Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #196
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen View Post
Have to say I like it

Robby is a showman as well as being a racer. Who cares whose money he is spending or who runs the team ?

My main Dakar interest is on the bike side and the for me the cars only feature in the background. But the bits that stand out are stuff like the Hummer coming down that big sand dune into the bivouac and Robby's start ramp showboating. Some would call that sort of behaviour unprofessional but to me it stuck in my memory. As did the names of Robby's sponsors ......................

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
Old 12-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #197
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Get a grip
I have a Grip !!!!!
it is on my F5 button !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #198
SafariBerg OP
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,933
Not a fan at all of Mr Gordon, he is a massive loose cannon

At the La Serena bivouac 2009 Dakar he came horribly close to killing one of our crew with his cowboy antics by driving through our pit area and square over the persons swag which they had vacated less than 60sec beforehand

Old 12-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #199
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
Oh shit, that's childish.
Some people eat roasted quail, in a white wine reduction sauce with a side of balsamic vinagre pan seared asparagus with a flute of dom perignon.

Other eat MF yard bird.

They're both fun to watch, and much more fun to talk f5hit.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #200
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
[B]via Dakar.com
The “rebel” will be flanked by his co-pilot in 2011, Kellon Walch. But with the sheer amount of buggies and 4x4s capable of competing at the highest possible level, places on the podium carry an even higher price tag!
1st I've seen Walsh's name since he crashed and lost his spot to Gridder.
Good to see him back at the Dakar. Too bad he's not on a bike.

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
Old 12-06-2012, 02:46 PM   #201
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,510
and 2nd?
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:53 PM   #202
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
and 2nd?
sorry, Walch.

...and 2nd? What?

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
Old 12-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #203
Tork
Pinsetter

Oddometer: 3,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebble35 View Post
Have to say I like it

Robby is a showman as well as being a racer. Who cares whose money he is spending or who runs the team ?

My main Dakar interest is on the bike side and the for me the cars only feature in the background. But the bits that stand out are stuff like the Hummer coming down that big sand dune into the bivouac and Robby's start ramp showboating. Some would call that sort of behaviour unprofessional but to me it stuck in my memory. As did the names of Robby's sponsors ......................
+1
Also , Go Lyndon , Go!!!!!!!
Old 12-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #204
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariBerg View Post
Not a fan at all of Mr Gordon, he is a massive loose cannon

At the La Serena bivouac 2009 Dakar he came horribly close to killing one of our crew with his cowboy antics by driving through our pit area and square over the persons swag which they had vacated less than 60sec beforehand

I have to go with this too, but lets face it Peterhansel is being a bit of a girl too. The fact that he even rises to the bait I think is hilarious.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:51 PM   #205
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,410
Wink I smell a good ol' tabloid type journalist/loose babblefish traslated media beat up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreer View Post
"Robby Gordon talks about entering the 2013 Dakar Rally after one of his competitors makes a comment about him and his HUMMER

PETERHANSEL COMMENTING ON ROBBY GORDON ENTERING THE 2013 DAKAR RALLY:

“This is a cheater born, we are here to compete, not for show race, and this is not the circus, even if it pleased the audience.”
“We must fight on equal terms, Robby Gordon must comply with the rules. If this is the case, it is welcome. Otherwise. Not!”

PETERHANSEL IS NOT ONLY CALLING YOU A CHEATER BUT CALLING YOU A SHOWMAN RATHER THAN A RACER, HOW DO YOU RESPOND TO THAT?

RG: I take that personal, the fact he is calling me a cheater or my team a cheater. We explained our system last year to A.S.O. at initial technical inspection and we did not change anything from that day of initial tech on our car until the day they saw our car, saying it wasn't legal. With all that said what Peterhansel needs to understand is this is the entertainment business and it is not just about racecars. If it was just about racecars we would all be driving diesel powered Mini’s and they would sound like a bunch of sewing machines.

WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO SAY ABOUT HIM TALKING ABOUT FIGHTING ON EQUAL TERMS?

RG: We are really excited to go to the Dakar, last year A.S.O. can say we were disqualified, but to be honest with you at the end of the day we finished 5th and it wasn’t worth fighting with them. So we'll except whatever we have to except, but in regards to Peterhansel and playing fair and square, we played by the rules A.S.O. told us we could play by last year and they came and inspected our cars for 2013 and we are ready for the challenge. Last year if you take out the stages I had to tow Al-Attiyah around we would have been easily ahead of Peterhansel at that point. This year our car is even better fine tuned, we’ve had more time to work on it. Even with the inflation disconnected last year, I want to remind Peterhansel that we beat him 10-15 minutes a day when we wanted to go. So he's going to have to tighten his seat belts and we are ready for the battle. There is STILL nothing Monster, about his Mini!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
I have to go with this too, but lets face it Peterhansel is being a bit of a girl too. The fact that he even rises to the bait I think is hilarious.
I think this could be a case of a journalist (with orange Hummer/US fan base sympathies),taking a comment (originally made in french), using a rough translation (out of context) to english... and putting a bit of a spin onto it in order to stir up a bit of controversy/hype amongst the natives around the announcement of Gordon's entry. Hell, it wouldn't even surprise me if it was the Speed showmans PR department that orchestrated it in the first place...!

It would be interesting to see what the original (french) quote... in context was... Quite possible it was not as confrontational at all... but now RG enterprises has a bit of good ol' fashioned US ass whoopin' patriotism stirred up to help him flog a few thousand of his brilliantly witty "US vs THEM" bumper stickers to the read (past tense), white and blew faithfull out there Nascarville...

Apparently this is showbusiness...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
Old 12-06-2012, 11:53 PM   #206
SafariBerg OP
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
hmm is there any verification that Peterhansel actually made those comments ??

sounds very unlike him and even more unlike X-Raid to release something like that

sounds more like cyber trash coming from a Robbie good old boy supporter
Old 12-06-2012, 11:55 PM   #207
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,410
Quote:
my thoughts exactly Garry also (see post above).

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
Old 12-07-2012, 12:23 AM   #208
ferals5
865+652

Oddometer: 999
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
I think this could be a case of a journalist (with orange Hummer/US fan base sympathies),taking a comment (originally made in french), using a rough translation (out of context) to english... and putting a bit of a spin onto it in order to stir up a bit of controversy/hype amongst the natives around the announcement of Gordon's entry. Hell, it wouldn't even surprise me if it was the Speed showmans PR department that orchestrated it in the first place...!

It would be interesting to see what the original (french) quote... in context was... Quite possible it was not as confrontational at all... but now RG enterprises has a bit of good ol' fashioned US ass whoopin' patriotism stirred up to help him flog a few thousand of his brilliantly witty "US vs THEM" bumper stickers to the read (past tense), white and blew faithfull out there Nascarville...

Apparently this is showbusiness...
Nailed it..

Quote:

sounds very unlike him and even more unlike X-Raid to release something like that

sounds more like cyber trash coming from a Robbie good old boy supporter
Nope,nothing , silence is deafening..except from robbieworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
my thoughts exactly Garry also (see post above).
Think a more than a few would agree...

Roll on dakar... i'm gunna miss the F5hose this year
Old 12-07-2012, 12:45 AM   #209
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
I was suspecting something similar...but it seems like Peterhansel said just that:

Quote:
"C'est un tricheur né, a-t-il déclaré à l'AFP. On est là pour une compétition, pas pour un show. La course, ce n'est pas le cirque, même si cela réjouit les spectateurs".

"Nous devons nous battre à armes égales", a ajouté Peterhansel, faisant référence au bricolage interdit opéré l'année dernière par l'Américain sur son moteur afin d'en augmenter la puissance, et qui lui avait valu d'être exclu de la compétition alors qu'il occupait la 2e place au classement général.

"Il faut que Robby Gordon respecte les règles. Si c'est le cas, il est bienvenu. Sinon...", a conclu le champion français, prêt à en découdre dès le départ dans les dunes du Pérou
source: liberation.fr

So AFP got a quote from Peterhansel, and he said "tricheur", "cheater".

What if both sides are enjoying the PR war?

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 12-07-2012, 12:54 AM   #210
Balkan Boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 845
It's too hard for me not to bring politics into this, so instead, here are some puppies.

Closed Thread