User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2012, 12:30 PM   #1
masterbrewer OP
TDMster

Oddometer: 2,504
"Zig Zagging the Sth Aussie Tothill Ranges along a Dotted Line" - The Sequel

This ride has been on the bucket list for several years now & after our rained out attempt in February 2012 where we were forced to change direction & head east to Morgan for drier tracks, my fourth attempt of this ride is finally becoming a reality despite more unseasonal midweek downpours in the clay soiled area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterbrewer View Post

Following on from here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=5651

I'm finally hoping to experience the "vibes" of the Port Henry Arms Hotel where .....

" the usual drunken mob of bullockies also known as "early adventure riders" were playing cards, drinking, swearing, fighting. So little were they trusted, that the landlord or landlady held the nobbler in one hand while they take money with the other! ... So much is the publican in the hands of these ruffians that they insist upon his rising at any hour of the night and satisfying their insatiable desire for drink. They were known, as a notoriously hard living, hard drinking and hard wenching group. They cussed, drank and womanised and in that order"

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm ......................................... sounds like another annual event I know.

I can't wait any longer ........ I'm planning my next ride to follow some dots on a map to join them

"Zig Zagging the Tothill Ranges along a Dotted Line" ..
......................... the sequel"

Saturday 17th March refer post #196 below
After "tweeking the route" due to recent heavy rain mid week, these are things you're unlikely to now see ..................

My plan is to ride NW of Gawler, zig zagging up through Stockyard Creek & easterly to the Grasshopper Roadhouse in Tarlee to catch up with a couple of riders at 9am. Then north west towards Salter Springs, Port Henry Hotel historical site & Halbury over some more "interesting tracks" .

With PeasantFarmer's generous offer of guidance from Halbury over some "TDM friendly" lesser known & private tracks en route to Hoyleton/Spring Gully, with a special tour of the old stone goods shed at Hoyleton, before heading into Sevenhill around 11.30am for brunch/lunch at The Little Red Grape Bakery adjacent the Sevenhill Pub.

After lunch I will be refueling at the Caltex just north up the road towards Clare and heading east through Dodgey's "Cow Country" to the Tothill Ranges & zig zagging the gaps in the ranges in a southerly direction & past Stockport and back into Gawler.

For you lot who have decided to follow me, your cornermen are gunna be busy

............................... and about 350+ kms under the belt, plus another 50+ for the southerners.

masterbrewer screwed with this post 03-17-2012 at 12:40 PM
masterbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
masterbrewer OP
TDMster

Fine & 28C ........ the weatherman said ............................................

Moving on 12 hours .........................................

Mounted the mighty TDM at 6.30 am & returned home 8 pm some 440kms on the odometer accumulated under clear blue skies for a change ................................ yes! ..............yes! ...............yes!

BUT ........................... ????? ................................ we didn't get to zig zag the Tothill Ranges yet again

However everyone seemed to enjoy the huge variety of tracks actually covered ................................. except one rider's machine ......... well maybe two

More exciting video action to come courtesy of Conman, emuoz, Claude ...................................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=-tb9bDRvezY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...q6bR3I4lYaeXnQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=cP_NQPKZFjU

masterbrewer screwed with this post 05-17-2012 at 04:30 PM
Old 03-18-2012, 03:27 AM   #3
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 5,203
Well, the weather was fine - not a cloud in the sky as the 21 participants met in Gawler...

Note the attempt to convince everyone that the sun was out.....

Random shots along the trails.....

Suddenly a DR experiences slow release of air from the back tyre so shadow riding from this author was required and the odd stop for some compressor action beefore breaking away from the crowd and heading to Sevenhill to change over the tube.......with some help..

"Just having a crack"
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:29 AM   #4
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

More random action.....

"Just having a crack"
Old 03-18-2012, 03:36 AM   #5
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Some sort of delay at the bakery waiting for MB and crew when they turn up about 45 mins late towing a Husky. Seems it hit something and then wouldn't start. Ended up working out that they have some KTM parts in them, but it still wouldn't start. Ended up being carted off to Peasant Farmer's place for Paul B to pick up later....

Meanwhile MB goes missing but is found nearby.....

Husky gets a bed for a while......

While I load up on some free fuel at the farm.....

and Paul L and Paul B get better acqainted.......

End result is that the Husky's ignition has sh*t itself and once it was trailered home it was fixed pretty easily.

Good day out guys.......thanks MB.

"Just having a crack"
Old 03-18-2012, 03:49 AM   #6
pops
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,530
This was worth the wait .

Cheers Ian
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:04 AM   #7
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

And he did it justice Pops......again!!

"Just having a crack"
Old 03-18-2012, 04:06 AM   #8
Desert Matt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
While I can't contribute any photos, I can at least say it was a great ride. It started well with a good chat with pheasant farmer waiting for the crew, only to find out we missed the 'sandpit' and the first casualty. From there we got to explore some great roads west of Main North road. this bought us to Seven hill for the long lunch experience. Other than riding there is not much better to do than lounge around a bakery and pub watching sewing machine owners scratch their heads.
After the long lunch a more streamlined team heads east to gallantly attempt to complete the quest to fall agonizing short of the promised ranges. A well recieved conciliation was a blast down Taylor's Run, where LC4nicator popped his ADV crash cherry discovering big bikes aren't as nimble as enduro bikes on off camber corners.
All around a good way to spend a beautiful Autumn day with a top group of blokes. Thank MB and all the other behind the scenes guys, especially Chewy for living up to his name and chewing dust all day as sweep!
Desert Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:44 AM   #9
LC4nicator
Certified Wino

Oddometer: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Matt View Post
down Taylor's Run, where LC4nicator popped his ADV crash cherry discovering big bikes aren't as nimble as enduro bikes on off camber corners.
Yep.......and not a DRTrev Camera in sight.
Never mind though Trev.....didn't want you missing out so here's a snippet!
LC4nicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:49 AM   #10
masterbrewer OP
TDMster

It's never nice

Old 03-18-2012, 05:00 AM   #11
KevS69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC4nicator View Post
Yep.......and not a DRTrev Camera in sight.
Never mind though Trev.....didn't want you missing out so here's a snippet!
Oh shit Mate, hope not too much damage to man or machine?

KevS69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:14 AM   #12
PeasantFarmer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Hmmm bummer.

It looks like I might as well leave the trailer hooked up when these rides are held.

It was my first outing with the Safari tank on and the added weight, along with my lack of talent, gave me a couple of moments today.

Thanks MB & co. Good fun.

I can throw in another loop of local roads and different paddocks another time if it suits.
PeasantFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:15 PM   #13
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Con.......WTF!!!!!!!!

There we were talking about the pristine ADV bike and you turn it into a moto crosser as soon as my back's turned. Hope you're both okay....just in case the bike's got any scratches, here's what it looked like early yesterday....

Forgot to mention that not long into the ride yesterday, Con stops and checks his air pressures because the bike's not cruising the way he wants......very concerned he was.

10 minutes later whilst I'm trying to guide the Tenere through some soft and long stretches of sand, and doing alright I thought, the 640 screams passed me with Con yahooing as he tore up the terrain........I guess it was always going to happen.

"Just having a crack"

Aussie Trev screwed with this post 03-18-2012 at 12:29 PM
Old 03-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #14
LC4nicator
Certified Wino

Oddometer: 451
I dunno Trev........I guess it's an Ariel thing.... Sand = Wide Open Throttle

Initially horrified at the sight of the orange beastie just lying there, wondering how much a new tank & light setup was going to cost.
After (considerable effort) picking up & inspecting, just a couple of 2mm paint chips and that was it!
Tough buggers those Orange Austrians......Those crash bars were also a godsend....well done Hepco Becker!....plus, I do have friends in high places! HaHaha!

It was the only time I let the sweep go past whilst I was filming and I was wringing the guts out of it to catch up to the pack.....gotta rethink my cornering strategy I guess.

It'd be too easy to mention Husqvarna about now....sort of like shooting a cow in a paddock, fishin' for fish in a barrel....you know what I mean, and I wish to keep Stu as a friend so I'll abstain for now. HahaHa!.....HOWEVER!
That comment about KTM parts needs a retort!.......something I noticed on the Swedish marque's flank once disrobed.

I've got a lot of footage to edit so will need some time....all I can say though is the train line crossing will be well worth the wait!

LC4nicator screwed with this post 03-18-2012 at 03:26 PM
LC4nicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:32 PM   #15
barneyrubble
Aspiring overlander

Oddometer: 442
Big thanks to MB and Co for a top ride. Great mix of terrain and landscape. Thouroughly enjoyed it. Looking forward to more of the same in the future.
Also thanks to PeasantFarmer for access to your property and the additional trails.