User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2012, 01:02 AM   #1
Winterbiker OP
Sidecarist

Oddometer: 263
Sidecar Traveller

As proposed, the second issue of your sidecar mag "SIDECAR TRAVELLER" is bilangual English/German at about 30/70 percent. This issue covers an incredible ride to Mongolia and back in only 5 weeks with a Ural Ranger. Second great story describes the construction of a Triumph Adventure outfit. If you are interested you can pre-order your copy (or a subscription) in our online-shop www.gespannfahrer-shop.de. Delivery time is end of March.

Thanks and any input is welcome

Winterbiker

Blog: http://sidecar-team.over-blog.de/
Orient-Project: http://transitusarabiae.wordpress.com/
Winterbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:57 AM   #2
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
The first issue was great even if it was in German. Well worth the price.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
jay@dmcsidecars.com
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
Winterbiker OP
Sidecarist

Hi Jay,

thanks. Hope to get a story from you in the near future.

Winterbiker

Old 03-15-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
Nsfrt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Hello Martin,

in your web shop is mentioned: "Produkt ist sofort verfügbar" - but that is only a negligible complain.
I have already ordered the second issue.

By the way, thak you again for pictures of the front brake system, which you have sent me. I will send you a picture of our construction inspired by your design as soon as it will be ready.
Nsfrt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #5
rathackman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Thanks martin and Heidi...I have ordered my copy as you know...and wait impatiently..LOL

Thanks for what you do for the sidecar community....
Brian

rathackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:17 PM   #6
NitroMax
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
I've got a subscription so I'm waiting at the mailbox already
1200 cc Z1000 dragbike (1976)
300 cc MZ transporthack (1989) winterhack
900 cc BMW R 90/6 hack ( 1976) summerhack
750 cc BMW K 75 RT ( 1993 ) daily driver

Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter ( Mark Twain )
NitroMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:36 PM   #7
That Reverend Again
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydmc View Post
The first issue was great even if it was in German. Well worth the price.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
jay@dmcsidecars.com
I'll second that! Couldn't read a word but the photo's made up for it.

Just pre-ordered mine

Old 03-15-2012, 09:45 PM   #8
Crush
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 989
Is the magazine available in English?
Old 03-16-2012, 01:27 AM   #9
Winterbiker OP
Sidecarist

Hello Crush.

the magazine is bilangual in English and German language at about 30/70 percent. Please have a look at the pic. This is the cover story. Left column is in German language, right column is in English. Captions are also bilangual.
Next issue (nr. 2) covers to big stories done like this, also some small informations bilangual.

Thank you very much for your interest!

Winterbiker

Old 03-16-2012, 05:46 AM   #10
That Reverend Again
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbiker View Post
Hello Crush.

the magazine is bilangual in English and German language at about 30/70 percent.

Winterbiker
Oooooh! Don't show me, don't show me!! I want a surprise..

A very brave move in these hardened times, so I wish the venture very good luck & many sales from people on here!

It also makes me feel stupid that I can't converse in German & regret not paying more attention at school.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:21 AM   #11
BeeMaa
Hack Pilot

Oddometer: 1,092
Hello Rossetta Stone...
Nothing like $500 to be able to read 70% of a $10 mag.
Right, that's me ordering RS-German on Amazon now.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein
BeeMaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:27 AM   #12
tattoogunman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
I guess it depends on who your target market is. I can read German since I'm half German, but it's not practical for me to do so for recreational purposes. Neither is a magazine that covers trips oversees and not domestically. I'm not flaming the magazine, it looks interesting and well done. But seeing as how I will never have the money (that some of the people on here seem to have) to do an international trip(s), this is a magazine that I wouldn't pick up. I don't get off reading about other people's exploits that I can't be part of (yes I'm jealous - kill me). And no, I don't delve into the ride reports section too much for the same reasons. Just me mind you
tattoogunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:27 PM   #13
rathackman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Neither is a magazine that covers trips oversees and not domestically. I'm not flaming the magazine, it looks interesting and well done. But seeing as how I will never have the money (that some of the people on here seem to have) to do an international trip(s), this is a magazine that I wouldn't pick up. I don't get off reading about other people's exploits that I can't be part of (yes I'm jealous - kill me). And no, I don't delve into the ride reports section too much for the same reasons.
Interesting viewpoint. Mine is exactly the opposite....I love the opportunity to read about and see rigs that are nearly all different than we have here in the US....

Whether or not I have the chance in my life to do the long distance foreign rides, my imagination rides with these folks.

It has less to do with money than it does desire....by not reading about others trips, you won't believe that. There is no person that personifies that so well as Emilio Scotto the Brazilian guy who rode his wing on a record breaking world trip....starting with $300...

http://www.emilioscotto.com/bio.html

On the other hand I understand if that doesn't wind someone's watch.

I see very few US citizens abroad when I travel....it is almost always Brits, Europeans, Aussies or South Americans....we just don't do it much for whatever the reason...I have my ideas about it, but don't really know why.

Maybe Tatoogunman's attitude is more common than not. Somehow we lost the only sidecar magazine we had in this country, the Hack'd mag, as far as I know because of lack of support as much as anything else. So much for desire for reading about domestic riding and rigs....

Even the world traveling (first a custom built Harley/Velorex then a custom built Ural) tattoo artist Pluto was a Canadian-Irish dude..

http://www.tattoodublin.com/hometour.htm

Anyway....please keep it coming and yes there are fans here, even old pharts like this one....I definitely will live my dreams as long as I can get around....
Brian

Old 03-18-2012, 02:21 PM   #14
tattoogunman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
I lived oversees for a number of years (when I was younger) and saw plenty of American citizens, but they were always military. As for why more Americans do not travel abroad, I can offer my opinions:

1) We're not exactly the most popular people on the planet. That's not to say that you are going to be mistreated by every single citizen of a foreign country, so don't get me wrong. It's the general attitude that seems to be prevalent. I can remember back in the 80's when I was in Germany, many of my friends would say they were Canadian or British before they would ever admit to being American. Right, wrong, or indifferent, it's just the way it was. I never had a problem admitting it, but I was also fluent in the language and nobody ever guessed I wasn't German.

2) The cost - it's bloody freaking expensive. From the people that I talked to abroad who traveled, it just seemed to be cheaper for them to get around from one foreign country to another. I can remember living in Germany - it was nothing to take a weekend trip to Italy, Austria, etc. - you hopped in the car and went. If you live in the U.S., it's not that easy and it's not that affordable. There are always package deals, it just depends on the money at your disposal.

3) Time - more foreign countries seem to view vacations as a given right and not really a luxury as they are viewed here. Again, I can remember living in Germany and all of my German friends taking their yearly vacations. I knew people who lived in the U.K. and it was the same way - they lived for their yearly holiday. Here in the U.S., you're lucky if you have any vacation time to use (depending on your job if you're lucky enough to be employed) and then hope that your boss will give you the time off. Then you have to have the money to finance it, etc. My parents have been taking the kids on vacations for the last few years because we can't afford to do anything.

4) State of world affairs - see #1. Maybe people from other foreign countries aren't as afraid to travel as people here in the U.S. may be. I see video of places like China, Israel, Iran, Afghanistan, and they are absolutely beautiful countries, but you probably couldn't pay me to go there at the moment (well, China I would be OK with).

As for what I said earlier, maybe I'm the minority, maybe I'm not. My personal situation positively sucks at the moment. I'm lucky to have a job, but I'm barely putting food on the table. My wife can't find a job to save her life and I'm not making enough money. We just relocated back to Texas in an attempt at a life reboot and it's not going very well. I don't even have a bike at the moment, let alone being in a position where I can even imagine taking one of these trips that people on here always post about. I joke about living vicariously through the rest of you, but it sucks at the same time to see people doing things that I can't even dream about at the moment. I'd like to think that maybe one day things will get better - there's always the lottery!! Pity party, table for one please
tattoogunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:15 PM   #15
rathackman
Gnarly Adventurer

Tattoogunman, I hear you and you make some excellent points. I won't go into my views on it since I don't want to hijack the thread but they are close to yours....

Sorry to hear about your present circumstances and you definitely are not alone. I wish you the very best.

I can see that in your present situation you probably aren't buying many mags at all....let alone ones about foreign travel.

Again, best of luck....
Brian