Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 06:23 AM   #286
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Wow, this thread is dead Got some video for you from the ride we did on Sunday. I know some of you don't like music but too bad

Old 12-26-2012, 06:48 AM   #287
machalooney
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Gas mileage?

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a 500 XC-W, but the one red flag that really put the breaks on my purchase at the moment is the fuel economy with the FI???

I was reading Neduro's thread and it seems he's had very poor gas mileage and seems mystified to date. I've read everywhere between 15 mpg - 30 mpg.

What you say?

machalooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #288
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by machalooney View Post
I'm close to pulling the trigger on a 500 XC-W, but the one red flag that really put the breaks on my purchase at the moment is the fuel economy with the FI???

I was reading Neduro's thread and it seems he's had very poor gas mileage and seems mystified to date. I've read everywhere between 15 mpg - 30 mpg.

What you say?

30 in the single track and about 40 ds riding. I'm in the standard map
Old 12-26-2012, 11:32 AM   #289
machalooney
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
30 in the single track and about 40 ds riding. I'm in the standard map
That sounds better...
machalooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #290
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Wow, this thread is dead Got some video for you from the ride we did on Sunday. I know some of you don't like music but too bad

Great video Crankshaft! Riding studded tires?

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:44 AM   #291
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,850
The one time I paid attention to mileage. I got 50mpg on the nose. This was on a tight singletrack around 10K elevation. My bike is a 2012, stock map.
Soon to be changing the map to one with "mods". (exhaust) and maybe try a 2013 map.

Those who are posting mileage estimates. What year is your bike? And did you change the map?
c.vestal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #292
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Wheeler View Post
Great video Crankshaft! Riding studded tires?
Thanks Greg! Running car studs, I had 4 boxes in the shop and decided to use them up. They work great, they still allow me to slide into corners enduro style. The other 500 in the video has sheet metal screws in the knobs and the work pretty good also. The sheet metal screws give you better drive but don't slide as well. I'll be making a set of long stud tires soon, using the 19.5 mm rally studs
Old 12-26-2012, 01:12 PM   #293
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.vestal View Post
The one time I paid attention to mileage. I got 50mpg on the nose. This was on a tight singletrack around 10K elevation. My bike is a 2012, stock map.
Soon to be changing the map to one with "mods". (exhaust) and maybe try a 2013 map.

Those who are posting mileage estimates. What year is your bike? And did you change the map?
2012 here, standard map. No interest in getting more power, happy the way it is.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:01 PM   #294
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer: 1,106
It hasn’t been much of a secret that I’ve been working on a fairing, in anticipation of finishing the fairing mold I started a new project for my bike. Since it's just over a year old I figured it would be time to do a pretty good once over. I cleaned it up, greased the bearings, changed oil and checked the valves.

First off started thinking about what I’d like to do based on what I’d already had done and all the extra things I never used. I also wanted it to be as flexible as possible to test some new parts and wanted to able to go between the triple clamp mount and the frame mount for the fairing quickly and easily.

Just that parameter meant wiring had to go minimal and need to swap out easily, so pulled the turn signals, heated grips, Powerlet, map switch and stock computer, I like the stock computer and its functionality, but the digits are so small that it takes too much time to register. So for now going with the Trail Tech Striker.
The fairing while being mainly used for roadbook rides, will be made to mount in at least 3 versions, frame, triple and fork mounted.

Circuits I’ll keep, lights, Hi beam, horn, fan override and key switch.
I’ll add a USB port and a spare 12v circuit for the roadbook.

First while tearing the bike down, I put the frame mount back on while doing the head bearing. This is what it looked like, the backing plate always stayed in.

The backing plate,

With the frame mount bolted up,

With the triples and forks back in place,

Next mounting the Scott’s submt/tower bracket, the front bolts get tightened up with the rears in place to line the assembly up.

With that in place I started mocking up the top clamp and how the wiring would work in a limited space.

I Like the Sumitomo connectors, if you notice all the critical electrical on the bike is done with these, the rest done with Molex, I replaced all of them for peace of mind. Here’s the beginning of where the heart of the wiring will live. One of the other things that I made sure could be redundant was the key switch, it can be removed for rides that I don’t have to worry about opportunistic theft.

A few of the other new parts I’m trying are a different way to mount the lamps to the computer housings, this will allow them to be added to all the different ones I have.

Another thing I’ve fought is stripping the hex on the bar end bolts, so I’m trying 10mm which have a hex big enough to handle more abuse.

Man lived, Man suffered, Man died

theantipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:11 PM   #295
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

With the wiring shaping up it was time to mount it all up on the bike, here’s the bundle high and tight, it needs to be able to swing above the frame mount and still need to tuck into the triple tower. Also with all the little connectors for the lamps, temp, kill, speedo and computer, I went ahead and color coded them with shrink tube.

Next comes a trip to the molders for test shots, 3mi away, he wouldn’t let me take any pics of him, but here’s the business end,

And back to start building the mounting brackets,

Having had a few months to daydream about the mounts so I already had plans on what to try first,

Old 01-18-2013, 07:13 PM   #296
toddler
Unpronouncible

Oddometer: 2,708
kick ass as usual Paul
toddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:21 PM   #297
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

I can't wait to get my hands on one of these! Great work Paul!
Old 01-18-2013, 07:32 PM   #298
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

Thanks guys,

With the wiring sorted out on the frame mounted version it as time to see how the triple mounted tower would mount and if the wiring could all fit in there.

The right hand side plate can be removed while all the components stay bolted to the other side for ease of working.

I’ll be trying a plastic shear bolt for the roadbook mount to allow limited rotation in the event of an impact.

Buttoned up,

We have a volleyball tournament this weekend, so I’ll need to find time to finish the wiring and go for a ride. Up next is the fork mounted version, same brackets, just reversed,

Old 01-18-2013, 08:30 PM   #299
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,620
Wow!
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:43 AM   #300
D-Train
Ridin' Dirty

Oddometer: 1,257