Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2012, 11:05 PM   #31
RonS
Out there...

Oddometer: 19,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
The distributor should not move. While you are there see if it is mechanical advance and make sure the weights aren't rusted. Same for the carb linkage. Easy stuff first. When I bought my Shamrock she was stuck at 3600 and just would not get over that hump even after all the easy stuff including a full tuneup, carb rebuild, cleaning up the ignition advance weights and swapping the points for a breakerless ignition.

So I bought a timing light and found the timing was off by only 2 degrees (apparently set for a 351 rather than a 302). Believe it or not that 2 degrees made a huge difference. It immediately start turning almost the full rated rpm. If you have been turning the distributor it is probably off at least that much. After timing it correctly what finally got mine to rev all the way out was tracking down a tiny little vacuum leak in the PCV hoses.

Just do everything one step at a time and you will find the problem. But the exhaust issues, checking the advance weights and retiming it would be first on my to do list.
Second what Grreatdog says. The distributor should not move. Could very well be out of timing which would explain the problem. As he says, check to see that the weights are not rusted. Borrow a timing light and replace the cap, rotor, wires and plugs then time it.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:07 PM   #32
RonS
Out there...

Oddometer: 19,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
Played with it more this weekend. Timing was definitely way off. Retarded far enough at idle to be off the toothed reference thing (about 3" past it!). Turns out that a computer/scan tool is required to set timing properly, but I got it in the ballpark with a timing light, its around 10-12 deg at idle (complicated part is its supposed to be base of 8 plus whatever the computer wants to add to that, I can't disable the computer yet without the right software to set base, but I'm a lot closer now and will order the software Tuesday).

The timing change seems to have added a lot of power, but couldn't test very well as there was 3'+ chop in the bay and I was in danger of stuffing the bow under. I did manage to run it WOT for a very short way in following surf (rather exciting, now I want something with 6' of freeboard and a closed bow so I can play in the waves ) and saw 4100 rpm, so definite improvement and I think that a bit more distance, trim and less surf would have it revving out better still. It also jumped up on plane much more quickly than before, plus we had 2 more people on board.

Downside of fixing the timing is that now it idles at 1,100 rpm which makes no wake zones and docking a bit interesting. Idle is controlled by an idle air control valve and is not adjustable according to the manual. Linkage/cable and throttle stops are adjusted out so that they aren't holding the throttle bodies open. I'll see what the IAC is doing when I get the software and take it from there. maybe just some carbon holding it open, a vacuum leak or something.
Good news. Should have read further before my last post.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:56 AM   #33
BikePilot OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
No worries, thanks Ron!

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:56 AM   #34
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,105
So the old adage holds true:

"A boat is a hole in the water into which you throw money."

Nice cruiser though!
Old 03-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #35
freeflow
get in or go in

Oddometer: 15,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
Only boat owners hate money more than motorcycle owners.
I have a 36' sailboat, 5 bikes and 2 airplanes....I am an idiot ....toys that turn money into smoke and noise...
freeflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #36
Hardware02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW View Post
So the old adage holds true:

"A boat is a hole in the water into which you throw money."

Nice cruiser though!
...and...the two happiest days for a boat owner?

The day you buy the boat...and the day you sell it.

Hardware02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #37
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflow View Post
I have a 36' sailboat.... turn money into smoke and noise...
The hell is wrong with your sailboat?

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:53 PM   #38
Attico
Wrong way 'round

Oddometer: 1,832
....flash forward 3 years. Title reads "Finally sold the boat"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post

It's a 1995 Cobalt 272 with a 385hp fuel injected 454. Needs a little work, but price was right so I went for it. Drove it home to Apollo Beach from Treasure Island and enjoyed the cruise. It was owned by an older guy who generally kept it well maintained, but it does need a few items. Mostly his mechanic was not great so things that got "fixed" need to be re-fixed I've made a big list that should keep me busy for a weekend or ten

Must-do soon
  • Bilge pump, OEM pump not connected, small pump located too far farward instead (works, just doesn't get as much water out as quickly as I'd like)
  • Engine performance issue: doesn’t go past 3,600 rpm.
  • Silent Choice Exhaust, not connected. When connected left side stays open, the right stays closed. Haven't figured out which switch is supposed to control it.
  • Trim tabs inoperative, driver side seems to go up and down regardless of which switch is pushed
  • Horn doesn’t work
  • Replace or re-fill fire extinguishers (both read low, no sign of a fire, must have leaked down over the years)
Should do soon
  • Outdrive trim gauge doesn’t work (don't know if its the sending unit, wiring or gauge itself)
  • Outdrive trim switch on control lever only works to put outdrive down, have to use trailer switch to go up
  • Fiberglas engine cover cracked at rear
  • Clean out head enclosure (mildew), figure out how water and waste systems work, fix if/as needed
  • Repair a few small dings in gellcoat

Fix eventually
  • Interior lighting, several bulbs burnt out
  • Oil pressure gauge backlighting inoperative
  • Stereo/sound system, can't get it to turn-on
  • Clean bilge area, slimy from not getting totally dry after a rain

Upgrades/to purchase
  • GPS System
  • Marine Radio system
  • New or repaired covers (current covers have shrunk just enough that I can't get all the snaps snapped)
  • Full-boat cover
  • More life-vests so friends don't have to bring their own
Old 03-27-2012, 09:47 PM   #39
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
Nice looking boat!

Apollo Beach eh? I've spent a lot of time there. My grandparents moved there back in 1973 into one of the first condos in the area. My aunt still owns it, but doesn't go often as she lives in Texas.

For a GPS, I'd look for a Garmin 478. I have one on my bike, but they're actually marine plotters too.
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:28 AM   #40
Bun-bun
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
Congrats on the new toy.

+1 on the fixed mount VHF radio and 8' antenna. Marine version of ATGATT. Also, all VHF's now come with the ability to connect to a GPS, (Some come with a built-in GPS) and the ability to broadcast an emergency call with your position, (called MMSI) by pushing a button. Nice little safety feature.
1985 Honda XL600R - sold
Bun-bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:52 PM   #41
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,810
Enjoy the boat. I have had one for almost 20 years. A couple of years ago, I suggested that we did not use it enough, so we should sell it. My youngest almost started crying. She pointed out that it is paid for and someday, I could take grandchildren out with it. We did have some great family days with it.

Add some old CDs or DVDs to each corner of your boat lift. The constant flashing, twirling in the wind will keep many birds from using your boat as a latrine.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #42
blues
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 963
Hey Bike Pilot,

I've have been enjoying your story and am considering something similar when R-day arrives. We spent a lot of time in SW Florida this winter and the whole family is keen to go.

We saw a number of canal homes with 2 lifts. At first this seemed a little over the top but got to thinking a power boat and a shallow draft sailboat would be just the thing, like multiply motorcycles. Having read your tale I now understand that you need two boats because you are always working on one. Lol.

One serious thought though, and that is given the questionably service I'd go through it end to end and then you can be sure it was done properly. One thing I've found on both houses and motorcycles has been that most of the trouble has been related to work poorly done in the past.

Keep it going, interesting read.

Blues
blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:44 PM   #43
BikePilot OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
As an update the timing was wacky and I think it must have had a bunch of carbon build-up from the older old owner driving slowly. I set the timing (bolt holding the dist. was loose and it was flopping around) and it ran out to 4,500rpm (spec is 4,600-5000) in smoothish water and saw about 40mph. Ran it again in some big (for my boat) waves, bounced around a bit and bounced off the limiter a few times. Last time out it ran out to around 4,700-4,750 and 45-46mph which I think is probably just about right given the size/weight/power/prop combo. This was in about 2' chop. Still idles a bit high (1k rpm hot), but otherwise runs absolutely wonderfully. All the little stuff is coming along nicely and overall super happy with it and enjoying playing in the water.

Blues, lots of folks in my 'hood have a lift for a mid-sized power boat, a slip for a big boat (usually sail) and a little lift for a jet ski. I haven't seen many folks with two power boats unless one's really big and the other really small. No reason you couldn't go that route though. Eventually I'd like a big sail boat to go with the powerboat. Very happy with this powerboat, just about the right size for me, though I can't say I'd turn down a more off-shore oriented boat if one showed up on my lift:) I have had a couple of weekends where the water was too rough for my 27.5' boat.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:54 PM   #44
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #45
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,419
There is a slight chance I have seen that boat in the factory. Took a factory tour back in '95.
Nice boats, once owned a CS17 (smallest Cobalt).
Who would have thought that some of the best boats would be made in the middle of Kansas? In a building that was originally built as a baby shoe factory.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: