Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2012, 08:53 AM   #61
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by mung View Post
Spring rate has nothing to do with "feel". It has everything to do with math. My Raga came with .30 springs stock.If I put one 10% stiffer spring in the total spring rate increase for both fork legs is to .315.[.30+.33 divided by 2].If I put two 10% stiffer springs in I would end up with a rate of .33.[.33+.33 divided by 2]. Yes, I do feel better now.
Well, except that I havent called any retailer for the springs to see how they are sold? We definitely NOW have a thread with as much information on front springs, for Gasgas Pro Aluminum Marzoochi forks as I know, hehehee!
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #62
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by mung View Post
Spring rate has nothing to do with "feel". It has everything to do with math. My Raga came with .30 springs stock.If I put one 10% stiffer spring in the total spring rate increase for both fork legs is to .315.[.30+.33 divided by 2].If I put two 10% stiffer springs in I would end up with a rate of .33.[.33+.33 divided by 2]. Yes, I do feel better now.
Just to be a total PITA - your total equivalent K for the forks would be .66 for two .33 springs.

Two springs exert twice the force of a single spring right?
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:08 AM   #63
mung
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
More springs

L-17.Yes the total would be .66 but since you have 2 fork legs .66 divided by 2 equals .33. Here is another example. Kawasakis new motocrossers this year brag about lightening the forks by going to one fork spring.To get the correct overall rate for one spring in one leg they would have to double the spring rate that was used in two fork legs with two springs.If they used two .50 springs in two legs last year then to get the equivalent spring rate they would have to use a 1.0 spring in one side to end up the same. Mark
mung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #64
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
You are correct sir! I was hung up on semantics but were on the same page now.
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote