ride safe

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:28 AM   #17
BMW Kurt OP
Bluesman

Oddometer: 9,861
Just playing around with my SPOT and this seems like a pretty cool feature. You can see my ride through the south.

Latin America Part 1 (The South)

Share your Adventures with SpotAdventures
Old 03-23-2012, 06:42 AM   #18
BMW Kurt OP
Bluesman

I'm still in Longview, TX celebrating the birthdays of my sister and father. My son arrived at Love Field, Dallas, TX yesterday with my granddaughter. Today and tomorrow we will have four generations together for photos.

(Both of these get their good looks from me!)

On Sunday I will hit the road towards Big Bend National Park and spend a few days there. The the meat of the trip begins. Latin America, here I come ready or not!!!
Old 03-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #19
BMW Kurt OP
Bluesman

Still on the Road

I'm still on the road! Just having trouble fining a good enough Wi-Fi connection when I want to post. I'm in Big Bend National Park now and will spend a couple of days here before heading to Eagle Pass. Hopefully I can get a Wi-Fi connection that is fast enough to upload some pictures. It was beautiful riding through Central Texas with the Bluebonnets and Indian Paintbrushes in full bloom. Tomorrow I will be heading for Terlingua.

Viva Terlingua!
Old 03-26-2012, 02:29 PM   #20
mcgo104
Habitual Linestepper

Oddometer: 59
Ok, I'm in, ride safe.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #21
BMW Kurt OP
Bluesman

I am in Eagle Pass, TX and tomorrow I will be crossing into Mexico. It has been a few days since I have had reliable Wi-Fi so I am going to let the pictures do the talking. I am solo so I really have no tales to tell on other inmates. The scenery has been the story so far.

As I mentioned before my son arrived in Texas from San Diego to have "Four Generations Photo" with my granddaughter and father.

We also celebrated my father's 83rd birthday.

The next morning I rode west! First through Kilgore, TX where the World's Richest Acre is located.

Then to Brady, TX. Brady has been designated the Heart of Texas since is near the geographic center of the state.

I spent the night in Ozona and then headed for Big Bend National Park. I stopped in Marathon and had the three taco lunch at Johnny B's. I recommend it!

It has been thirty years since I was in Big Bend. It is still beautiful!

No words need for most of you guys!

Honest! This is Nugent Moutain! No relation (that I know of)

The next day I rode to Terlingua.

Breakfast in Texas! Breakfast burrito and a Lone Star!

Boquillas del Carmen, MX on the other side of the river. They are building a pedestrian crossing to Boquillas but the rangers told me it may be summer before it is open.

These items were left for sale by Mexican Nationals. Totally on the honor system.

Notice the sign posted next to the items.

Here is a close-up of the sign. When i was here thirty years ago we were encouraged to buy items from the Mexicans in Boquillas.

That night a big storm came through dumped a buttload of rain. Maybe I should move up to one of these.

I left Big Bend for Eagle Pass, TX. On the way I passed Langtry, TX where Judge Roy Bean dispensed liquor and justice.

I guess we aren't going to have an ADV Rally here any time soon!

I then crossed the Pecos River High Bridge. The highest bridge in Texas.

From there it was pretty much ball to wall to Eagle Pass. I'll be entering Mexico tomorrow and I don't usually stay in five star hotels so the next report will happen when it happens!

Adios!
Old 03-28-2012, 05:19 PM   #22
mundobravo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,117
ride well Kurt , and look for good strong WiFi in many of Mexico's Pueblos. Right on the plaza are the "hot spots" .
http://www.vimeo.com/7780879
mundobravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:11 PM   #23
BMW Kurt OP
Bluesman

I'm in!

I crossed the border at Piedras Negras this morning and made only one mistake. I entered at Puerto I and migracion is at Puerto II. About 7 blocks away, if you know where it is. I asked locals "Donde esta Puerto dos?" and would try to follow their directions until I asked again. I got a little bit closer each time and finally I saw the building. I went in and was instructed to sit until the immigration official came out. WOW! I wish our immigration officials looked like this one! She was hawt! She did all the paperwork for me and sent me on my way to the Banjercito 54 KM away. I was afraid I could not find the Banjercito, but you can't miss it! Again the official was a beautiful young lady and she processed my motorcycle for the TVIP politely and professionally. I think our officials could use a lesson from them. Here is my prize symbolizing that all the entry requirements are completed.

I stopped at a Pemex to buy some tacos and tried to pay with some 10 peso bills that were given to me by a friend that was in Mexico about 20 years ago. It turns out that the bills are no longer valid. The manager of the Pemex began apologizing and I could not figure out why. The it occurred to me that he thought I had received the bills from a Mexican who was trying to pass them to me as change. I told him this was not the case, that a friend had given them to me. A collector of old bills overheard our conversation and bought the bills from me at face value!

I was planning on staying at Monclava but I forgot that Mexico does not do the whole daylight savings time thing and I had another hour to go. So I rode to Saltillo. The ride on 57 is fairly boring and this was really the only scenery on that stretch of road.

My Spanish class has paid off already. I went out to eat this evening and locked my key in my room. I was able to explain this to the receptionist, in Spanish, and get my room opened.

I don't know how far I will get tomorrow, but stay posted.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:26 AM   #24
schwahead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
As a fellow asheville native and beemer owner I'm in!
schwahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:06 PM   #25
BMW Kurt OP
Bluesman

I left Saltillo early in the morning to get as much riding time as possible in the cooler temperatures. MX 57 leaves Saltillo and goes up! It got downright cold! I rode to Matehuala and found an ATM to replenish my funds. Just south of Matehuala I crossed the Tropic of Cancer. My motorcycle has now taken me from the Arctic Circle on the Haul Road to the Tropic of Cancer in Mexico and I've got the pictures to prove it!

At the Arctic Circle June 21, 2008.

At the Tropic of Cancer March 30, 2012

Finally I left 57 and took 80 through Ciudad del Maiz. MX 80 to Cd. del Maiz was a long straight road...but after that what a blast! The road climbed in altitude until it was cool and rain forest like and then dropped down into sugar cane fields. Trucks were loaded to the rafters and beyond with sugar cane.

I also rode through my first two military check points. No biggie. I just said "Hablo un poco de espanol" and they waved me on.

Also Holy Week begings Sunday and all of the churches are spruced up with flags and decorations. Kind of gaudy and not really my taste, but hey, it's their country!

I really pushed it too hard today and on arriving in Ciudad Valles I decided to stay two nights here. I found the Hotel Pina using Sjoerd's book and what a find. The hotel costs the same for two nights as the hotel I stayed in in Saltillo and is much nicer to boot. If you are planning on coming here you should get his book!

I wanted to take some pictures tonight but darkness falls fast in the tropics. I read that in a Graham Greene book back in college. It really does get dark quick.

BMW Kurt screwed with this post 03-30-2012 at 07:22 PM
BMW Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:17 AM   #26
philp38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,165
I'm in... Ride safe Kurt.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:21 PM   #27
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,668
Good luck with the ride ! Keep us posted, especially with hotel/restuarant details.

ps
Interesting to see that you have roots in Louisiana and Texas (Jena and Longview). I grew up in Shreveport and went to college in Monroe, so I know the area well.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:55 PM   #28
BMW Kurt OP
Bluesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Good luck with the ride ! Keep us posted, especially with hotel/restuarant details.

ps
Interesting to see that you have roots in Louisiana and Texas (Jena and Longview). I grew up in Shreveport and went to college in Monroe, so I know the area well.
I grew up watching Shreveport television back in the days when we only had three channels. On KTAL there was a children's show and the host's name was Captain Talltower.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:11 PM   #29
BMW Kurt OP
Bluesman

Cd. Valles

Not much to report today. I just strolled around Cd. Valles and watched the people and took in the the Latin American culture and attitudes. They are much more laid back and not as uptight as we are. Today, I think I'll just post some photos of things that made me go hmmmmmm.

There is a thin layer of white dust that covers everything here, but I don't know how. They are continually sweeping and mopping.

My hotel, the Hotel Pina.

I think I'll keep my beemer!

One stop shopping. Lawyer, dentist and pet pharmacy.

Hey! You never know when you might need one of these!

Is this where nachos were invented?

Why wash your car at home? Just drive it to the river!

Kinda slow for a Saturday.

OK! Got a customer!

I tried to spend a nice peaceful morning in the plaza. Damn birds wouldn't shut up!

For lunch I had a steak dinner. The steak, potatoes, soup, bread and coke set me back six bucks! I went out this evening and had helados for dinner again. I then grabbed a quart of Corona Familiar and watched the Mexico/Canada soccer match.

I'll be leaving Cd. Valles tomorrow, but I am tempted just to stay here!
Old 03-31-2012, 07:16 PM   #30
garrydymond
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
if you want to come to Mex City you are welcome to stay with us.