Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2012, 09:02 AM   #1
Jonny042 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Theft Insurance for Trials Bikes?

Hello all,

Just going through the process of insuring a new enclosed trailer, good news is it's cheap to insure, bad news there is no content coverage that would extend to a motor vehicle of any type.

Has anyone had any luck finding insurance for a competition, closed course, bike, like a trials bike, in Canada (Ontario?). Theft only.

Thanks,

Jon
Jonny042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,203
I just picked up a new bike. did a little financing to step up to a new bike (will have that paid off in a couple of months). as part of the financing deal I have to have the bike insured. Went to my regular insurance company and got the required insurance (to protect the bank). Cost me $14 a month and got me $18 a month off for a multi vehicle discount. State Farm is insuring the bike for -$4. Yea, I am going to keep it insured after it is paid off. May even try for street legal status, AZ is pretty lax in what you can get away with.

Not sure how that crazy Canadian insurance stuff works. Ask your agent about it. What do they have to say? Treat it like there is a note on the bike and see what they have to say.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
ThrottleJock
Shaved Ape

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncobowsher View Post
I just picked up a new bike. did a little financing to step up to a new bike (will have that paid off in a couple of months). as part of the financing deal I have to have the bike insured. Went to my regular insurance company and got the required insurance (to protect the bank). Cost me $14 a month and got me $18 a month off for a multi vehicle discount. State Farm is insuring the bike for -$4. Yea, I am going to keep it insured after it is paid off. May even try for street legal status, AZ is pretty lax in what you can get away with.

Not sure how that crazy Canadian insurance stuff works. Ask your agent about it. What do they have to say? Treat it like there is a note on the bike and see what they have to say.
Geico or Progressive (can't remember which one) does insurance on off road vehicles and comprehensive/theft is an option. I think it's Geico, actually, now that I think of it. I've got my street bikes thru them and I quoted adding the Gas Gas to the policy but haven't gotten around to it. I recall the rates being pretty reasonable.

Also, years ago I had a CR500R which I managed to process through the NC DMV to get a title issued for. I had it insured thru State Farm. It wasn't listed in their system so I worked with my agent to insure it at an agreed value as a "Honda 498" so as not to flip any red flags when somebody further up the chain realized i was trying it insure a CR500R. $86/yr full coverage w/ a $1000 deductible.

Having said all that, insurance companies can be real dicks when it comes to actually paying a claim. Best bet is to get with an agent and follow all the rules so there are no little loopholes in place with the policy that they can potentially use to wriggle their way out of.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:04 AM   #4
gybeman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny042 View Post
Hello all,

Just going through the process of insuring a new enclosed trailer, good news is it's cheap to insure, bad news there is no content coverage that would extend to a motor vehicle of any type.
Has anyone had any luck finding insurance for a competition, closed course, bike, like a trials bike, in Canada (Ontario?). Theft only.
Thanks,Jon
Unless things have changed, in Ontario a trailer is still insured under your vehicle insurance when its being towed, and I believe its contents, except for the bike, are covered under your house insurance while its on your property. (contents may be as well, like it is for a shed or garage)
I wish we had Geico and Progressive in Canada. Bike rates for the same bike in the US for me are $129/yr vs $600+ where you can ride most of the yr instead of just 6 months.
Offroad Insurance (liability) for the bike from State Farm is usually about $129/yr, don't know if theft is included. But at our rates I could have bought another bike in the last 7yrs I've been riding trials.

gybeman screwed with this post 05-09-2012 at 04:10 AM
gybeman is offline   Reply With Quote