Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #121
BMW Kurt OP
Picture Taker

Oddometer: 10,080
No pics today, but I am in Needles, CA until Monday. Then I will be headed for Flagstaff and the Overland Expo!
Old 05-11-2012, 03:36 PM   #122
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,312
nice ride!
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #123
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Hello there! your trip seems to be going well except for the final drive. Didn't think it could cost that much but oh well I guess. Liking the pictures you have taken so far. Some of those places are places that I have been wanting to go but have to plan a trip because living here in Florida I am pretty far from it. Keep enjoying the trip man and keep us posted. Many of us keep up with your updates but don't post much.

Later
John
Eagletalon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:02 PM   #124
BMW Kurt OP
Picture Taker

Needles, CA

I spent the day in Needles and decided to go "downtown" and check it out. I wanted to go early before it got too hot. Here is a pic of the thermometer at 9:30 AM.

This town's main claim to fame, besides being the hottest climate in the US, is that it was a prominent stop on the Historic Route 66 and the railroad running east and west.

I-40 has replaced Route 66 as the main road hear and Needles has become a place to get gas (if you can afford it).

At one time the railroad stop here a a grand hotel called the El Garces. Today it is being renovated and they hope to use it as a tourist attraction one day.

Usually the hotel site is closed but today there was a National Train Days Festival going on and the site was open to the public.

What more fitting way to celebrate National Train Days than to stand on the balcony of a historic grand hotel and watch a train pull into the station?

I'll be staying here again tomorrow and then on to Flagstaff Monday.

BMW Kurt screwed with this post 05-12-2012 at 01:23 PM
BMW Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:06 PM   #125
BMW Kurt OP
Picture Taker

Flagstaff, AZ

No pics today, but I am in Flagstaff, AZ waiting for the Overland Expo to start on Thursday. Till then I'm just gonna sit in my Motel 6 watch TV, write, read, and drink beer.

I hope to have some good pictures from the Overland Expo. Stay tuned!
Old 05-15-2012, 07:11 AM   #126
WRC51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Thanks for the video of the train pulling into the station, too cool. When I lived in the Bay Area there where trains everwhere, I didnt realize just how much I miss them since moving up North.(No train service in these parts). Looking forward to the Overland report as I would like to attend one in the furture.
WRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:34 AM   #127
BMW Kurt OP
Picture Taker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRC51 View Post
Thanks for the video of the train pulling into the station, too cool. When I lived in the Bay Area there where trains everwhere, I didnt realize just how much I miss them since moving up North.(No train service in these parts). Looking forward to the Overland report as I would like to attend one in the furture.
You're welcome! I, too, am a railfan. I lived in Germany for about 9 years and rode the trains a lot. With air travel being so much fun (sarcasm) I think rail is really something this country should look into.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:27 PM   #128
red bud
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 5,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Kurt View Post

I'm back on the road! This is my old final drive. The part in front is the part that failed.

This part wobbling also caused damage to the brake rotor.

Parts, labor, and CA taxes... $3100

ya know ya coulda pushed that thing off in a ditch and bought a airhead for that kinda money

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:18 PM   #129
BMW Kurt OP
Picture Taker

Quote:
Originally Posted by red bud View Post
ya know ya coulda pushed that thing off in a ditch and bought a airhead for that kinda money

I've got a perfectly good airhead sitting in the garage at home.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:20 PM   #130
BMW Kurt OP
Picture Taker

Just to let everyone know. BMW is going to refund the money I spent having the final drive bearings replaced at home before I left on this trip. That's $510. Not a full warranty, but better than nothing.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:29 PM   #131
BMW Kurt OP
Picture Taker

Overland Expo is over. I am tired. I will post more tomorrow, but for now I am in San Diego waiting for the frau to arrive on Tuesday.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:00 AM   #132
BMW Kurt OP
Picture Taker

Overland Expo

I have spent the last three days at the Overland Expo in Mormon Lake, AZ. This is an event that brings overlanders from around the world together to see the latest in adventure travel technology, equipment and happenings. While there I got to meet and chat a little with some of my heroes.

Ted Simon

Rene Cormier

Ben Slavin

Tiffany Coates

I also got to see some fantastic machines. This is a bike that has run in the Dakar and its road book.

Not all of the equipment was two wheeled. As a matter of fact I got the feeling that motorcycles were an afterthought at this event. There would not have been many bikes there had it not been for the Rawhyde event that was held concurrently.

They had the bikes camping in the horse staging area of the rodeo grounds. All my equipment still smells like horse shit.

Now here is something I can actually afford and it suits my travel style.

You can get anything you want/need at the Dakar Bar!

Having seen everything a few times over the weekend I left Sunday morning for San Diego. I rode close to the fires that are currently burning in Arizona and rode through a lot of smoke.

I rode back through the Mojave Desert and it was like sitting in a sauna with someone pointing a hair dryer in your face. HOT!

After arriving in San Diego I took a much needed shower (even I smelled like horse shit). As far as I know there were only two showers at the Expo for about 4000 people. I did not get to make use of the facilities for three days. I called my son and he and my granddaughter came over and we got to have dinner together. This was the first time I had seen family in over two months. It was also the first time I had ridden in an automobile in more than two months!

My frau is flying in tomorrow and we will be heading to the Grand Canyon (in a rental car) after turning the bike into San Diego BMW for some much need servicing.

BMW Kurt screwed with this post 05-21-2012 at 08:40 AM
BMW Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #133
BELSTAFF
ADV NOMAD

Oddometer: 1,084
What ?

Ahhhh Jezze Kurt, & here I thought I was your hero

Man , you sure didn't waste much time getting to "Dago" from OX, no wonder you burn up final drives

After you, Hal, Mike & Robert took off I went back to the" horse stalls", and I was the only one left w/ a tent still up, so I thinks to myself " Damn its gonna be a lonesome nite, just me in the middle of five acres of iron pipe", so I pack up & headed home about 2 & made to Phoenix around 4:30.

Glad you made it safely to your destination keep me posted on your progress through Oklahoma & the impending storms back to the house OK,Good making your acquittance & talking to you --keep the rubber side down.

Jeff

Arizona OHV Ambassador
BELSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #134
BMW Kurt OP
Picture Taker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELSTAFF View Post
Ahhhh Jezze Kurt, & here I thought I was your hero

Man , you sure didn't waste much time getting to "Dago" from OX, no wonder you burn up final drives

After you, Hal, Mike & Robert took off I went back to the" horse stalls", and I was the only one left w/ a tent still up, so I thinks to myself " Damn its gonna be a lonesome nite, just me in the middle of five acres of iron pipe", so I pack up & headed home about 2 & made to Phoenix around 4:30.

Glad you made it safely to your destination keep me posted on your progress through Oklahoma & the impending storms back to the house OK,Good making your acquittance & talking to you --keep the rubber side down.

Jeff
Jeff,
Will do! The wife flew into San Diego and we are now on the road in a a rental car while my beloved BMW gets a full servicing at San Diego BMW. It's gonna feel good riding home with fresh oils, rubber and a new final drive!

We spent some time at Seaworld with my granddaughter (Pics later) and yesterday we saw the Grand Canyon. Today we are headed for Sedona. I will get this RR up-to-date soon. We are in Williams, AZ which is only about 40 miles from were the Expo was held. I'v come full circle in a week!
Old 05-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #135
ZONKR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by red bud View Post
i feel your pain,

somebody tell us again how dependable bmw 's are??

Be glad to. My '05 R1200GS has 108,000+ on the original clutch and final drive and has never stranded me.
BMWMOA 116478
ZONKR is offline   Reply With Quote