User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2012, 08:28 PM   #1
Jick Magger OP
Exile on Main Street

Oddometer: 758
Rolling with Jick through Mexico

Why fly to Mexico when you have the chance to ride? My wife Cobi and I had decided to spend 10 days in Sayulita, Mexico about an hour or so north of Puerto Vallarta. My youngest kid Darby had spring break coming up and we had visited Sayulita on a day trip from Bucerias this past Xmas. For those unfamiliar with the area Sayulita is a small village 25 miles north of Puerto Vallarta. I gather it hit the radar of surfers in the 60”s. It has the vibe of a bohemian, surfer type of town. It is a great spot for the novice surfer to learn. I had shipped my GS to Phoenix from British Columbia in November with the hopes of flying down from Canada to ride when the opportunity presented itself. As they say “the best laid plans”. I got down once over the winter. Back to the spring break trip. This could work. My wife and daughter fly to Mexico. A few days before they leave I fly to Phoenix, pick up my bike and ride through the states of Sonoma, Chihuahua, Durango, Sinaloa and Nayarit arriving either the same day or a day or so later than them.

I have read and still follow a few ride reports on Adv so using knowledge procured from some of these I selected my route (kinda) and a general time line. I say general because it was obvious these miles would not be measured as they are in North America. Often the experienced Mexico regulars warn that a hundred miles in Mexico is not the same as a hundred miles at home. Last year I had purchased a CD
http://www.MotorcycleMexico.com/ (no affiliation) A half dozen or so men and women who have logged plenty of Mexican miles sharing their thoughts and passing along tips on what to expect at the border, local customs, camping, hotels, language issues, safety, police corruption, repairs, tools, packing etc. After listening to these folks speak I wanted to jump on my bike and get going. I am good at jumping on the bike but I ignored some of the planning as you will find out. One of the gentlemen interviewed was Bjorn Bakker a fellow Canadian. This man is the bomb when it comes to riding in Mexico. Don’t be surprised if someone knocks on your door trying to sell you a set of encyclopedias about Mexico and this guy is on the cover.

RIde Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...t=Rolling+jick

Jick Magger screwed with this post 03-15-2012 at 08:00 PM
Jick Magger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #2
Jick Magger OP
Exile on Main Street

Like most first time riders in Mexico it is natural to have doubts about riding in Mexico given the media reports but do your homework. Horizons unlimited and Adv Rider were helpful in putting the risks in perspective. I suppose I have always been adventurous at heart, enjoyed other cultures and maybe in some small way the fact my family immigrated to Canada from Scotland when I was 12 had an effect on a me. When your life is turned upside down and you migrate to a different life, people, and culture, it is bound to have an effect. For me I suppose it was the understanding that the unknown isn’t to be feared but embraced. I am not the type who sits and plots every inch of the journey. My attitude is “I’ll figure it out. Let’s go”. Others are more comfortable knowing in advance every detail of their travel and to each their own. The right way is the way you will get the most enjoyment. For me a 1000 tunes in the ipod, a plane ticket to Phoenix and the anticipation of the ride gets the drums sounding if you know what I mean. So…….

Jick Magger screwed with this post 01-21-2014 at 09:44 PM
Old 03-14-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
Jick Magger OP
Exile on Main Street

I was able to catch a direct flight to Phoenix to meet up with inmate Seabee1(Don) who was harbouring my bike at his shop in Tempe. Victory Bmw had the bike serviced and ready to roll. I was scheduled to meet up with Don for dinner at a seafood joint he had recommended. The plane was 45 minutes late, customs was a nightmare and took another hour or so and Don who had decided to come and pick me up at the airport was patiently waiting for me outside the terminal. What a guy. During dinner I hadtime to get a little of Don’s military background and the conversation turned to Arizona and guns. Being a Canadian I don’t really come in contact with guns but Don assures me it is very common to have a gun on your possession in Arizona. He then pulls out this little fold up type of handgun and lays it on the table. It could have been an AK47 judging by my reaction. It was immediately established who was buying dinner that night.

After a great BC salmon dinner and a couple of beers it was off to the shop to pickup my bike

and from there Don lead me to the hotel I had booked. Don is a guy who had answered my inquiry last November for storage help in Phoenix. Can’t say enough about his assistance. He has an open invitation in Canada. (you’ll need to leave your gun at home) We have a gun registry in Canada which is about as effective in stopping crime as a bridal registry.

Jick Magger screwed with this post 03-15-2012 at 10:12 PM
Old 03-14-2012, 09:05 PM   #4
Jick Magger OP
Exile on Main Street

Day 1 Tuesday

Up in the morning and out the door heading for Douglas, Arizona which borders Aqua Prieta on the Mexico side. Rather than hit the I-10 the whole way I decided to go down 87 to 79 through Coolidge and Florence. Went relatively smoothly. I had to ask for directions once since I wasn’t using my GPS on this trip and of course hadn’t bought a map yet. I usually have friends who bring along the important things like directions, maps etc. If I had a past life it would not have been an explorer. I would have assuredly been lost at sea. Booked myself into the Historic Gadsden Hotel which in my opinion has had its past due date but at $60 a night fits the “adventure” portion of the ride. Saw a little later there is a Best Western in town for a hundred. This played a role the next morning as I needed my insurance papers printed from an email. I had decided while in the hotel room to purchase my Mexican insurance on line as opposed to buying at the border. Little did I know that the Gadsden doesn’t have a computer. They had heard tell of computers but hadn’t actually made the plunge. I eventually rode over to the Best Western and they allowed me to send my email and print my insurance papers at their hotel. By the way, I used Mexpro.com to purchase the insurance because it was recommended by an inmate and communication from the company was excellent.

Where’s Miss kitty

An old cougar in the lobby

What you get for your sixty bucks

Jick Magger screwed with this post 03-15-2012 at 10:14 PM
Old 03-14-2012, 09:52 PM   #5
Mike Ryder
Kriegerkuh

Oddometer: 860
Subscriberated.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:41 AM   #6
Jick Magger OP
Exile on Main Street

Two minutes after printing my insurance document I was at the border. I was told where to park and processed within 40 minutes or so as there was no line up. By now it is about mid morning. I had made photo copies of my drivers license, passport, and registration. If you don’t have these they will charge a few bucks to do it but if possible doing it ahead saves the hassle. Also I could have bought the insurance right there in the same building where I paid for my TVIP and tourist card. All in all pretty easy(one stop shopping at this particular border). Keep a smile on your face, be polite and no problemo.
Interesting to note that being new to the process of riding into Mexico I was feeling a little dialed up (anxious maybe). I knew it would be fine but was relieved that it went smooth and I could get on with the ride.
Aqua Prieta was non-descript from what I saw but I crawled on through some road construction and proceeded to a gas station to procure a Mexico road map. I read they were available and since I believe everything I read…well…no luck. They don’t have any so I had a nice chat with this fellow

He rides a 250cc motorcycle and was very interested in both the GS and helping with directions. It was also my first opportunity to use my 4 or 5 words of Spanish, some gibberish pig type Latin and I even threw in some French words for good measure. I get confused with foreign languages (think the Don Knott’s of foreign languages). Anyway, he was very accommodating and I decided to take highway 17 south to Sahuaripa, Sonoma rather than the more scenic Rio Sonora road which I hope to take on the return ride. Before you know it I was settled into the groove. Earphones at too high a volume, blasting tunes from the Ipod. Oh Yea, eso es lo que estoy hablando.

Jick Magger screwed with this post 03-15-2012 at 10:16 PM
Old 03-15-2012, 07:45 AM   #7
Jick Magger OP
Exile on Main Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ryder View Post
Subscriberated.
Thanks for following along Mike.....a man of wealth and taste...

Old 03-15-2012, 07:52 AM   #8
ckjj888
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
精彩请继续呵呵~~~
ckjj888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:56 AM   #9
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 735
Your finally doing it! Enjoy your time in Mexico and maybe we can meet up in the okanagan as I spend my summers east of Enderby.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:09 PM   #10
Mike Ryder
Kriegerkuh

Oddometer: 860
Remember; you can't always shit where you want, but if you try sometime, you just might find,
handy wipes are watt you need.
Got lomotil?

happy trials Jick
Old 03-15-2012, 01:09 PM   #11
Jick Magger OP
Exile on Main Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Your finally doing it! Enjoy your time in Mexico and maybe we can meet up in the okanagan as I spend my summers east of Enderby.
Yea, finally got it sorted. Thanks Cal. Look forward to meeting up in the Okanagan. Absolutely. Salud

Old 03-15-2012, 08:40 PM   #12
Jick Magger OP
Exile on Main Street

Not too much later I was at an inspection. Checking paperwork, a search of the bike and a not too disagreeable interrogation by this gun wielding gal.

The scenery and roads in Sonora were a joy and I soon found myself lost in tunes, curves and sunshine.

A little Chuck Berry in the helmet works for these roads...........

They’ll throw me in jail for having too much fun… continue down 17 past Nacozari de Garcia on towards Moctezuma. Much of this area in the Sierra Madres is curvy and mountainous. Very nice riding indeed!

Jick Magger screwed with this post 03-15-2012 at 08:50 PM
Old 03-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #13
Jick Magger OP
Exile on Main Street

Keep your eyes on the road....This Sonora is beautiful country

ug">

Jick Magger screwed with this post 03-15-2012 at 08:51 PM
Old 03-16-2012, 04:15 AM   #14
WakeDude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
This is going great! Subscribed! Also, I will be asking some questions as I will be heading down there in May.

-Alex

WakeDude screwed with this post 03-16-2012 at 04:16 AM Reason: Had to sign the darn post. :)
WakeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:11 AM   #15
Jick Magger OP
Exile on Main Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeDude View Post
This is going great! Subscribed! Also, I will be asking some questions as I will be heading down there in May.

-Alex
Thanks for following along Alex. Happy to answer any questions I can.