Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2012, 04:09 PM   #106
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,025
I have some Klim pants.. but I prefer my over the boot Thor Ride pants. They're awesome for Colorado.. I can open them up and get air and then when we get our afternoon thundershowers they are waterproof. I like them so much I have a bunch of pairs in reserve (they stopped making them so I bought every pair I could find). I've been using this model of pant for the past 5 years and have no desire to change.

Here's a photo of the pants from last weekend's Dinosaur ride (I'm in all black) that someone took.. you can just see the melted spot on the right ankle from the 500's exhaust.

AntiPaul and I played motohooky today and spent it at the track with the 500s.

Paul's nephew rode his bike for 10 minutes and his exhaust now looks just like mine with a big spot of melted pants on it from Derek's over the boot pant (not sure what brand his pants are.. Looking at this photo.. Ogio maybe?

Definitely going to put a shield of some sort on there... when I was on the clay flat-track oval today pushing the bike down into the corners with my right knee I could smell more pant burning.

Speaking of bling... I can't wait to get the HighwayDirtbikes roadbook tower installed on my 500... the thing is stunning (and bulletproof)
I had a good look at the system and the prototype windscreen today.

Here's a photo of the fairing prototype from the Rally navigation bracket thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684282

cheers!

Geek screwed with this post 06-06-2012 at 04:15 PM
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:02 PM   #107
Gehrcke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Your shield is behind the frame... my melted pant leg is in front of the frame by the engine cylinder.
How about exhaust wrap? You only need to wrap about 10" it looks. No worries, I did the same thing to my pants on my 530.
Gehrcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #108
trailjammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod View Post
What are you wearing for pants? I have never burned anything on that section of pipe, other than snow pants. Consider a pair of Klim pants, as they have leather or, on the older ones, some textile that doesn't melt. I have ITB and OTB, and both have been great.

Maybe you just want the carbon fibre bling
I run Klim pants and haven't burned them there on the header yet, but my friends have fallen and the pipe has pressed against their legs burning holes in their pants. I have heard of people buying that E-Line Carbon Fiber guard and cutting it to work for their pipes.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:28 PM   #109
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 733
Another option from the e-line, KTM Powerparts has a carbon heat shield for the 350, or sicass has a universal and inexpensive pipe shield. Will save $$ replacing pants.
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:49 PM   #110
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oops.. I think I should have posted this here in the XCW thread instead of the EXC thread as I think XCW owners are more likely to need a rally tree?

*pasted from other thread*

It's a rally cockpit... giving you lots of space for roadbooks, gps's, etc.. as well as giving you lots of lighting options.

All pieces are aluminum (anodized black) and the thing is amazingly strong (as witnessed last Wednesday when I watched Paul cartwheel his bike end over end )

As you can see in this photo, the bar risers actually bolt with 4 12mm bolts to the upper triple clamp making them incredibly stout:

Between the risers (of which they have different heights available) you can see the adjustable damper mount

The system is designed so that you can run one headlight, or two. You can run it with your stock fairing or a rally fairing (which they don't have done yet). For now I'm going to replace my stock headlight with a single Squadron unit and get rid of the pathetic excuse for a stock headlight; then I'll consider going with two squadrons or maybe a stryker and a squadron after they have the full fairing available.

Either way... I'm excited about doing some night riding now instead of fearing it with the stock candle

The squadron mount has a precise fit spacer with an boss built in for the anti-slip ring. You torque it down tight, the ring is made to crush out the right amount:

Here you can see I have the squadron mounted in the middle hole in the bottom location. Both mounting locations have 3 different mounting points giving lots of adjustability/tuneability depending on what you are using for lights

This is the backing plate for the squadron that allows mounting it to my stock 500's headlight mask

This spacer/re-enforcement ring is aluminum

Lots of cockpit space for roadbook, etc

...to be continued.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:49 PM   #111
Geek OP
oot & aboot

...and the 500 has my wallets attention as I start to set it up

Also added the 13L tank and picked up new springs front and rear.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:03 PM   #112
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Since I had to pull everything to install the rally tree I did the fork springs quick...

Still a ways to go!

Old 06-16-2012, 08:42 PM   #113
toddler
Unpronouncible

Oddometer: 2,689
After 40 miles of riding today, my bike died and would not restart. That has never happened before. Fortunately, it was 3 miles downhill to the road

I'm sure it was the stock fuel filter. 47 hours and 1100 miles. I have the warrantee replacements to put in and make sure that is the issue. I sure hope so.
toddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:22 PM   #114
Geek OP
oot & aboot

let us know Todd... mine died the other day and wouldn't restart for a few minutes.. not sure the cause. Sadly my bike only has 111 miles on it but I'm looking to fix that soon

I'm trying to find a "signfiicant" 20 micron filter (as in the size of a film canister) to use inline instead of the existing system. My bike still has the 10 micron stock filter... I need to change it.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:17 AM   #115
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddler View Post
After 40 miles of riding today, my bike died and would not restart. That has never happened before. Fortunately, it was 3 miles downhill to the road

I'm sure it was the stock fuel filter. 47 hours and 1100 miles. I have the warrantee replacements to put in and make sure that is the issue. I sure hope so.

The night ride last Friday when I told you mine was hesitating, I popped out the 10micron inline filter, popped in the 20 and sure enough has run great ever since. I wasn't too surprised I've had the tank on and off so many times.

Man lived, Man suffered, Man died

theantipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:09 AM   #116
Geek OP
oot & aboot

What's the resolution of that fuel sock you are running?
Old 06-17-2012, 06:23 AM   #117
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
What's the resolution of that fuel sock you are running?
That I don't know, it's for a CRF.

Man lived, Man suffered, Man died

theantipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:54 AM   #118
toddler
Unpronouncible

Well, I still have the stock filter in, so I sure hope the filter is the issue. All was running well on some technical singletrack that would have been very hard to tow out of. Then in the midst of a heated battle it just sputtered out and died. I had a couple hundred yard coast to a dirt road then 3 miles of very steep downhill to a paved road where they came and picked my up.

It won't start now.

I'm planning to put the big tank on today, adjust the valves, and change the oil so it was almost perfect timing if it was the filter.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:13 AM   #119
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Guys,

If you are looking into fuel filter options start reading the Husaberg 70 threads, they have been tried and tested for 4 years including several Dakars and have the exact same EFI system.

Popular inline options for fuel filters are the one from the Canam quad and recently the ones made by Golan.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:27 PM   #120
toddler
Unpronouncible

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddler View Post
Well, I still have the stock filter in, so I sure hope the filter is the issue. All was running well on some technical singletrack that would have been very hard to tow out of. Then in the midst of a heated battle it just sputtered out and died. I had a couple hundred yard coast to a dirt road then 3 miles of very steep downhill to a paved road where they came and picked my up.

It won't start now.

I'm planning to put the big tank on today, adjust the valves, and change the oil so it was almost perfect timing if it was the filter.
NUTZ!

Putting in the new filter did not help.

I tracked things down to the Fuel pump, it is not pumping.

Fuses are good
Spark is good
Fresh air filter

Try to start and no fuel is making it to the fuel line!

Bad pump or is this a symptom of a clogged internal fuel filter?

Anyone else see this?