ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 12:44 AM   #331
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed
 
JMo (& piglet)'s Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Somewhere west of Laramie...
Oddometer: 3,093
I call bullshit too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo2002 View Post
It was a tyre deflation system, the vacuum is higher downstream of the intake restrictor.
Which I'm sure is 'technically' true, but really, how much faster do you have to deflate the tyres? - they regular system works perfectly well on anyone else's 2wd buggy or the trucks!

I agree with Amazing Ricardo - why would you dump air into the intake, unless [you hoped] it would offer some kind of performance gain?

Robbie took that gamble, and was caught out... and it's interesting to hear that there had been rumours around the paddock regarding his 'system' previously... perhaps Stephane Peterhansel wasn't so wide of the mark with his accusations after all?!

That said, I don't hold it against Robbie - it's fun to see the good ol'boy mentality racer up against the anodyne factory teams... they all do it to some extent or another, it's just you have to have a cast-iron excuse when you do get caught out...

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline  
Old 12-15-2012, 12:52 AM   #332
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed
 
JMo (& piglet)'s Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Somewhere west of Laramie...
Oddometer: 3,093
A nerd writes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pebble35 View Post
This was next to the GasGas at the Milan bike show. No mention of Yamaha .........

True, but the clue is in the spec sheet - who else [still] uses a five valve head?

Out of interest, here is a photo of the prototype from JVO earlier this year - at the time I wondered what bike/manufacturer it was for, now we know!



Pretty looking little thing isn't she... I mean the bike, not Lalia of course x

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline  
Old 12-15-2012, 04:34 AM   #333
tHEtREV
tEAM iDIOT
 
tHEtREV's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Middle Park, Brisbane, Australia
Oddometer: 6,888
Really shouldn't come as a surprise that it has a Yamaha engine, considering the Gas Gas EC450 uses the old carbed WR450 engine.
__________________
tEAM iDIOT.

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).
tHEtREV is online now  
Old 12-15-2012, 05:46 AM   #334
WIsixfitty
ceiling unlimited
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: west of road america
Oddometer: 2,007
I'm still fishing for a witty response.
__________________
sideways and smiling
WIsixfitty is offline  
Old 12-15-2012, 06:08 AM   #335
explodingmouse
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Adelaide
Oddometer: 186
Twas only mentioned just for the hallibut,
explodingmouse is offline  
Old 12-15-2012, 06:29 AM   #336
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b
 
Southest US Thumper's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: As Far South and West as you can get in the USA
Oddometer: 1,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
Really shouldn't come as a surprise that it has a Yamaha engine, considering the Gas Gas EC450 uses the old carbed WR450 engine.
And the EC250F the Five Valve WR250F engine.
__________________
It's the Most F5orite Time of the Year!!!
Southest US Thumper is offline  
Old 12-15-2012, 06:50 AM   #337
cross-country
.
 
cross-country's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Grand Junction, CO
Oddometer: 1,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
Which I'm sure is 'technically' true, but really, how much faster do you have to deflate the tyres? - they regular system works perfectly well on anyone else's 2wd buggy or the trucks!

I agree with Amazing Ricardo - why would you dump air into the intake, unless [you hoped] it would offer some kind of performance gain?

Robbie took that gamble, and was caught out... and it's interesting to hear that there had been rumours around the paddock regarding his 'system' previously... perhaps Stephane Peterhansel wasn't so wide of the mark with his accusations

Jx
Not really.
That pressure variable is very important to a vehicle like this. It is 2wd vehicle and dropping to a lower pressure IS very necessary for areas of low traction.
Imagine having to wait for several minutes every time you needed to put your car into four wheel drive. Now try to imagine that during a race.
Also, the volume of air (or whatever all the conspiracy theorists think he is hiding in his tires) that four 33" tires hold could only supply that size of an intake for a split second.
cross-country is online now  
Old 12-15-2012, 07:47 AM   #338
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed
 
JMo (& piglet)'s Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Somewhere west of Laramie...
Oddometer: 3,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by cross-country View Post
Not really.
That pressure variable is very important to a vehicle like this. It is 2wd vehicle and dropping to a lower pressure IS very necessary for areas of low traction.
Imagine having to wait for several minutes every time you needed to put your car into four wheel drive. Now try to imagine that during a race.
Also, the volume of air (or whatever all the conspiracy theorists think he is hiding in his tires) that four 33" tires hold could only supply that size of an intake for a split second.
CC - You mis-read what I said.

The 2wd vehicles (and trucks on all 4 wheels) have remote tyre inflation/deflation systems - for the very reason you state.

I was simply questioning why plumbing in the dump on the far side of the intake restrictor would offer any benefit over the regular system that just dumps air to the atmosphere, and which works perfectly quickly enough for all the other competitors...

As you suggest, we've ascertained that there was no discernible performance gain - since Robbie went just as fast (or faster) than he did before it was disconnected... but one still wonders WHY he did it in the first place, when clearly the rules state nothing can be plumbing in after the restrictor?

Unless he had a can of NOS hidden in one of his spare tyres perhaps!

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline  
Old 12-15-2012, 09:34 AM   #339
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer
 
Sparrowhawk's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Eastern Washington, USA
Oddometer: 1,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post

Unless he had a can of NOS hidden in one of his spare tyres perhaps!

Jx
That spare was given to RG by a mysterious man wearing a mustache.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Sparrowhawk is online now  
Old 12-15-2012, 09:56 AM   #340
RhodeHazard
ex halligan hooligan
 
RhodeHazard's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Off-Rhode Island
Oddometer: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
That spare was given to RG by a mysterious man wearing a mustache.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Theoretically the inflation system (filtered) could be left on with the deflation system also on, feeding the intake system with a fuel delivery that could adjust for the added air volume... just saying...

__________________
Ernie Young
'12-KTM-990adv '02-KTM-400exc '81-HONDA-XL185s
MotorBikeArtist.com motorcycle drawings * Turf & Surf: NE-NB 2011
RhodeHazard is offline  
Old 12-15-2012, 11:37 AM   #341
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer
 
beechum1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Herlong, CA. Look it up, I'll wait.
Oddometer: 7,172
That's a Moray
__________________
Rally Moto Kit /// Vendor Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline  
Old 12-15-2012, 12:06 PM   #342
amazing ricardo
Piste Off
 
amazing ricardo's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Perihelion of Mercury
Oddometer: 3,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post

....
As you suggest, we've ascertained that there was no discernible performance gain - since Robbie went just as fast (or faster) than he did before it was disconnected... but one still wonders WHY he did it in the first place, when clearly the rules state nothing can be plumbing in after the restrictor?

....
Jx
hmmm... i never suggested the 'system' offered 'no discernible performance gain'....

quite the opposite...
amazing ricardo is offline  
Old 12-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #343
Strong Bad
n00balicious
 
Strong Bad's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Oddometer: 3,687


Enough already!! No one here has seen the set up in person or let alone was involved and actually knows how it really worked. Additionally, no one here has a F'n clue if what the FIM thought it did or what Robby "admitted" it did was even close to what it actually did or how it worked.

Really people, enough bull shit speculation, move on.
__________________
"I couldn't wait for success, so I went ahead without it."
Strong Bad is offline  
Old 12-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #344
amazing ricardo
Piste Off
 
amazing ricardo's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Perihelion of Mercury
Oddometer: 3,543
...really...


amazing ricardo is offline  
Old 12-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #345
D.T.
One wheel wonder...
 
D.T.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Moneyapolis, MN
Oddometer: 9,289





2.5 more weeks!
__________________
Quote:
Originally posted by burgerking So?
Holland is about the most expensive country in Europe when it comes to bikes and fuel..Stop whining and go riding It's just money and you only live once...
D.T. is online now  
Closed Thread

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014