Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2012, 06:10 PM   #46
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Oddometer: 3,198
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride," -From 'Eldorado', Edgar Allen Poe (1849) http://www.eapoe.org/works/poems/eldrdoa.htm
eap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #47
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,122
Interesting stuff. Glad to see you are adjusting to Mexican time measurment and daily distance
As for the heat - it may be tough for you if you are wearing TOO MUCH riding gear. You ought to be wearing a mesh jacket over short sleeves and no teeshirt under it and maybe mesh pants :I just wear jeans.
I have seen waaaay too many northerners-- and Mexicans too! sweltering in full touring goretech regalia because that is what the European and Gringo bike magazine ads show the serious fashionable riders wearing. Well yaah, if they live in climates where it is chilly all the summer and cold the rest of the year. A few years ago I saw a Mexican riding in 36C temps wearing a full cover leather suit. Spiffy. A stretch down the road I passed him again and he had the leathers top peeled off and sleeves tied together now just with his teeshirt on . One extreme to the other-.
Also it has already been said , head for higher elevation and it will be cooler quickly. Going south does not mean it will always be hotter. You will be surprised by the temp change in just a short ride uphill or down.It may be 40C in downtown Villahermosa but south and uphill on Mex 195 it will be nuch fresher. Enjoy the warmth,drink lots of water
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:29 AM   #48
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,198
Just an FYI, the roads are going to be packed with drunks on vacation from today through Sunday so be careful. This is a semana santa, the biggest beach getaway weekend of the year for all the inlanders. The mexican equivalent of spring break. Look out.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #49
BMW Kurt OP
Self Bannned

Oddometer: 9,273
Plans have changed! I should have known better than to try this with a plan. More later.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:44 AM   #50
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,445
I'm in! i'm marking your citys/sights/experiences on my Mex map by my computer. I'm also taking notes of your hotels and the cost...
Old 04-10-2012, 05:01 AM   #51
Dillard
Seeker

Oddometer: 72
[QUOTE=I wanted to take some pictures tonight but darkness falls fast in the tropics. I read that in a Graham Greene book back in college. It really does get dark quick.[/QUOTE]

A ride report with a Graham Greene reference and Lone Star for breakfast. I'm liking this already.

Safe travels, Kurt.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:33 AM   #52
David13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 593
Ah, more Mexico stuff. I am going to have to read all this. But later, as now I'm about to start out from Mulege to Catavina.
Who said there would be so many on the road for Semana Santa? There was not much at all on my way down last week. It was sparse, and the campers on the beach seemed to be very orderly.
But some of the beaches were supposedly closed in Cabo.
dc
David13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:19 AM   #53
frank wheelbarrow
ten four

Oddometer: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Kurt View Post
Plans have changed! I should have known better than to try this with a plan. More later.
I'm sorry the American west can wait you need to go see Yaviza! Just saying. You can do it!
know that they are only 5 outcomes at the end of the two weeks: Finish, Mechanical, Abandon, Injuries, Death.
frank wheelbarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:31 AM   #54
Boojum
I Miss the PartyBoss

Oddometer: 5,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Kurt View Post

I know,.....your headed to Cabo for a 3 week drunk!

Boojum
Boojum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #55
artbone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Come visit San Miguel de Allende

I can't figure out where you are from your posts but if you get near San Miguel de Allende, stop by. I'd love to buy you a beer. SMA is at 6500 ft so it's cool year round. Actually, this is about the hottest time of the year and the high today is supposed to be 85.
SMA is a beautiful old colonial town with a lot to offer.
We have a bike club, MotoClasico that meets every wed. at 5 PM at the LongHorn Barbecue. A bunch of old gringos that like to ride bikes, talk about bikes, and drink beer. Stop by if you can.

Art

Not all who wander are lost.
artbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:38 PM   #56
BMW Kurt OP
Self Bannned

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbone View Post
I can't figure out where you are from your posts but if you get near San Miguel de Allende, stop by.
Art
Hell, even I don't know where I am here half the time. I have chucked my plan out the window and just riding where I damn well please! It seems I got some bogus information from a local and started heading back north. Hopefully I can do a full update in a day or two. It will include a small town Passion Play complete with Judas hanging from a tree, Chichen Itza, from heat to snow covered mountains, an active volcano, and a Mexico City rush hour ride.

Damn! I'm having too much fun to do a ride report! (But I will)
Old 04-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #57
BMW Kurt OP
Self Bannned

After getting my top box repaired I rode to Coatzacolcos, MX. Coatzacolcos is a resort town and I decided to stay for two days.

Leaving Coatzacolcos I rode for Piste which is the village just outside Chichen Itza. That night I made it to Campeche and ate tacos from a street vendor. Anyone who tells you not to eat the street food is crazy. It's about all I've eaten since I have been here. It is better than restaurant food!

The next day I made to Piste in the Yucatan. It was Good Friday and the town had a Passion Play complete with Judas hanging from a tree. Judas was portrayed by a real man!

Can you spot Judas?

There he is!

My posada (inn) in Piste, MX.

Our preferred mode of transportation is the family car in Mexico! Notice Dad is the only one wearing a helmet.

Laundry day in Piste.

These are signs I have come to hate. The warn you of the topes.

The next day I went to Chichen Itza. I'm glad I did since it won't be here in 2013! I went very early in the morning to avoid the heat and the crowds. About 11:00AM the tour buses full of Germans, French and Americans start arriving and it quickly becomes like Disney World.

While I was in Piste I was talking to Mexican who told me that I could not turn in my TVIP in Baja as I had planned. I had no internet access and my Spanish is not good enough to confirm this with any of the officials. I thought he was wrong, but being a Mexican newbie I really didn't know. He told me I had to turn in my TVIP at the same Banjercito where I received it! Damn! Even though I was pretty sure he was wrong, who was I to argue with a Mexican about his own country. I started making plans to return to the states via Eagle Passs, ride across NM and AZ and re-enter Mexico in Baja. It would change the trip drastically, but it would still be a good trip.

I started heading back for the US. Tomorrow I hope to update you on that leg of the trip.

Spoiler Alert: The Mexican was wrong!
Old 04-12-2012, 06:25 AM   #58
mundobravo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,100
good work getting to Chichen Itza early. Nice photos . Of course that mexican was wrong. Take the ferry to Baja if you can, fun trip. If not , I'm in Santa Fe . Give a shout if you pass by. Beers , bed and parking.
stay safe
http://www.vimeo.com/7780879
mundobravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:20 AM   #59
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
" These are signs I have come to hate. They warn you of the topes."

Man I love those signs and wish there were more of them to keep me from going airborne!
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:30 AM   #60
mundobravo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post
" These are signs I have come to hate. They warn you of the topes."

Man I love those signs and wish there were more of them to keep me from going airborne!
I know what you mean. How about the other way when they just "paint" a tope and you hit the brakes but nothing is there ! But really the best is the way they will just leave the wreckage of a head on crash ( VW van vs Semi Truck) on the road into town with a slow down sign . That shit works for me, at least for a hour or so ..lol ..
http://www.vimeo.com/7780879
mundobravo is offline   Reply With Quote