Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2012, 07:14 AM   #76
BMW Kurt OP
Bluesman

Oddometer: 9,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINNY View Post
You can cancel the TVIP at any border crossing with a Banjercito permit office...it does not have to be the same as your entry point.
I think that is the key phrase. Not all Banjercitos can issue or cancel a TVIP. I found this out in Piedras Negras. I went through migracion at Piedras Negras and paid the fee for it at a Banjercito there. I asked about the TVIP and they said I must go to the Banjercito at the aduana (customs). That was 53 or kilometers inland. I did not know it at the time but there was a migracion office there too and I could have done both at the same place. OH well, live and learn. I'm smarter now than I was before!

Note: The migracion officer in Piedras Negras was beautiful! I would probably still do migracion there just so I could see her again!
Old 04-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #77
BMW Kurt OP
Bluesman

Arches National Park

Today I spent in Arches National Park, a photographer's dream. The weathering process has shaped the red sandstone in the area into magnificent sculptures and arches. The park is relatively small and I was able to ride all of it in about three hours. To photograph this park would take years!

The above arch is the Delicate Arch, the symbol for Utah that can be seen on many of their license plates.

More riding tomorrow and on Friday I will be heading for Mexican Hat, UT. If you read Neil Peart's book Ghost Rider or have seen Alton Brown's Feasting on Asphalt on the Food Network you know about the Mexican Hat Lodge.

BMW Kurt screwed with this post 04-19-2012 at 09:38 AM
BMW Kurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:22 PM   #78
jbeem
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Kurt,
You will be close to Moki Dugway. It will be worth the trip to ride up it and over to Muley Point. From Muley Point, you can look down onto Goosenecks and see all the way to Monument Valley. Have fun, sounds like a great trip.
03 KLX 400
08 Versys
jbeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:20 PM   #79
BMW Kurt OP
Bluesman

Ut 128

Today I rode Utah State Highway 128. I leaves Moab and follows the Colorado River to I-70. Nice ride!

Tomorrow I am just going to take care of a few things such as laundry and then Friday I will be off for Mexican Hat, UT.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:11 AM   #80
mundobravo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,117
Great photos ! great part of the world , great ride ... 'here's a little experimental video I put together shot along them roads.
https://vimeo.com/4104046
http://www.vimeo.com/7780879
mundobravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:03 AM   #81
BMW Kurt OP
Bluesman

Lounging at the Lazy Lizard

While in Moab I have been staying at a hostel called the Lazy Lizard. It is a funky kind of place filled mostly with twenty somethings. I have a private room which is basically a plywood box for $26 a night. It is kind of cool to have others to talk to in the evening. If you are ever here I can recommend it. The Hilton, it ain't. But it is a good, cheap and interesting place to stay while in Moab.

The kitchen area where you can prepare your own food.

The common area with TV and Internet.

My room after three days here. (No housekeeping at this price!)

My room was the last on the end.

I'm resting up today and will be headed for Mexican Hat tomorrow.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #82
BMW Kurt OP
Bluesman

Mexican Hat, UT

I left Moab for the short 100 mile ride to Mexican Hat, UT. On the way I saw the Goosenecks and Mexican Hat Rock. The Mexican Hat Rock looks like an upside down sombrero and that is where this little town gets its name.

I am staying at the Mexican Hat Lodge. Neil Peart (the drummer from Rush) stayed here and wrote about it in his book Ghost Rider. It was also featured on Feasting on Asphalt with Alton Brown on the Food Network. It is not a cheap place to stay but it will be my one indulgence after a month on the road. The steak is cooked over a swinging grill. Tonight I will just have the hamburger steak but tomorrow I will go all out and have the New York strip.

Tomorrow I will go to Monument Valley.

BMW Kurt screwed with this post 04-23-2012 at 04:24 PM
Old 04-21-2012, 05:57 PM   #83
BMW Kurt OP
Bluesman

Monument Valley

Today I went to Monument Valley and while it was beautiful I must say I was disappointed. First of all due to deep sand it is not recommended that motorcycles drive the 17 mile scenic drive. I tried and had to turn around not only due to the sand, but a water truck had just wet the sand to keep the dust down. The result was like trying to ride on the beach. I almost dropped the bike twice and decided to turn around. I did get a few pictures, though.

I still had some time so I decided to ride over to the Four Corners Monument. I had been there two years earlier but it was closed for "maintenance". I have since learned that the marker was misplaced by more than one hundred feet. Again I was disappointed. The "monument" is surrounded by what is basically a tribal flea market. Navajos selling jewelry and souvenirs.

Oh well, tomorrow I will head north towards Idaho.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:00 PM   #84
BMW Kurt OP
Bluesman

Nevada

Today I rode more than 500 miles through nowhere. I did see some beautiful scenery.

I made it to Ely, NV which is one end of the Lonliest Road In America. That is what I am going to do tomorrow. I first heard of this road while reading Neil Peart's Ghost Rider. I still have 24 days or so out here to toodle around before the Overland Expo. I'm thinking of heading for Oregon, Washington and Idaho while I'm out here. Are there any ADV events happening out here in the next three weeks??

BMW Kurt screwed with this post 04-22-2012 at 06:38 PM
Old 04-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #85
BMW Kurt OP
Bluesman

Loneliest Road In America

Not much to report today. I rode the Loneliest Road in America, Highway 50 through northern Nevada. It was, well, lonely. Miles and mile of nobody. I stopped for gas in Eureka. Cost: $4.55/gallon!

Later, somewhere between Eureka and Austin, I snapped this photo. Does anyone know where I go the idea for this photo?

Old 04-24-2012, 04:24 AM   #86
Phattyre-Phready2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Nice report... short but sweet!

I guess Forrest Gump.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:31 PM   #87
BMW Kurt OP
Bluesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phattyre-Phready2 View Post
I guess Forrest Gump.
Nope!
Old 04-24-2012, 05:14 PM   #88
BMW Kurt OP
Bluesman

Donner Party

Before leaving Fernley, NV I met and spoke with the guy that had the motel room next to me. He was Dave "Skinner" Collins. He is a "Cowboy Cook" and he gave me an autographed copy of his Dutch Oven cookbook.

I left Fernley, NV and rode through Reno into Truckee, CA. Just outside Truckee is the campsite of the infamous Donner Party. The pioneers were caught by an early snow storm in the Sierras and had to spend the winter here. After the food ran out most believe they resorted to cannibalism.

Ironically the site is a picnic area today!

After that I began heading north. I made it into Oregon and found a cheap motel where I will spend two nights giving my butt a rest!

BMW Kurt screwed with this post 04-24-2012 at 05:55 PM
Old 04-26-2012, 01:33 PM   #89
BMW Kurt OP
Bluesman

Still in Lakeview, OR

I am stuck in Lakeview, OR due to the weather. I don't really have anywhere I am supposed to be so there is no reason for me to ride in the rain and snow. I am going to stay here another night and hopefully the weather will clear and be a little warmer tomorrow.

First I had heavy rain this morning.

Then it began to snow!

Old 04-26-2012, 05:52 PM   #90
gs211
Adventurer wannabe!!

Oddometer: 63
The weather you're having is the typical welcome to Oregon!! Question, where did you get the stickers of the states on your top box? Did they come as a set or individually? Looking forward to more of your RR!!!
gs211 is offline   Reply With Quote