Oddometer: 1,009
Stay away from minivans.

BMW R1100RS
MotorradMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:27 AM   #17
anotherguy
Banned

Oddometer: 6,212
Well.......uhm..........errrr..................... ..........

anotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:35 AM   #18
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,455
Thumbs down Anything mini is gay! This is Americuh!!

I didn't read your story but IDC how fast your mini-van is, they are still lame!
Old 03-19-2012, 09:47 AM   #19
opmike
Choosing to be here.

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
Try a top gear roll on with one of those big diesel pickups on your literbike. Embarrassing.
Some of those big modded diesels are like bumblebees. They don't look like they have any business doing some of the things they are capable of.
"you want to fix the Pledge of Allegiance, put a disclaimer at the end: with liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states."
opmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #20
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Curvin View Post
Did you keep your head up and observe the convergence point?

I'm glad you got out of there in one piece. I've run across multiple minivans in the Del-Rio area with that same attitude. If I come up on them from behind they'll floor it to try and keep me behind them. I like to keep a safe distance but act like I'm trying to pass them. I'll move out like I'm going to pass (with no intention of doing so) approaching corners and giggle when they move into the left lane to block me. I can't tell you the number of times I've seen morons in minivans or trucks enter a completely blind left hander with their vehicle completely in the left lane. It's going to turn tragic one day for one of these mensa candidates.
Must be like a Walter Mitty syndrome, guy's pissed cause his wife made him buy a minivan...
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:11 PM   #21
FlySniper OP
Bleh...

Oddometer: 1,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Curvin View Post
Did you keep your head up and observe the convergence point?
You'd have been proud! I was hanging off, weighting the pegs... I hit something in one corner that made the rear step out and stay stepped out. Thought I was going down but I gassed it and stayed with it. I didn't think I could flat-track that thing on pavement! Amazing thing, fear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Curvin
I'm glad you got out of there in one piece. I've run across multiple minivans in the Del-Rio area with that same attitude. If I come up on them from behind they'll floor it to try and keep me behind them. I like to keep a safe distance but act like I'm trying to pass them. I'll move out like I'm going to pass (with no intention of doing so) approaching corners and giggle when they move into the left lane to block me. I can't tell you the number of times I've seen morons in minivans or trucks enter a completely blind left hander with their vehicle completely in the left lane. It's going to turn tragic one day for one of these mensa candidates.
Yep, I had a guy in a farm truck in front of me recently... same deal. I kept swerving out and gassing it like I was going to pass and he kept trying to block. I had him all over the place.

"Think about how stupid the average person is. Now, realise that half of them are dumber than that." - George Carlin
FlySniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:12 PM   #22
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
Quote:

Anyone that drops or throws something from a motorcycle is a spineless wimp that deserves to be run over IMHO.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #23
FlySniper OP
Bleh...

Oddometer: 1,662
Quote:

If those come in a magnetic, exploding variety then I'll take five dozen!

I already have a solenoid operated drop tube built......

"Think about how stupid the average person is. Now, realise that half of them are dumber than that." - George Carlin
FlySniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:20 PM   #24
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,858
this is why I practice (i.e illegal) get-aways. But I do it in reverse than what you did.

I let an on-coming, or fast car pass me and from a stand-still I try to see what it takes to catch them.

Do this enough (and don't get caught) and it will show you what you can do, but from the point of pulling out in front of slower or faster traffic.

PS. This post is not designed or designated solely to those that ride single track, trials or aggressive D/S. It's for street riders.

I know ADV likes to waive that flag but they are not the only demographic on this website...
Old 03-19-2012, 12:31 PM   #25
anotherguy
Banned

Oddometer: 6,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Anyone that drops or throws something from a motorcycle is a spineless wimp that deserves to be run over IMHO.

Well hell you're welcome to try. Dunno about Oregon but here in the hills many carry firearms and are well versed in their use. Not everyone so you could get lucky.

Now seriously even in the scenario portrayed above? really? Isn't that what the sleeve pocket on my Darien is for?
anotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #26
Alton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
This mentality scares the crap out of me and I see it way too often. Some dumbass, and he could be driving ANY kind of vehicle, has decided that he is an expert Rally car driver and gets pissed if anyone tries to pass him, or accidentally pulls out in front of him when he is barreling down the road. So he gets pissy and starts driving like a fucking lunatic just to prove how awesome he is. And in the process puts everyone around at risk.

Getting on the interstate last week in my wife's minivan, some asshole in a moderately fast car was puttering down the on ramp while talking on his phone. We get to the interstate and I pull around and pass him. Moments later there he is tailgating me like I just murdered his puppy. I mean really, how DARE I pass him in a minivan? Who the hell do I think I am?
Alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #27
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 32,505
I usually pull over and let the moron stomp out on the ground towards me cussing and shaking his fists...I ask if there is a problem and the driver goes into a rant abt my riding. I apologize up one way and down the other being as nice as I can be and usually the moron accepts the apology and drives on feeling like a jerk, hopefully. Luckly for me tho, no one has come at me with any intent to do bodily harm as I will respond with a armed response. Life is too short to worry or risk your life over a brief 30 second encounter of road rage
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:27 PM   #28
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
Quote:
Well hell you're welcome to try. Dunno about Oregon but here in the hills many carry firearms and are well versed in their use. Not everyone so you could get lucky.

Now seriously even in the scenario portrayed above? really? Isn't that what the sleeve pocket on my Darien is for?

Picking a fight with 4500 pounds of rolling steel it a STUPID fucking idea. gun or no gun.

He could have pulled over if he didn't want the van riding his ass. Edit (?)

DAKEZ screwed with this post 03-19-2012 at 09:48 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #29
cumminsblue92
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Try a top gear roll on with one of those big diesel pickups on your literbike. Embarrassing.
no kidding. I've been around a few trucks with some serious power, one in particular with close to 900 horses at the rear wheels. They will rock and roll.
cumminsblue92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:29 PM   #30
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,455
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cumminsblue92 View Post
no kidding. I've been around a few trucks with some serious power, one in particular with close to 900 horses at the rear wheels. They will rock and roll.
Whatever! I'll put my titles for everyone of my bikes up against any street legal POS Pickup! 7000lbs of 1930's tech for applying all that power to the ground! What a fucking joke! My F-350 has tons of upgrades and and a shitload of torque and HP which is wonderfull for pulling a forty foot fifth wheel with my bike trailer hooked up behind it! But a any twin 400cc and up could flat out smoke it in a 1/4 mile. Hell there are plenty of thumpers that could beat it and any other diesel pickup!