User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
bigskyguy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Moving on up. I got ???'s

Hello AK'ers I will possibly be moving to Girdwood to take a job and have a few questions I hope you can help me with. I own a 2006 FZ1 that I ride quite a bit (weather permitting) here in Montana. My question is, should I try and sell/trade it here or wait till I get up there? What are your thoughts on switching to something more suitable for dirt? I have a bunch of years riding off road but am on the fence. How hard is it to street legal off road bikes in AK? It's a joke here in MT( you can street legal two stokes here). Is there much in the way of paved twisties near Girdwood/Anchorage or will I be better suited to ride dirt? I'm thinking XR or KTM. Is there much support for the orange up there or is it impossible to find parts? And finally, if I do decide to switch to dirt are any of you sitting on an extra knobby bike (street legal) that you would like to trade? Thanks a bunch in advance.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
friar mike
IronButtGruver

Oddometer: 4,909
Paved twisties around there? ya the one road between Anchorage and Girdwood
Good-Bad-Iam the guy with the gun "evil dead"
God's speed Rommel run free my dog
friar mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #3
ThatGuy
Brownie

Oddometer: 4,692
I started to write a whole neutral post but I realized I was wasting time; Sell the FZ1 and pick up a dual sport. You will thank me later. As for dealers; The Motorcycle Shop sells KTM stuff and there are Honda shops around as well.
Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.
ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,515
So you think you wanna be a Girdweirdian, eh? It's a lovely place. BIG trees. Know why they're so big? It rains a LOT! Summer and winter. What's your job gonna be?

I say keep the FZ and buy a dual sport for cheap either up here or down there.

Personally, I never tire of the Seward Hwy, a Designated Scenic Byway, between G'wood and Anch tho it can be full of slow moving vehicles at times and it's a double fine zone.

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:35 PM   #5
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
Sell Keep the FZ1 and pick up a dual sport.
Fixed.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:41 PM   #6
ADVBMR
Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer: 835
Most of the riding here is on pavement. The Seward Highway between Anchorage and Girdwood is a pleasant enough ride but it is not hooligan country. It's heavily patrolled and always full of traffic. I ride it a lot and just get in the groove with the flow of traffic at 55 - 65 mph and enjoy the ride. You've asked a tough question. If you want a more dirt friendly bike, you can sell the FZ-1 either there or here. There is some demand for the bike up here. There's a sweet KTM available if you look at the for sale thread in the Alaska Forum. Lots of folks on this forum ride GSs and KLRs, but we also have a granny who likes DRs so much she has two.
IBA #47244
2007 R1200GS; 2006 DL650 V-Strom; 2011 F800R; 2013 CRF250L; 1995 R1100GS (sold); 2006 Ducati Multistrada 620 dark (sold)
ADVBMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:53 PM   #7
ThatGuy
Brownie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
Fixed.
That was my original thought but the OP gives the impression he wasn't wanting multiple bikes.
Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:17 AM   #8
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
...the OP gives the impression he wasn't wanting multiple bikes.
If that is the case then it’s obviously flawed thinking.
Besides that....
[A] Do I care WTF he wants? Hell no. He don’t care what I want either.
[2] He ain’t gonna find much dirt to ride in this neck of the woods.

Probably miles of dirt to ride in Montana to say nothing of paved roads. We just don’t have much road here at all. I think he'd get more use from the FZ1 in any case.

Oh shit!
Quote:
Montana has 32,000 miles of logging roads and the Forest Service can only afford to maintain about 20% of them.
http://www.krtv.com/news/some-montan...ned-to-nature/

Alaska road....
Quote:
In 2009, Federal and State agencies, municipal governments and local communities reported 15,718 miles of public roads in Alaska. The 2009 Certified Public Road Mileage Report provides detailed summaries at:
http://www.dot.state.ak.us/FAQ.shtml#g
This must be just highways...
Quote:
According to the Alaska Department of Transportation, there are about 4,900 miles of paved roads in Alaska.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_miles_of_paved_roads_are_there_in_Alaska

Quote:
The State of Montana had total length of 69,567 miles of national and state highways, roads and streets in the year of 2006.

http://www.mapsofworld.com/usa/states/montana/montana-road-map.html

Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:26 AM   #9
ThatGuy
Brownie

Thanks for the lesson.......
Old 03-18-2012, 12:55 PM   #10
Rabon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskyguy View Post
Hello AK'ers I will possibly be moving to Girdwood to take a job and have a few questions I hope you can help me with. I own a 2006 FZ1 that I ride quite a bit (weather permitting) here in Montana. My question is, should I try and sell/trade it here or wait till I get up there? What are your thoughts on switching to something more suitable for dirt? I have a bunch of years riding off road but am on the fence. How hard is it to street legal off road bikes in AK? It's a joke here in MT( you can street legal two stokes here). Is there much in the way of paved twisties near Girdwood/Anchorage or will I be better suited to ride dirt? I'm thinking XR or KTM. Is there much support for the orange up there or is it impossible to find parts? And finally, if I do decide to switch to dirt are any of you sitting on an extra knobby bike (street legal) that you would like to trade? Thanks a bunch in advance.
I would keep what I have until you get here, ride a bit and then decide what you need. If you like big rain and big wind you will love Girdwood, the area is beautiful. I like all of the Seward Highway but like it best headed from Girdwood towards Seward with rides down the Hope cutoff as well as trips down the Kenai/Soldotna cutoff into Homer. Going towards Anch and continuing on thru you are fairly close to the Glen and Parks Highways which open up the rest of the State. I like the Parks Highway as well (if not more) than anywhere I have ever ridden.
With our highway conditions and weather conditions I like a large heavy bike with exceptional weather protection but only you can decide what works for you.
Rabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #11
bigskyguy OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the advice everyone. It's looking like I'll be flying in around April 15th for my final interview etc... Sounds like the skiing should be pretty good. 700 inches is hard to beat. I'm going to keep the FZ for now and see how it suits me. 65mph on the Seward might be a bit slow for my lack of patience but I'll try and keep it together so I don't loose my CDL . That 900 super enduro thats for sale up there is mighty tempting but for that kind of scratch it'd better be Volvo/penta powered, come with crab/shrimp pots, and have sleeping quarters. It would be great to meet up with some of you guys and go on some rides (assuming I get the job). I'll more than likely be batcheloring it for awhile before my wife comes up. Any of you guys bowhunters (rifle is cool too)? I'd love to try (thats "TRY") for a moose. Not too botherd by the rain having grown up in Bellingham, WA. I'm quite familiar with liquid sunshine. I worked on a seine boat out of Ketchikan and southeast so I am one with the Grundens and extra toughs. Looking forward to a new chapter and it sure will beat the hell out of shacking up in a man camp in Williston, North Dakota .
Old 03-19-2012, 06:00 AM   #12
GRIZ
COMMANDANT

Oddometer: 1,058
and it sure will beat the hell out of shacking up in a man camp in Williston, North Dakota .[/QUOTE]
BUT...NOT BY MUCH!!!
Old 03-19-2012, 06:27 AM   #13
The Dick
CFDVN/BRICK

Oddometer: 406
Ouch, the grizzly bear is out of hibernation and just a tad ornery!

Welcome to the first day of spring, ha ha.
The Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:00 AM   #14
bigskyguy OP
Adventurer

As a skier and mtn. biker AK will beat the Dakota's by 700 inches of snow and 3200 vertical. I'll take that over dust, wind, and rock carvings any day Holy crap, turf war and I haven't even moved yet. Telecommute turf war. Just messing about Griz (the only one left in the Dakota's it would seem). Thanks for the input. Gotta admit the Blackhills have some great riding and Williston wasn't a bad town (ahem) prior to all the holes being punched in it, but......the skiing sucks. Gore-tex vs. crude soaked carhartts. Lets get ready to rummmmbllle!
Old 03-19-2012, 10:32 AM   #15
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,004
We have had an unreal amount of snow in Girdweird this season. Ive got a pile of snow from plowing my driveway thats 25 feet high.

I'm bringing up a 990 Adventure and KTM 450 in the coming months so look me up this summer if you wind up here. A DS bike would for sure be more useful. If it were me, I would get rid of the F Zed and get a big dual sport. If youre tall enough, I would take a good hard look at the 950 SE thats for sale. The SE is crack on wheels, super fun bike. Some KTM parts are available here, but in many cases its easier to order them from the lower 48. The KTM dealer in Anchorage is not LC8 qualified so if you get one of the big twins, plan on doing your own work. For suspension tuning you pretty much have to ship to the lower 48 to have a good tuner work on your suspenders. Whatever you do, you will want some good rain gear. It rained just about every day last summer.

The troopers on the Seward hwy have about zero tolerance for speeding and in many sections the speed limit is 55 mph. As one post mentioned, its a double fine area, not cheap. They also frown on lane splitting here in AK, and its been a very hard habit for me to shake. I have the tickets to show for it. There are some great rides on the peninsula if it doesnt rain too much, but more suited to a dirt bike, and plan on big mud bogs. We have awesome mtn biking as well.

If you have any sleds you for sure want to bring them up, there is fantastic mountain and trail riding. You would probably want around a 137 trail sled and a 154 for the powder. I tried to do it all with one sled, but a longer track mountain sled will be in the livery by next winter.

All that said, Girdweird is a fantastic place to live. Its just weird and funky enough to give it some character and there's lots of nice friendly folks in town. The weirdos really come out of the woodwork during forest fair, possibly the best people watching event in all of Alaska.

crashmaster screwed with this post 03-19-2012 at 11:08 AM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote