User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2012, 07:45 PM   #1
MacG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
IMS 10 gal. Adventure tank for 08+ KLR

When I bought a new-to-me 09 one of my first concerns was to keep from damaging the expensive plastics. I decided on either the Happy Trails PD nerf bars or the 10gal. IMS tank which doesn't require crash bars. The hardest part of the decision to go with the IMS was the cost($550) but decided to go this route and keep my stock tank and shrouds in pristine shape. 10 gal. of gas would be heavy but I wouldn't have the weight of the crash bars. To compare the two options I weighed the components while I was installing and took a few pics for those that may be considering this option.

Externally the tank is close to the original tank/shroud in size and shape.

There is a vacuum operated pump and hoses inside the tank to move gas from the lower parts of the tank up to the petcock. A large opening is required for installation of the internals. A large machined aluminum plate is mounted on the top. There is a choice(on ordering) between a screw on cap or using the cap from the stock tank. This is for the OEM cap.

At the rear of the tank there are two ports. The left is for the vent tube,the right for the vacuum fuel pump

Comparison of the two

Before and after pics to give an idea of the look

I trailered the bike to put gas in the first time so I could get the actual capacity,it held 10.1 gal.

I used a small scale and rounded the numbers off but it gives a ballpark idea of what is there. Gasoline calculated at 6.1 lbs./ gal.
After the install,these are the results:

Stock tank empty.... 10.5 lbs.
Shrouds..... 3.0 lbs.
HT PD bars and
required mounting bars 11.5
6 gal. gas 36.5
------------
Total 61.5 lbs.

IMS tank empty..... 11.5 lbs.
10 gal. gas 61.0 lbs.
-------------------
Total 72.5 lbs.

Ballpark figures come to around 11 lbs. more for the IMS when full. After a few miles when the fuel level goes down, the weight feels like the standard set-up.
Time will tell how it works out but so far I like it.

IMS has a kit for this to fit the Gen1 KLR as well

MacG screwed with this post 07-20-2012 at 12:46 PM
MacG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:14 PM   #2
drklr
MotoTrvlr

Oddometer: 423
Looks good.. Black must be slimming cause my IMS 6.5 white tank makes my 1999 KLR look like a whale.

Funny about keeping your tank and shrouds pristine. I did that with my first DR350, having bought a plastic tank and putting the orginal away. After a few years the DR looked like crap, but the orginal tank looked great. Couldn't put it back on the bike...it would have looked out of place.

I got my IMS for the same reason. I actually think the tank may have been cheaper, or a little more money than the nerf bars, and I gained a gallon more fuel and some protection, although not as much as you seemed to have gained.

John
Old 05-30-2012, 10:40 PM   #3
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,115
That tank is huge!!!

Think of it this way, you don't have to fill the tank all the way up when trail riding... Adjustable weight... The range must be amazing.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:07 AM   #4
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
Thanks for posting the information & photos. I can't believe how "skinny" the 10 gal. tank looks from above. I was worried the thing would spread my legs like a hooker on saturday night but, that doesn't seem like so much of a problem now.

IMS claims the 10 gal. carries it's weight much lower than the stocker. If you only put 3 or 4 gallons in it, it will probably feel lighter or at least less top heavy than a stock KLR. I personally will NEVER ride more than 150 miles without getting off & giving my poor abused buttox a break but, a 500 mile cruiseing range between fill ups could come in very handy after the zombie apocolipse or if the tankers stop rolling for any reason.

I don't like the idea of a fuel pump inside the tank, just another thing to go wrong IMO but, if it is of quality it probably won't be an issue. I will most likely drop the $550 on this new & wonderfull farkle & it is your photo's that have helped me decide.
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:41 AM   #5
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
simply awesome!

I would reccomend 2 rates up on the fork springs, other than that awesome job and the tank looks great in black, it really does slim it down

cool stuff
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:55 AM   #6
NewHampWoodsRider
Tag Captor

Oddometer: 458
Awesome!!
Thanks for the write up!
Looks very good!
NewHampWoodsRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:03 AM   #7
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,191
Thats great, its huge, but does not look awkward on the bike, looks to fit well.

my dad's honda fit has a 10 gallon gas tank, lol,

great tank.
150ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:30 AM   #8
MacG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The outside of the IMS is basically the same as the stock tank and shrouds. Much of the capacity is gained by turning the wasted area of the shrouds into fuel storage. Another comparison is the IMS with the same amount of gas as the stock tank(36.5 lbs.) would weigh 13.5 lbs less than the stock tank/crash bar set up and the weight would be lower. As for the internal pump being an issue,on the bottom of each side of the tank there is a brass fitting. If the internal pump goes bad these two outlets could be plumbed into a Briggs & Stratton vacuum pump and bypass the internal pump. I will cross that bridge when I get to it. I don't do many 500 mile stretches but sometimes I follow too many back roads,FS roads,etc. and end up looking for a gas station. With this tank that won't be as much of an issue.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:50 AM   #9
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
nice tank! its always better to have more capacity like your 10 gallon tank because you dont have to fill it all the way if you dont want to. but when you need it, its there for longer rides.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:05 PM   #10
el profe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Those are great pics, thanks for posting. That's making me inch closer to buying one of those tanks. Can an 08+ faring can be mounted to the older bikes? I like how the newer fairing fits with the tank so much better. I think I might buy a used faring when I get the big tank and try to cobble something together.
el profe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #11
MacG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Update:
About a month ago I was riding to North Carolina and checking to see how far the IMS went on reserve. At 328 miles I had to switch to reserve(my KLR averages a little over 50 mpg). Later when I stopped I noticed a gas odor and saw a drip come from the petcock area. No big deal,I'll re-seal the petcock when I get back. The next day I removed the petcock and dried the mounting surface on the tank.When I went to mount the petcock the surface was wet again. Closer inspection revealed that the tank had a pinhole leak in the seam near the petcock. I had heard of an occasional leak with the other versions of IMS tanks, I just happened to get one of the new ones. I contacted IMS and was sent a replacement tank. While discussing sending the defective tank back I suggested that they let me do a cut away of the tank and post pics of how the plumbing works. They agreed with my idea so here is what is inside the tank.

The two outlets on the rear of the tank. The one on the right goes to the carburetor vacumn line,the one on the left goes to the gas cap vent outlet

Left tube goes diectly to the cap flange

The right tube goes to the vacuum pump. The yellow hose on the right side of the pump is the pickup line that goes to a filter,then a "Y", then to the R/L wings on the bottom of the tank. The yellow hose on the left side of the pump goes to the fuel reservoir.

The pickup lines go to the lowest side of the tank on each side

The tube is attached to a fitting at the bottom of the tank wing.

The tube is attached to this pickup fitting.

From this view you can see that the yellow tube in the the pic pumps the fuel to the petcock area. The partition(dam) retains the fuel so that it can go through the petcock. I put a piece of tubing in to show how the petcock tube would fit in the reservoir system.

Hopefully this will explain how the internal fuel pump system works. The system is quite simple and can be serviced if needed. When I installed the new tank I put a small amount of fuel in and it was picked up quickly showing that the pump was working correctly.
So far I really like the tank other than the leak. Most of the added weight is low on the bike and handling isn't an issue on pavement or gravel roads.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #12
Bustyrucket
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Awesome job! I've always wondered how thick the plastic is on those tanks, now I know!
Bustyrucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:58 PM   #13
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,906
Thanks, thats a top notch writeup and review.Thats a nice set up you have, love the styling on the new KLR.
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:05 PM   #14
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,906
When you fill the tank, does the fuel first go to the low sections of the tank ?

If so, how many gallons til you are up in the petcock area ? That way you will know how many gallons need to be in the tank for the carb to get fuel if the vacuum pump or lines ever fail.
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #15
VikB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
Thanks for the pics. It's nice to see the before and after shots...

I understand you don't need the crash bars to protect the plastic shrouds, but what happens when you lay the bike down and grind away at the gas tank or drop it onto some sharp rocks? What's the field repair for a full tank that's got a hole?

Vik...
www.klr650blog.com
I didn't done the doo!
VikB is offline   Reply With Quote