Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2012, 05:45 AM   #76
GlennR OP
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
Thought this was a thread about WR450F as a dual sport...not whether to buy a WR or DRZ, or to upsell a DRZ

If you think your DRZ is the best thing since sliced bread, good for you...go pound sand in a different thread.

Always amazed by the people that think the best measure of a bike's worthiness is how many different aftermarket choices there are for it

Ditto.

I think most of us WR450F riders know the strengths & weaknesses of each bike. IMO the WR has just about all of the power upgrades the DRZ guys dream & drool over, the FCR carb, big bore, and a kickstarter. Both bikes need a 6th gear. The only major "mod" that the WR needs is a dual sport kit & a tag, which is "no big deal" in a lot of states and IS transferable to the difficult states.

My stock WR has the power to lift the front wheel in 4 gears. My stock DRZ had trouble doing it in 2nd....

The WR is nimble in the tight, technical trails that are a handful on the Suzuki. That is the #1 reason I sold mine. The huge power boost was "just a bonus".
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:20 AM   #77
Jon B.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Well, I guess I know when I'm not wanted. I didn't come here to pick a fight. I *like* the WR450, and wanted to buy one but it didn't fit my "mission". The 450 is a great bike - in its proper place.

It has got to be a damn fun machine to ride - more than I want. What it isn't, though, is a good dual-sport bike. Making it into one would remove much of what makes it fun. I wouldn't buy a Mustang GT to haul the grandkids around, or pull a camper. I wouldn't buy a tractor to ride to work.

The wr450 is a race bike! If Yamaha built a WR450R as a dual sport, few of you would buy it - too tame; suspension's too mushy; fuel injection? WTF?; *those* tires?; the exhaust sucks; it's got no power!; who geared this thing?

Making a (relatively) high-maintenance, high-strung off-road race bike into an ADV dual-sport seems impractical - to me. You guys have other opinions, and that's fine. The 'E' model DRZ isn't a dual-sport, either.

And Glenn - you seem to be calling the kettle black, here, with regard to stirring the others' pot...

Also - the gas tanks listed are few in number, for a given year. 3.1, 3.2, and 3.3 gallon tanks are essentially one size. the same size tank from IMS, Clarke and others is, essentially, one choice. And, yes, a long list of after-market 'farkles' does matter when it comes to choosing a bike.

You ride yours; I'll ride mine. We'll both/all be happy. And I'll not come pee in your pool again. Buh-bye.

Jon B.

'05 DRZ 400E Titled/Plated

Jon B. screwed with this post 05-23-2012 at 07:05 AM Reason: Snotty comments removed.
Jon B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:52 AM   #78
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,273
... and good riddance.
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:10 AM   #79
nanisx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
I love my 08, Im hoping it'll pass MD state inspection... even though it only has turn signals, headlight and stop light.

has anyone swaped their fork springs? what did you use? racetech?
nanisx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:26 AM   #80
Honda_jedi
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Love that WR!

And back to why we love our WRs!...

Just bought my first Yamaha after a lifetime of Hondas, actually she's hanging out with 5 Hondas in the garage right now and feeling lonely...

2006 WR450 with 500 miles (and for the same average price as a 5000mile DR650 or DRZ)!
She's showroom beautiful and I love it already! Came with a BajaDesigns DS kit already installed and a WV title that said "not to be licensed" (yikes). I took the title to the local DMV yesterday and played dumb. I got my tags!!! wow, now that's a weight off my shoulders, especially since NC is a BEAR for titling bikes. Here there is no legal way to tag a dirtbike. Really glad it worked out.

So far:
Balanced the wheels with stick on weights (huge difference)
First valve adj - now at 580 miles, all good
Bought a YZF clutch basket and primary gear off Ebay - $80 to be installed next oil change

I've got some chain slap and surging. We'll see if the TPS adjustment procedure and the YFZ basket smooths things out. Until then i'm busy inspecting all my local construction sites!

Final $.02 - the biggest thing for me about the WR is the chassis and suspension. You just can get anywhere in the same stratosphere with other DS bikes (except KTM) for the high quality athletic chassis. As has been said many times, you can pay average $1500-2k more for a comperable KTM. I'll probably own one someday, but for now this WR is damn perfect.This was my biggest requirement for my DS bike purchase (lightweight bike with great suspension), and why I didn't buy a Suzuki even though they're better on open road.
Honda_jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:06 AM   #81
Gundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 873
Can anyone provide the correct part numbers for the "cush clutch" parts from the YZF450?

Looking hard at an '06 WR450F and trying to get an idea of the dual sport conversion cost.

'12 Tenere, '04 Tiger, '09 WRR, '06 DRZ, '06 TW, '01 250 EXC, '09 KLR
Gundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:25 AM   #82
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,275
I have my 05 model all ready to plate, just have to deal with the DMV now. It's completely street legal, even has turn signals. Now I just have to get the time to get it inspected and file the paperwork. I'm not really going to street ride it much, it's just so handy to be able to go get gas or food down the road when out riding.
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #83
GlennR OP
Playin' in the Fire

Honda jedi,

It's great to hear of another WR450 on the streets of NC. Let me know if you ever get up to Boone.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:34 AM   #84
Honda_jedi
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Sprung clutch basket

Gundy - below are the part numbers I got, though as I said, haven't been installed quite yet... These motors are all quite similar though so I don't anticipate issues. Even if so, i'll just re-sell the basket on Ebay.

More than once source said the gear pitch on the primary to clutch basket is different from the WR to YFZ, so I made sure to find an auction where the seller was parting the whole quad, so i got a matching gear set.

5D3-16150-00-00 = basket
5TG-16111-00-00 = primary gear

http://www.motosport.com/atv/oem-par.../YFZ450/CLUTCH

GlennR
i'm good with that! my local friend rides a DR350 and is always talking about adventuring abroad. furthest we've talked of yet is Uwharrie. i'll be in touch when we think of something.
Honda_jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:10 PM   #85
n16ht5
ride the night

Hey how much weight can you haul on that rack?
Old 05-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #86
GlennR OP
Playin' in the Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by n16ht5 View Post
Hey how much weight can you haul on that rack?

I don't really know how much you can haul. The rack seems plenty sturdy. I use it to lift and/or pull and drag the rear end around, but I haven't really loaded it down yet. I think the limiting components are either the rear suspension or the subframe.

Wish I could give a better answer...
Old 05-28-2012, 10:21 PM   #87
n16ht5
ride the night

yeah, I am wondering if I should get the Cycleracks one or the Promoto.. I cracked the subframe on my XRL riding 2-up with gear.. had to gusset it... can't gusset the aluminum one very easily.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:48 AM   #88
GlennR OP
Playin' in the Fire

The Cycleracks design looks like it takes the load off of the subframe a lot. I can't tell from the photos where it places the load or how it attaches, but you'd assume that they made it sturdy.

Have you seen the Moto-mule type single wheel trailers? They look like a cool way to carry a hefty load. I don't know how well it goes on tight rough trails, but I don't know how rough you can expect to go 2-up plus a heavy load anyway. The Moto-mule looks like it would be a great way to get your gear to camp, and then unhitch it for the gnarley riding. I'd think it could haul 3-4 times as much as you could hope to carry on a rack. I think it would be even better if they could have figured out how to reduce the tongue weight, it looks like it's 50% as is.

http://www.moto-mule.com/index.html

By the way, I'd like to see what you have for rear footpegs. I still need to address that.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:41 AM   #89
fleshpiston
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
Torque specs?

Can anyone provide the torque specs for the front end? Looking for axle nut, axle pinch bolts and triple clamp bolts.

This is for an 04.

Thank you!

KLR650
fleshpiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:47 AM   #90
GlennR OP
Playin' in the Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleshpiston View Post
Can anyone provide the torque specs for the front end? Looking for axle nut, axle pinch bolts and triple clamp bolts.

This is for an 04.

Thank you!

Here's an offical Yamaha website with owners service manuals. Just put in the model & year.

http://www.yamahaownershandbook.com.au/?r=0