Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2012, 01:37 PM   #61
FlySniper OP
Bleh...

Oddometer: 1,638
Honestly? Once upon a time I would have turned around and been on the hunt as soon as I figured out they were no longer behind me.

Bluntly: Given the opportunity, I would have shot dead the driver and any passengers that gave me lip. I've done bad things with firearms in the past but never completely stepped over the line. This would have been the time that tipped the scales. I'd have been in jail and everything in my life would have wrecked.

While I think the fucker deserves a bullet, I don't want to be the one who gives it to him.

I no longer carry anything more than a pocket knife.

"Think about how stupid the average person is. Now, realise that half of them are dumber than that." - George Carlin
FlySniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:43 PM   #62
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,166
I don't ever expect anyone to be going the speed limit, because I don't. If there's a chance they're going over the speed limit, and there are no consequences of taking a 2 count to check approach speed, I'll do it. In the cars too. There's no reason not to. As you've illustrated, the consequences of not paying attention can be very messy.

I learned my lesson when a car that didn't have their headlights on hit me on my left side, and I still had to pay damages because, at the time, I simply thought I wasn't paying attention, and I didn't stop at the red light. I later figured out they didn't have their headlights on, but it was too late.

I do all that now, because of that.

Simply a statement of fact. It can be expensive and dangerous, but sometimes we learn this way.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #63
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySniper View Post
Honestly? Once upon a time I would have turned around and been on the hunt as soon as I figured out they were no longer behind me.

Bluntly: Given the opportunity, I would have shot dead the driver and any passengers that gave me lip. I've done bad things with firearms in the past but never completely stepped over the line. This would have been the time that tipped the scales. I'd have been in jail and everything in my life would have wrecked.

While I think the fucker deserves a bullet, I don't want to be the one who gives it to him.

I no longer carry anything more than a pocket knife.
I congratulate you on knowing and accepting your lack of restraint.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #64
cumminsblue92
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by lethe View Post
Ummm, you might not want to take a bet like that
These look pretty extreme but from what I hear it's not hard to get a stock looking 4x4 diesel pickup into the 12s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUQ2rtm7axQ
Ditto, there's common rail dodges, 4X4 running 9's...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zn7UfCe7Qg

1/4 mile
cumminsblue92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:16 PM   #65
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartmyNx View Post
Why? To make it (vehicular homicide/assault) easier on the "van" driver?
I have 49 147gr reasons not to assault me, and failing that a 2.5lb chunk of steel to wield as a club.

Pulling over and getting off the bike is so I can be in the best position to defend myself, which is a stationary supported firing position. The entire time I will be asking mr. minivan to get back in his van and threatening him with use of force if he continues to press the attack.

derek

Old 03-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #66
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker View Post
I have 49 147gr reasons not to assault me, and failing that a 2.5lb chunk of steel to wield as a club.

Pulling over and getting off the bike is so I can be in the best position to defend myself, which is a stationary supported firing position. The entire time I will be asking mr. minivan to get back in his van and threatening him with use of force if he continues to press the attack.
Between this thread and the "shot at" thread, it's obvious you have an enormous self defense gun chip on your shoulder, and are dying to show it off.

Here's to hoping I never meet you.
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #67
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
Between this thread and the "shot at" thread, it's obvious you have an enormous self defense gun chip on your shoulder, and are dying to show it off.
Me? No, I value my life. I also value my property. Your state's hatred of victims and coddling of criminals has allowed predators like Whitey Bulger to not only survive, but thrive.

From your participation in both threads, it obvious that you're a twat and skilled at showing it off.

derek

Old 03-21-2012, 04:23 AM   #68
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker View Post
Me? *No, I value my life. *I also value my property. *Your state's hatred of victims and coddling of criminals has allowed predators like Whitey Bulger to not only survive, but thrive.*

From your participation in both threads, it obvious that you're a twat and skilled at showing it off. *
Really? That's what you take away from this?

Here's a fucking news flash for you...

-I only live in this state because this is where my wife is...I moved here only recently because that's where she and her kids live, otherwise this state sucks ass. Take your judgement of me based on where I live and stick it straight up your defensive ass.

-I have nothing against guns...I will be applying for my LTC this summer. I only plan to carry concealed when I ride, mostly for defense against self proclaimed trigger happy fucks like you.

-I will not be bragging on ADV forum how I would be ready/willing/able to pull my piece and defend myself at the drop of a hat...I'm not looking for a reason to shoot someone, but your posts indicate that you certainly are.

Like I said, I hope to never meet you...ever. You sound like the kind of passive aggressive bully who never leaves the house without carrying, and is never afraid to tell people how willing you are to draw your weapon, and are always secretly hoping someone rubs you the wrong way so you can.

Have fun with that.
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:04 AM   #69
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,166
Leave it out.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:48 AM   #70
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,420
Quote:
-I only live in this state because this is where my wife is...I moved here only recently because that's where she and her kids live, otherwise this state sucks ass. Take your judgement of me based on where I live and stick it straight up your defensive ass.

-I have nothing against guns...I will be applying for my LTC this summer. I only plan to carry concealed when I ride, mostly for defense against self proclaimed trigger happy fucks like you.
Here.... Have some ice cream

Quote:
-I will not be bragging on ADV forum how I would be ready/willing/able to pull my piece and defend myself at the drop of a hat...I'm not looking for a reason to shoot someone, but your posts indicate that you certainly are.

I didn't get that vibe from his posts?

I do know what you are saying though. Some CCP owners prove themselves unworthy almost every time they open their mouths.

I knew one that shot himself in his ass when he was being all braggadocios about how fast he could draw his .380. When he asked for help to stop the bleeding one of his “friends” tossed him a box of tissues and said: Here sit on this shit for brains!”

DAKEZ screwed with this post 03-21-2012 at 11:53 AM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #71
Goggles Paisano
AKA Walter Mitty

Oddometer: 1,418
Man, this story hits home. I've been there too with a douche in a big ole red Dodge Ram 1500 4x4. Had to be two feet off my ass at 90 kms per hour on an 80k, two lane highway full of twists and turns. To get away from this douche, I wicked it up to double the limit as nothing I did got rid of him. I was watching him in the mirrors as he tried to catch up, didn't see the cruiser coming in the other direction.

Mr.Pickup turned off, I breathed a sigh of relief... until the cop( who had pulled a u turn) pulled my over. I almost lost my license and bike along with a $10,000 fine. I told the cop my story, he said he saw the pick up turn off. "Let me off" with a $130.00 performance award and three points on my license.

Fucking pick up owners, worst aggresive assholes on the road.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:40 PM   #72
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Quote:
Really? That's what you take away from this?

Here's a fucking news flash for you...

Like I said, I hope to never meet you...ever. You sound like the kind of passive aggressive bully who never leaves the house without carrying, and is never afraid to tell people how willing you are to draw your weapon, and are always secretly hoping someone rubs you the wrong way so you can.

Have fun with that.
So what part of "stopping and turning around to de-escalate the conflict" sounds like bullying? Or bragging?

Projecting a little bit are we?

I would never operate my vehicle on a public road without insurance, and no, I never leave home without "it."

Unlike you, I do not possess a crystal ball that tells me exactly when I'm going to need my weapon. If I did, I would just simplify my life by not going there. Once I know a road is an active smuggling route, I AVOID IT. I try to live as safely as my means allow and avoid residing in Crackdale, Tweakville, or Coyoteburg.

The people that get disarmed by predators are the ones that aren't ready. You have a duty to retreat in your state outside of the home, just as after the fact you must provide conclusive proof of your self defense claim and as far as I know, there is no civil immunity clause. If that doesn't scare you, it should. If I somehow found myself living there, I would go out armed with a large life insurance policy with my little girl as the beneficiary instead.

So most of the time, life-or-death situations take a long time to develop, right? If they do, and one does not have to be ready to act "at the drop of a hat" why not just call the police and let a trained professional acting under cover of law handle the situation?

My draw speed is pretty slow compared to most of the people I shoot with, honestly. I'm a bottom-third finisher in matches. I haven't been able to train as much as I would like to lately--between working 50 hour weeks and taking 14 hours of class this semester time is scarce. I practice shooting just as I practice riding. They are both skills that may someday save my life so why wouldn't I?

derek

Old 03-22-2012, 04:00 AM   #73
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
If you pull the gun you carry...

...are you willing to shoot an unarmed man?

I posted about an incident I had many years ago where I was chased down and cornered, and I had a pistol pulled on me by some guy I'd pulled out in front of whose speed I'd misjudged.
I was young, had a temper and his threatening my life sent me into a rage where I flipped the fuck out, disarmed the guy,knocked his ass out, took his keys and then threw his keys and gun into the river we were next to. (it all happend in the blink of an eye with no time to think)

In reality, the asshole was lucky I didn't use his own gun on him. (my situation was similar to the O.P.'s and I admit I'd made a mistake in judgement)

What I did wasn't the smartest thing and as soon as I realized that as I'd gotten down the road a few miles...I had to pull over as the adrenaline had worn off and I realized W.T.F. could have happend, had the guy shot me before I had the chance to disarm him.(I was actually shaking with panic/fear)
Hesitating to shoot me right away, was a mistake on his part and it could have cost him his life as well.

So, could you shoot an unarmed man?

I'll admit another thing here as well; that incident changed the way I react to people and started my chilling out process, temper wise. (I realized my temper could have killed me that day) Now I'm older and smarter and don't let other people get the better of me.

My message to the guys that carry here is simple.
Don't pull out that gun unless you're willing to shoot your antagonist dead on the spot but, realize how fucked you'll be when it's found out he was unarmed.
Worse yet, if you aren't willing to shoot instantly, you risk the chance of being disarmed and shot by your own weapon.

Every time I read these posts and guys are touting that they carry...I think of a guy I ran into who thought it was wise for him to carry as well and how the situation could have turned out far worse than either of us gave thought to in that blink of an eye. (we both got lucky that day)

B.T.W. I've never had any formal self defense training of any kind to have enabled me to pull off what I did that day. Imagine running into a guy who has and you pull a gun on him.
Unarmed or not, you'd better be willing to shoot him the moment you pull that gun on him.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:14 AM   #74
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
About those minivans...

...and what makes you guys think no one buys a minivan because they want one.

When my car eventually explodes, I'm buying one of these.

http://carguideblog.com/13015/2012-d...dy-commercial/

283 HP. 260 ftlbs of torque and a heavy duty suspension that will allow it to handle like it's on rails with a few little tweeks. (and little round moon windows in the rear side panels will look really cool)

I'm actually a Wagon kind of guy but, since no one makes a wagon that's large enough with any balls these days...This is my next best option. (I live in the city and an unenclosed/non-alarmable open pick-up bed is NOT a viable option, and truck gas mileage sucks!)

So, if ya see a dark blue minivan comming down the road at you, don't pull out in front of it unless you want to race, as I enjoy driving as spiritedly as guys in a sports car. (just because I'm behind you doesn't meant I'm trying to run ya down)
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:39 AM   #75
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
.will allow it to handle like it's on rails

I suspect you don't quite know what "handling like it's on rails" feels like...

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is online now   Reply With Quote