ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > EMEA
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-18-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
hadye OP
The Pharaoh
 
hadye's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Kuwait
Oddometer: 85
European Bike Week Faaker See 2012

Hi all,

This is my first thread here as probably this is the first adventure ride I am going on & I am really excited. I am Egyptian & living in Kuwait. My bike is Night Rod Special from HD 2008. Me & my group are currently preparing for an adventure ride starting from UK where we will ship our bike, hitting down to Folkestone & taking the Eurotunnel to Calais, France. We are thinking of going through Belgium to Frankfurt then hitting south for Faker See where we are going to spend 3 nights & then hit for Venice in Italy. From there we are thinking of having a ride through Alps in Switzerland & entering France back to Calais from where we came.

This is the story in short, which we allocated 2 weeks for doing this. We are a group of 14 bikes & 16 passenger. I hope that I can benefit from your experience in making this the trip of our lives. Not interested so much in big cities but of course scenery is what we are missing here in Kuwait. We are all experienced riders that need challenging twisties and breath taking scenes.

I am waiting for your recommendations

Thanks in advance

Hadye
hadye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:58 AM   #2
hadye OP
The Pharaoh
 
hadye's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Kuwait
Oddometer: 85
the secret behind NO response is HD?
hadye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:50 AM   #3
alicethomas
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Palatinate, Germany
Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadye View Post
We are all experienced riders that need challenging twisties and breath taking scenes.
I am waiting for your recommendations
Roßfeld-Höhenringstrasse (#999), 1000m above the valley and the mountains even 1000m higher, very near the usual highway to the Faaker See:
http://maps.google.de/maps?saddr=cal...=h&mra=ls&z=13
Website: http://www.rossfeldpanoramastrasse.de/
Not very expensive and still acceptable during standard weather.

A slight detour to the famous Großglockner-Hochalpenstrasse (#107):
http://maps.google.de/maps?saddr=cal...=h&mra=ls&z=10
Website: http://www.grossglockner.at/
Very expensive and you should have very good weather to enjoy the scenery (top road altitude 2571m, often foggy).

There are some lovely landscapes in the lowlands too, but imho nothing compares to the stunning mountains with their glaciers.

On your way back you can choose south or north side of the Alps according to the actual weather. It's often raining on one side and blue sky on the other.

alicethomas screwed with this post 03-20-2012 at 04:02 AM
alicethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:17 AM   #4
hadye OP
The Pharaoh
 
hadye's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Kuwait
Oddometer: 85
Thanks for your posts, it is really helpful. But i found trouble in putting some of them in GPS may be because I am not familiar with names.

I will be staying in this hotel :
Hotel Drauhof, Fröger Weg 8, 9232 Rosegg, Österreich, & from there will go for these near rides around Faaker See

Thanks again
hadye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
hadye OP
The Pharaoh
 
hadye's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Kuwait
Oddometer: 85
Temperature range

A point that worry me, is the weather. What temperature range should we expect from September 1st till 15th? I know that weather cannot be expected nor rain, my wife has a low threshold for any "cold" feeling, should I get ready with some more than usual riding gear. I expect that we will ride on some elevated areas like in Austria or Switzerland

Need advise from riders living in these areas

Thanks
hadye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:21 AM   #6
alicethomas
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Palatinate, Germany
Oddometer: 425
In September you may experience a "hot" +30°C summer (hot for locals) or +5°C (and to the extreme snow!) even in the plains.
In the mountains the weather will be more extreme. Bright sun shining through thin atmosphere and sub-zero temperatures every night.
And any low-pressure area might bring snow.
This is a common September day (01.09.2010) at 2180m altitude after a low and just reopened road (after avalanches):

Riding the Großglockner-Hochalpenstrasse you will see snow and glaciers. And you can touch them, if you want.
But that's exactly why you are going into the mountains, isn't it!?

alicethomas screwed with this post 03-28-2012 at 01:29 AM
alicethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:44 AM   #7
hadye OP
The Pharaoh
 
hadye's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Kuwait
Oddometer: 85
So a heated gear is a must for my wife. That's what I am thinking, but this shall be during our stay in Faaker See for the bike show. We will have two or three rides through the mountain. Other than that, I was asking about the temperature ranges that I would expect passing through Belgium France Germany & Italy
hadye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:58 AM   #8
hadye OP
The Pharaoh
 
hadye's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Kuwait
Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicethomas View Post
In September you may experience a "hot" +30°C summer (hot for locals) or +5°C (and to the extreme snow!) even in the plains.
In the mountains the weather will be more extreme. Bright sun shining through thin atmosphere and sub-zero temperatures every night.
And any low-pressure area might bring snow.
This is a common September day (01.09.2010) at 2180m altitude after a low and just reopened road (after avalanches):

Riding the Großglockner-Hochalpenstrasse you will see snow and glaciers. And you can touch them, if you want.
But that's exactly why you are going into the mountains, isn't it!?
Nice picture by the way
hadye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:01 AM   #9
Direktor
Studly Adventurer
 
Direktor's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Karlovac, Croatia
Oddometer: 548
Maybe can I help you a little bit. I am not going to put you GPS routes or details, you can search this from internet, hope you have a free time to do this
If you end point is Faaker See, here are my suggestions. I have been every year on this event since 2009, so 3 days are more then enought to see all. My plan is always that we (me and my colegues) are doing some tours in the morning and afternoon and then hit Faaker See events in the evening up to deep night.
Last year (2011) we were situated here:
http://www.fewo-schiller.at/fewoschiller2011/
Very nice, quiet place with place for barbecue and about 10 km from HD event (so you need maybe 10 up to 15 minutes to reach lake). Price was about 20-25 EUR per night (without breakfast). I am not sure are you looking cheap are expensive places? Always you can find a +100 EUR five star hotel
Otherwise you can put tent on same of camping places near Fakeer see.
Places to visit:
My suggestion (must see places) are for sure Apls Passes. Here you can find list of passes
http://www.alpineroads.com/
There are so many passes, but closest to Fakeer lake are:
Vrsic pass (in Slowenia)
Würzenpass (Slowenia/Austria border)

About wheather
As alicethomas already write, in September temperature can be +30°C and you can expect maybe some rains. I usually wear leather suit which is I think more that enought for this ride.
If you need more information just send me PM.
Have a nice are safe ride!
Ivica
__________________
Croatia - A small country for a great vacation!
Direktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:50 AM   #10
hadye OP
The Pharaoh
 
hadye's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Kuwait
Oddometer: 85
Thank you for your help & your links my friend, at first we thought of spending 3 days at Faaker See & then hit for Croatia & Dubrovnik but we found that it will be a long way & will make our schedule tight so we preferred to spend the 5 days there. We have the same plan as you said on having different rides in the morning & afternoon & then go for night life in Faaker See.

Our hotel is situated on the other side in Rossegg area, & about the same budget. Thanks for your suggestions. I will definitely look in Alpine roads. It has alot of interesting passes. I will check the heights & check what we shall need as riding gear accordingly

We are a group of 16 bikes so we will have to settle on our routes or I will skip them & hit to these magnificent sceneries with my wife

Thanks again, if you remember any thing don't forget about me.
hadye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:30 AM   #11
alicethomas
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Palatinate, Germany
Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadye View Post
So a heated gear is a must for my wife.
I don't think so. We may use heated gear when driving on snow mobiles to the poles. Much too expensive for common motorcycling.
Use several (!) layers of clothing and wind protection (rainsuit may do too!) and take a good thermos jug with hot tea.
You won't experience double-digit subzero temperatures - as we do every winter - and ride all day as long as petrol stays liquid.
alicethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:22 AM   #12
hadye OP
The Pharaoh
 
hadye's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Kuwait
Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicethomas View Post
and ride all day as long as petrol stays liquid.
I am sure I will do
hadye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:39 AM   #13
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer
 
RTLover's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: West-central France
Oddometer: 3,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadye View Post
Thank you for your help & your links my friend, at first we thought of spending 3 days at Faaker See & then hit for Croatia & Dubrovnik but we found that it will be a long way & will make our schedule tight so we preferred to spend the 5 days there. We have the same plan as you said on having different rides in the morning & afternoon & then go for night life in Faaker See.

Our hotel is situated on the other side in Rossegg area, & about the same budget. Thanks for your suggestions. I will definitely look in Alpine roads. It has alot of interesting passes. I will check the heights & check what we shall need as riding gear accordingly

We are a group of 16 bikes so we will have to settle on our routes or I will skip them & hit to these magnificent sceneries with my wife

Thanks again, if you remember any thing don't forget about me.
With a big group, you'll probably not ride great distances each day so I'd recommend you not try to go further south than the Alps, which will already be a long hike from the UK.

Alicethomas is spot on. September is the beginning of the changeover from summer to fall so expect some significant variations of temperature. That said, my first ride in the Alps was in September so I wore my rainproof gear and the temperatures never went below 25, even at altitude!

I know that more and more riders depend on their GPS, but in my opinion you're better off with good maps in your situation. That way, you can just look at the map and chose a destination. GPS isn't good at determining which roads are the best, but you can once you get on them.

Just a tiny correction on your English, which is excellent, BTW. You use the word 'hit' where I think you probably mean 'head' as in 'we'll head toward the Alps'.
__________________
R1200RT
RTLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:57 AM   #14
hadye OP
The Pharaoh
 
hadye's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Kuwait
Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTLover View Post
With a big group, you'll probably not ride great distances each day so I'd recommend you not try to go further south than the Alps, which will already be a long hike from the UK.
definitely I agree with on this, well our plan for now is to try to reach Mannheim, Germany in the first day which is more than 700 Km, between me & you I find it very long distance especially after a flying trip from Kuwait to London. We have still time to discuss with our Road captain & the safety officers & see what decision to settle on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTLover View Post
Alicethomas is spot on. September is the beginning of the changeover from summer to fall so expect some significant variations of temperature. That said, my first ride in the Alps was in September so I wore my rainproof gear and the temperatures never went below 25, even at altitude!
For me, it wouldn't be a problem but I noticed that there is a hell of a difference between my wife's threshold & mine. Our last trip she was extremely cold & for me the weather was chilly putting in mind that I don't have a windshield on my bike (but I will install one for this trip). As said I was thinking of using multiple layers especially base & thermal ones because frankly, don't want anything to spoil this trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTLover View Post
I know that more and more riders depend on their GPS, but in my opinion you're better off with good maps in your situation. That way, you can just look at the map and chose a destination. GPS isn't good at determining which roads are the best, but you can once you get on them.
That was put into our consideration, we are planing our trip depending on paper maps & then designing our route & installing it on GPS rather than following the routes suggested by GPS directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTLover View Post
Just a tiny correction on your English, which is excellent, BTW. You use the word 'hit' where I think you probably mean 'head' as in 'we'll head toward the Alps'.
Thanks for both the compliment & the correction, am Egyptian so English is my second language & you are right , going back & looking on my post , it looks silly

Keep these suggestions coming , I really benefit from expert guys like you
hadye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:21 AM   #15
alicethomas
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Palatinate, Germany
Oddometer: 425
Mannheim!? There is my office.
Ok, then I have some suggestions for your trip (2 full days if you visit everything):
http://maps.google.de/maps?saddr=L15...ia=4,6&t=m&z=7
Castle Heidelberg (Point B)
http://www.schloss-heidelberg.de/en/...me/267923.html
Motorcycle museum (C)
http://www.zweirad-museum.de/zweirad...ad-museum.html
and/or Technical museum (D)
http://sinsheim.technik-museum.de/en
Altmühltal+Konstein (very lovely scenery with many small rocks) (E) (lodging - bred&breakfast)
http://www.naturpark-altmuehltal.de/en/
Berchtesgadener Alpen with Königssee (F) and Roßfeld-Höhenringstrasse (G)
http://www.koenigssee.com/en/

And another day to Faaker See, route depending on weather.

You have a safety officer!? There are no bullets flying around here. Middle Europe is very safe.

alicethomas screwed with this post 03-29-2012 at 05:26 AM
alicethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014