ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.33 average. Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
Boatman OP
Take me down bitch!

Oddometer: 10,187
Decision time....

I've had a Garmin 60Cx for 6 years and it's been through the mill. Pretty much been flawless in operation. Use it for hiking, on the bike, in the car, geocaching. A couple years ago it popped out of the mount on the bike and got caught between the tank and triple clamp resulting in the plastic over the screen being broken. A few weeks ago the "OUT" button broke off. I've never updated the maps.

Sooooo,,, my question. Should I just send it in and pay the flat $110 charge or upgrade to a 62??? Is the technology in the 62 much better that it would be worth the upgrade??

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:34 PM   #2
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,289
There are + & - on 62/78 vs 60/76.

Read lots of threads but for me 62 is non-starter because of no 14V power input. If you are really into lots of Tracks only real improvement is 200 Saved Tracks of 2,000 points each.

Before I spent $110 on used 60 I would buy new 76Cx from West Marine for $150. They never pop out of RAM cradle.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:25 PM   #3
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman View Post
I've had a Garmin 60Cx for 6 years and it's been through the mill. Pretty much been flawless in operation. Use it for hiking, on the bike, in the car, geocaching. A couple years ago it popped out of the mount on the bike and got caught between the tank and triple clamp resulting in the plastic over the screen being broken. A few weeks ago the "OUT" button broke off. I've never updated the maps.

Sooooo,,, my question. Should I just send it in and pay the flat $110 charge or upgrade to a 62??? Is the technology in the 62 much better that it would be worth the upgrade??
If you have any plans to get a 62, save a little longer and get a Montana 600 and Garmin's Rugged Mount instead. Far better than the 60/76 or 62/78 models.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
Boatman OP
Take me down bitch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
There are + & - on 62/78 vs 60/76.

Read lots of threads but for me 62 is non-starter because of no 14V power input. If you are really into lots of Tracks only real improvement is 200 Saved Tracks of 2,000 points each.

Before I spent $110 on used 60 I would buy new 76Cx from West Marine for $150. They never pop out of RAM cradle.
Looks like they are all going that route with the USB power. You can get generic cables that can be wired directly so you would have the USB power. The thing I like with the 60 is that the power cord connection is very robust at the unit. The Mini USB may not be as bullet proof.

If I do end up buying a new unit, I'd rather move forward than lateral. Had a 76 back in the day and found it kind of clunky.

I don't use a RAM cradle,,,, I use the bicycle mount believe it or not. Pretty sure the only reason it came loose was because I didn't have it fully clipped in. It's stayed in place on my 525 through many miles of power lines and rough stuff. Even racing RallyMoto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
If you have any plans to get a 62, save a little longer and get a Montana 600 and Garmin's Rugged Mount instead. Far better than the 60/76 or 62/78 models.
Are you using a Montana?? The only reason I mentioned the 62 was because I've had such good luck with the 60 and I like the feel of when carrying.

The one down side I see to the Montana is the touch screen. I can work the 60 with gloves on.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:07 AM   #5
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Are you using a Montana?? The only reason I mentioned the 62 was because I've had such good luck with the 60 and I like the feel of when carrying.

The one down side I see to the Montana is the touch screen. I can work the 60 with gloves on.
Sure am using a Montana - it's the best there is right now. The touch screen works beautifully with gloves - even winter gloves. Better than trying to hit little buttons on the device - the on-screen buttons are huge.

The Roaming Rally tracks will be really easy to follow on this baby.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:27 AM   #6
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Looks like they are all going that route with the USB power.

Had a 76 back in the day and found it kind of clunky.
That (12 V power) is why it is why 78 is only choice between 78 & 62.

I see 76 @ $150, 78 @ $300, & Montana @ $500. Kinda like doubling down!

You are the first real 76 owner/user that has reported they didn't like it. What is "clunky"?
Old 03-16-2012, 11:36 AM   #7
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
There's a huge difference between the 76 and new units like the 62/78 and Montana so it makes no sense to see it in dollars only.

The Montana 600 can be found fairly easily at $400 + $35 for the rugged mount which gets away with power cable entirely since it's wired into the bike and transmits power to the gps through proper surface connectors.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #8
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
I
It's just one, having the buttons above the screen verses below, is another.

I've been quite happy running my 62s off PowerEx batteries. But I would recommend, applying dielectric grease to the usb connector to prevent oxidization and corrosion of the contacts.

http://gpsinformation.info/penrod/62S/62-78.html

daryl

dlh62c screwed with this post 03-16-2012 at 12:26 PM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #9
rgb2cmyk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Montana 600

I've had the Montana 600 for a couple months now and it's great. The screen is big, easy to read even in sunlight, responsive, and the buttons are easy to press even with my Gerbing headed gloves on. The powered mount for it is solid, and for added security there is a screw you can tighten to keep it in place

It's more than the others (I think I paid a hair under $400 for mine), but I've found it to be quite a bit of an upgrade.
09 R1200 GSA (Totaled by SS Sandy)
06 Husky TE450, 04 R1100s BCR, 03 F650CS
rgb2cmyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:12 PM   #10
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
There's a huge difference between the 76 and new units like the 62/78 and Montana so it makes no sense to see it in dollars only..
Agree, purchasing by "price only" is very foolish. In most cases you get much less value/$ for either the expensive or the cheap model of any product but who is acvocating "seeing it in dollars only"? Kind of a bell curve of value/price.

The ONLY big improvement I see in the new generation units is the increase ot 200 Saved Tracks, a small improvement is increase to 2,000 point tracks which eliminates filtering of active log. Since they also have some firmware negatives that may be fixed, I am still on the sidelines as they will only get cheaper. Witrh five 76Cs & two Nuvis, I don't need another toy for now.

In the Dual Sport world of California the 60/76 is still the 99% prefered unit. The only people who show up with new generation units are people who never had a 60/76 and just thought "new must be better" and they don't even know how to use them and usually get screwed up on the ride because no one else can help them.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #11
Boatman OP
Take me down bitch!

Quote:

You are the first real 76 owner/user that has reported they didn't like it. What is "clunky"?
When using it handheld, I found that I had to hold it in one hand while operating it with the other. With the 60, I can hold it in one hand and operate the buttons and still see the screen with the same thumb. I found the 60 to just feel more natural in my hand.

As for price,,, unless buying at the Garmin shop or some boutique the prices are easier to swallow.

I did have the Montana on the radar but was concerned about using it with gloves. After hearing that it works fine even with winter gloves I have it back in the mix. I aslo like the updated Geocaching features on the newer models so that is one of my reasons for going with a newer model.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:00 PM   #12
Boatman OP
Take me down bitch!

Quote:
There's a huge difference between the 76 and new units like the 62/78 and Montana so it makes no sense to see it in dollars only.

The Montana 600 can be found fairly easily at $400 + $35 for the rugged mount which gets away with power cable entirely since it's wired into the bike and transmits power to the gps through proper surface connectors.

This feature I like!!

Does the Montana have a lanyard/wrist strap or provisions for one? I see the re is no mention of it on the Garmin site.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:06 PM   #13
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,211
Quote:
This feature I like!!

Does the Montana have a lanyard/wrist strap or provisions for one? I see the re is no mention of it on the Garmin site.
Yes.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #14
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
In the Dual Sport world of California the 60/76 is still the 99% prefered unit. The only people who show up with new generation units are people who never had a 60/76 and just thought "new must be better" and they don't even know how to use them and usually get screwed up on the ride because no one else can help them.
New is better in this case, unless you're the kind of dual-sport rider who depends on others to show him the way.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #15
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
I aslo like the updated Geocaching features on the newer models so that is one of my reasons for going with a newer model.
You'll probably like the "Profiles" on the new generation gps units as well. This allows you to setup the gps exactly as you like for many different situations and switch from one to the other with a push of a button.