GPS and my Trail Tech Vapor. At race pace with 15/47 gearing it gets around 25 MPG. Top speed is ~80 with 13/47 gearing. I have not measured MPG with the 13/47 gearing setup but I would expect a 15% drop based on the drop in top speed.

I'm wondering about the comment about getting 38 miles before going on reserve. The stock 2004 tank is 2.7 gallons. I'm not sure what's left on reserve but I believe there's about .7 gallons.

Do the newer bikes have smaller stock tanks?
2003 Kawasaki KDX220R
1976 Yamaha RD400C
caryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:01 PM   #69
Jon B.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
Just two days ago, on a ride with my DRZ-400E, I switched to reserve at 51 (GPS) miles. That's a whopping 25.5 mpg. Granted, most was single track and ATV trails in 1st & second gear. And the road riding was using the throttle as an on/off switch.

Even still - if this is a typical ride, I'll have to plan carefully or walk a lot.

The 450 can't be a heck of a lot better, but probably isn't worse. I have a big pipe and over-rich (for warm weather) jetting. I intend to lean it a bit for summer. Range was one reason I didn't buy the WR450; it may be insignificant. I *can* find many aftermarket DRZ tanks, though. Not so many for the WR.

Jon B.

'05 DRZ 400E Titled/Plated
Jon B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:48 PM   #70
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B. View Post
Range was one reason I didn't buy the WR450; it may be insignificant. I *can* find many aftermarket DRZ tanks, though. Not so many for the WR.

Jon B.
Maybe you should have tried looking...
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:31 AM   #71
Jon B.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
Maybe you should have tried looking...
Oh? And exactly how many big tanks are available for the WR450? One? Two? Now compare that to the DRZ tanks.

If all you have to add are smart-arse comments, please step away from the keyboard.

Since you suggested it, I shall take a determined look into it and report back. Should I find more than three tanks, I'll cheerfully eat crow. 'Til then...

[edit: OK, I did, technically, find more than 3 but... There are several manufacturers of the 3.1-3.3G tanks but that's not significant, it's just one size, really. Someone makes a 2.8 gallon; is that much more than stock? What is the stock? 2.3? 2.6? It does offer a bit more, so that's option 2. Acerbis makes a big mofo - 6.6 gallons! Those are what my search engine found.]

Jon B.

'05 DRZ 400E Titled/Plated

Jon B. screwed with this post 05-22-2012 at 09:09 AM Reason: Added comments
Jon B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:10 AM   #72
n16ht5
ride the night

3.6G Clarke.. haven't had any sort of issue of running out of gas yet.

16/47 gears, 5500RPM at 65MPH. Not sure of MPG, I hit trails every ride so I don't bother to calculate
Top speed - 104MPH indicated

Old 05-23-2012, 03:01 AM   #73
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B. View Post
Oh? And exactly how many big tanks are available for the WR450? One? Two? Now compare that to the DRZ tanks.

If all you have to add are smart-arse comments, please step away from the keyboard.

Since you suggested it, I shall take a determined look into it and report back. Should I find more than three tanks, I'll cheerfully eat crow. 'Til then...

[edit: OK, I did, technically, find more than 3 but... There are several manufacturers of the 3.1-3.3G tanks but that's not significant, it's just one size, really. Someone makes a 2.8 gallon; is that much more than stock? What is the stock? 2.3? 2.6? It does offer a bit more, so that's option 2. Acerbis makes a big mofo - 6.6 gallons! Those are what my search engine found.]

Jon B.
5 mins of looking and I have found the following..

For the 03-06, Clark, 2.8 or 3.6g
Safari 6.6g or 4.1g
Acerbis 6.6g or 3.3g
IMS 3.1g
and Baja designs make a 1.1g side panel tank for it as well.

07 to 11 get...
IMS 3.1g
Safari 4.1g (as well as 1.1g or 2.2g rear tanks)
Clark 3.6g
Acerbis.2.3g 3.3g

DRZ has,
Safari 7.4g or 4.5g
IMS 2.6g, 3.2g, 4g.
Clark 3.6g
Acerbis 3.7g

As far as smart ass comments go, you are the one sticking your nose into a thread about the WR and talking about the DRZ and why you think it is better than the WR.

And since you have just proven that you have no clue what you are talking about (or you just didn't make an attempt to research things before dumping a heap of money on a bike), may I suggest you pull your head in...

Come back when you have something constructive to say, or at least get some experience n00b...
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:08 AM   #74
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,447
Thought this was a thread about WR450F as a dual sport...not whether to buy a WR or DRZ, or to upsell a DRZ

If you think your DRZ is the best thing since sliced bread, good for you...go pound sand in a different thread.

Always amazed by the people that think the best measure of a bike's worthiness is how many different aftermarket choices there are for it
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:27 AM   #75
GlennR OP
Playin' in the Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by n16ht5 View Post
3.6G Clarke.. haven't had any sort of issue of running out of gas yet.

16/47 gears, 5500RPM at 65MPH. Not sure of MPG, I hit trails every ride so I don't bother to calculate
Top speed - 104MPH indicated

That's a nice looking bike. I like the white graphics & tank. 104 mph! Wow! You've got some khonas! A good crosswind would sure get ya airborne (maybe "airdead"!) around here at that speed.