Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #31
lethe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by car94 View Post
Whatever! I'll put my titles for everyone of my bikes up against any street legal POS Pickup! 7000lbs of 1930's tech for applying all that power to the ground! What a fucking joke! My F-350 has tons of upgrades and and a shitload of torque and HP which is wonderfull for pulling a forty foot fifth wheel with my bike trailer hooked up behind it! But a any twin 400cc and up could flat out smoke it in a 1/4 mile. Hell there are plenty of thumpers that could beat it and any other diesel pickup!
Ummm, you might not want to take a bet like that
These look pretty extreme but from what I hear it's not hard to get a stock looking 4x4 diesel pickup into the 12s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUQ2rtm7axQ
lethe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #32
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,712
Quote:
Whatever! I'll put my titles for everyone of my bikes up against any street legal POS Pickup! 7000lbs of 1930's tech for applying all that power to the ground! What a fucking joke! My F-350 has tons of upgrades and and a shitload of torque and HP which is wonderfull for pulling a forty foot fifth wheel with my bike trailer hooked up behind it! But a any twin 400cc and up could flat out smoke it in a 1/4 mile. Hell there are plenty of thumpers that could beat it and any other diesel pickup!
I'd have to be sitting on the front fender for my DR to beat much more than a stock Civic to 60.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #33
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by lethe View Post
Ummm, you might not want to take a bet like that
These look pretty extreme but from what I hear it's not hard to get a stock looking 4x4 diesel pickup into the 12s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUQ2rtm7axQ
12's
Old 03-19-2012, 04:02 PM   #34
lethe
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
12's
yup, a two second search found an example while if you watched the other one, they tripped the light in the 10s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nca2wiFsR2Y

while 12s might not be super fast these days, it's faster than your 400cc example

Oh wait, you're the short shift guy, you can't be expected to know anything.

Ok then, movin' on
Old 03-19-2012, 04:08 PM   #35
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,177
The 10 second pass with the front tires lit up was fun to watch, but the rest of it was like watching grass grow! The 10s trucks are water and propane injected and you could not run them on the street!
Old 03-19-2012, 04:27 PM   #36
FlySniper OP
Bleh...

Oddometer: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Picking a fight with 4500 pounds of rolling steel it a STUPID fucking idea. gun or no gun.

He could have pulled over if he didn't want the van riding his ass.
So who picked the fight? Re read my original post. My mistake was misjudging the van's speed, but they had no need/reason to try and run me down. At times they were so close I could only see grill and headlights in my mirrors. You think I'm stupid enough to antagonize someone like that?

Don't you think I would have pulled to the side if I could have? I ride this road nearly everyday and know the turnouts, parking lots, wide shoulders, etc...(two small gravel parking lots and then either fences, trees or ditches... no shoulders at all) Had there been a safe exit I would have damn sure taken it. The few places I even considered diving into would have been suicide to attempt at even half the speed. There really aren't any places on this stretch of road. The only out I could come up with was the two 90 degree turns, even then I was just hoping to gain enough space to dodge into one of the parking lots near the end of the road.

I generally have some respect for your opinions on riding, but I think in this case you're more than a bit off the mark. A simple tailgater would have not been an issue, this one was just .... wild and agressive beyond anything I've seen. And I have little doubt they were considering hitting me, had they gotten beside me I'd have been run off the road for certain.

"Think about how stupid the average person is. Now, realise that half of them are dumber than that." - George Carlin
FlySniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #37
FlySniper OP
Bleh...

Oddometer: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by lethe View Post
yup, a two second search found an example while if you watched the other one, they tripped the light in the 10s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nca2wiFsR2Y

while 12s might not be super fast these days, it's faster than your 400cc example

Oh wait, you're the short shift guy, you can't be expected to know anything.

Ok then, movin' on
Running the 1/4 mile from a dead stop has nothing to do with starting a race at 70mph on a thumper that maxes out at 100 against something that will do 120 (at least).

Off the line I could take 98% of the cars on the road, but the higher the starting speed the less my advantage.

"Think about how stupid the average person is. Now, realise that half of them are dumber than that." - George Carlin
FlySniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #38
lethe
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySniper View Post
Running the 1/4 mile from a dead stop has nothing to do with starting a race at 70mph on a thumper that maxes out at 100 against something that will do 120 (at least).

Off the line I could take 98% of the cars on the road, but the higher the starting speed the less my advantage.
not throwing a knock your way as I totally get your point.
Just responding to the diesel truck tangent that came up.
You did all you could as the only way you could get an advantage was to rely on the (hopefully) poor handling of the minivan.
Hopefully next time you don't run into some wacko that dropped a van body on a tube chassis and can keep on your ass through the corner too!
Old 03-19-2012, 05:21 PM   #39
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
When I first saw the title I thought about one of the guys on the XLForum.

Wife said they had to get a minivan. Turns out, anywhere a 4.3 goes, a 5.7 will also fit. So he bought an Astro and put a nicely built 5.7 in it, LT-1 IIRC. Caught quite a few stoplight dragracers unawares.

OP has illustrated why I always carry when I ride.

And if Dakez thinks anything but the engine block on a cage will stop a bullet (even a wimpy lil 9mm) then maybe he should hop on over to the box o' truth.

I don't know what I would have done in that situation. Having ridden an 883 for awhile, I am familiar with having a bike that can't get out of its own way. Just because people don't drive them fast doesn't mean the cages aren't fast. Sounds like OP underestimated just what a minivan is capable of relative to his bike.

I also don't know the exact lay of the road in OP's situation. If I had adequate visibility and light traffic I think I would have pulled into the left lane, done a nice maximum braking force test (hopefully minivan goes shooting past), got back into the right lane, and slowed way down or even turned around and backtracked for a little while.

If Mr. Minivan attempts to follow, he has not only threatened my life with his vehicle he is resuming the pursuit when I attempted to de-escalate the situation. If he does attempt to follow, I would be thinking about finding a spot to pull over and maybe even what to use as cover, because now we've just crossed over into shitjustgotreal land.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:32 PM   #40
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 781
I've never had a problem taking a diesel truck from a light. A lot of Bubba's around here with chipped out diesel pickups with megaphone exhaust's big enough to hold a football. When I filter up to a red light, they want to make sure I don't get ahead of them, (it's an affront to their manhood). Mustang GT's and Z28's are a lot harder to beat, fortunately no Italian exotic supercars or Vette's around here, and the ones I do see aren't offended by lane-splitting. Diesel's are like HD's a lot of noise, a lot of torque, but not much HP! Oh and by the way, this is with a Wee-Strom, any true sportbike and it would be over in the blink of an eye.
khager is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #41
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by khager View Post
I've never had a problem taking a diesel truck from a light. A lot of Bubba's around here with chipped out diesel pickups with megaphone exhaust's big enough to hold a football. When I filter up to a red light, they want to make sure I don't get ahead of them, (it's an affront to their manhood). Mustang GT's and Z28's are a lot harder to beat, fortunately no Italian exotic supercars or Vette's around here, and the ones I do see aren't offended by lane-splitting. Diesel's are like HD's a lot of noise, a lot of torque, but not much HP! Oh and by the way, this is with a Wee-Strom, any true sportbike and it would be over in the blink of an eye.
...Mr. 3/4 ton truck driver, just because your mirrors stick 4' out the side of your truck so you can tow your toy hauler doesn't mean you need to whip 'em out when your bobtailing to work.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #42
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker View Post
...Mr. 3/4 ton truck driver, just because your mirrors stick 4' out the side of your truck so you can tow your toy hauler doesn't mean you need to whip 'em out when your bobtailing to work.

khager is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:51 PM   #43
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Curvin View Post
Did you keep your head up and observe the convergence point?

I'm glad you got out of there in one piece. I've run across multiple minivans in the Del-Rio area with that same attitude. If I come up on them from behind they'll floor it to try and keep me behind them. I like to keep a safe distance but act like I'm trying to pass them. I'll move out like I'm going to pass (with no intention of doing so) approaching corners and giggle when they move into the left lane to block me. I can't tell you the number of times I've seen morons in minivans or trucks enter a completely blind left hander with their vehicle completely in the left lane. It's going to turn tragic one day for one of these mensa candidates.
I had some F'n redneck do that to me last year but he waited until I was beside him and then proceeded to try and run me into the ditch. It was a rural unmarked road with a posted speed of 35mph in that area. He was doing 29 and I tried to pass on a long straight stretch.
I followed his ass home. As he pulled into his driveway I passed then turned around and confronted him right after he got out of the van.

I asked him, "why did you try to run me off the road?"

His response, "you're not supposed to pass on that road!"

OK, so since I am not supposed to pass(in his mind), he can run me off the road and possibly kill me. Got it!
I went to the Sheriff's office but they wouldn't do jack about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
He could have pulled over if he didn't want the van riding his ass.
He also could have been run over and there would have been no witnesses to the crime...

It's getting to the point where I have seriously thought about a GoPro for the bike, on a swivel.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #44
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySniper View Post
So who picked the fight? Re read my original post..
I was not actually addressing you or what you did or did not due... I was commenting to the poster that thinks it is wise to drop toss or throw things at tail-gaters.

I found your OP to be a great read. It was written well and I was picturing myself in your place. .
Old 03-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #45
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker View Post
And if Dakez thinks anything but the engine block on a cage will stop a bullet (even a wimpy lil 9mm) then maybe he should hop on over to the box o' truth.
I know what bullets will do. I also know that if I am driving and someone thinks it is a good idea to throw bits of steel or threaten me with a firearm they will be run down before they get a shot off.

It is all moot as I don’t drive a cage and nothing seems to be able to piss me off when I ride. I am actually grateful for the assholes on the road because they make my rides more interesting and engaging.

There are a certain number of sociopaths out there in the World that are just plain ass crazy and dangerous. It seems the OP found one of those.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 03-19-2012 at 08:51 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote