Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 07:10 AM   #991
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric678 View Post
Ok new to following this stuff here, so if we don't talk about fellow members I apologize in advance, So seeking wisdom of the elders, How do you guys and girls think Pyndon will do??
Hopefully finishes around 40-65

Faster and he could be considered to be risking his finish, slower and he risks getting caught by too many cars.

GO!!!! PYNDON

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Old 01-03-2013, 07:12 AM   #992
Jurassic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by tserts View Post
So, shall we start taking bets?

I say Despres will end up with a comfortable strategically earned +30m to +1h from the next guy, I say Chaleco if he finds the KTM to his liking (this will also ensure radio Maray will be a lot more fun to listen to), but really any of those guys mentioned earlier are capable of 2nd to 5th position, depending on withdrawals and navigation errors of the opposition. But I honestly don't see anyone putting pressure on CD, he will play the cards right and I say by rest day will have the cushion required in order to be cautious and methodical the last week...

I'm not a betting man, but I would put money where my mouth is for that guy... Remember that interview a couple of pages back he said that in about 95 entries in various rallies ha has finished 90 of them..
I think you're absolutely right with your assessment tserts. There's always the chance of the unexpected (mechanical catastrophe or getting stuck in a mud puddle) but Despres has to be red hot favourite for the win in my books.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:16 AM   #993
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Verhoeven spearheading Yamaha Dakar effort

"Frans Verhoeven, who has recently signed a two-year contract with Yamaha Motor Europe and Yamaha Motor Netherlands for the 2013 and 2014 Dakar Rally, is no stranger to the competition. His first Dakar experience was 2005, the Dutchman gradually increasing his experience to finish a career best of eighth in 2009. Verhoeven can also claim three stage victories along with two top three finishes in the 2012 Rally."

Old 01-03-2013, 07:20 AM   #994
ric678
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
Have any of the "Big" names started out as privateers?
Then got picked up by a big team?
Old 01-03-2013, 08:05 AM   #995
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Oddometer: 2,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic View Post
I think you're absolutely right with your assessment tserts. There's always the chance of the unexpected (mechanical catastrophe or getting stuck in a mud puddle) but Despres has to be red hot favourite for the win in my books.
Even for some serious holdup, if it happens early on the race, he has the ability to go flat out, and when he does that we have all seen him pulling inhuman times on the specials... I think he is the only one who can come back from a 2 hour deficit and throw it in your face in 3 days worth of ass-kicking... Even Coma is not that good under pressure, he usually makes nav errors but CD seems rock solid when he's on a mission...

Unrelated, I like Fretigne a lot, I bet he will anxious to get back on the tracks after the last years...
Peloponnese Peninsula on two Africa Twins
9 countries in 15 days - Tserts.eu
Old 01-03-2013, 08:14 AM   #996
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Well, depending on your definition of privateer I'd say Helder fits the bill nicely. IIRC, besides money and support from Redbull and Yamaha Portugal, didn't he ran a pretty small team and did most of the development on the bike himself. Has anyone else really done as much with as little as he has (relative to overall standings in races entered)? To me that's one of the very reasons this year's race will be so exciting as he has a lot of support behind him that he never enjoyed before. I say if the bike holds up he will definately be in the top three and if Cyril Duplos has a hiccup, Helder may find himself the first person to break the recent KTM stranglehold on the Dakar trophy.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #997
Mad Cow
Dakar Addict!

Oddometer: 546
Quote:

Yes that happened to a certain Parisien motorcycle mechanic who first rode on a Honda XR450

What was his name again?................

Oh Yeah! Cyril Despres

From the interplanetary webulator...

Quote:
For most simply finishing the Dakar Rally is a formidable task. Cyril Despres has not only finished the World’s toughest rally event but also claimed four incredible victories, making him one of the most successful rally riders ever. After a winter selling wine to fund his first Dakar attempt in 2000, Cyril finished 16th overall on a borrowed Honda XR450. Snapped up by BMW the following year, he claimed his first stage win on route to 12th overall. Three more stage victories came in 2003 before winning his first rally in 2005 with KTM. The rest, as they say, is history.

MY BLOG

Mad Cow screwed with this post 01-03-2013 at 01:22 PM
Old 01-03-2013, 08:32 AM   #998
ric678
Studly Adventurer

Ok, thanks for the replies, As a noob to this just trying to get some more info as to how things can work
Old 01-03-2013, 08:35 AM   #999
KASUYAHO
Road Hog

Oddometer: 3,497
Will team orders come into play

Will team tactics come into play in the first 7 days.

HRC coming back into Dakar and other teams stepping it up with support,
it really is not a one horse race anymore.
That being KTM.

Example Senario:
HRC tell for example JC to get on it,
the others KTM Yamaha have to go chase.
Then the main rider of HRC conserves himself
and the bike till the run into the finish.
By doing that it keeps pressure on the KTM Yamaha riders
all the way.

Is that a possibility ?
Old 01-03-2013, 08:35 AM   #1000
Mad Cow
Dakar Addict!

Regarding Lyndon, I think he could do well as long as his foot holds up OK.

Whilst he is a Dakar rookie, he has ridden in a number of disciplines from Road Race, Super Moto to the Baja. In UK Rally Racing in 2011 (his first year) he was posting similar times on a 950 Adventure as Craig Bounds was on a BMW 650X Challenge (and later a Husky 630) and we are not talking wide open deserts here but often the tight and technical forests of Wales etc. In 2012 he was usually just a blur and a cloud of dust (or mud) on the 450RR to us "also rans"

His preparation is meticulous and I think he has the perfect mental attitude for Dakar, he certainly won't be giving in easily. And he has a secret weapon in the shape of his mechanic (his Dad) backed up by the Front Row GB Team.

So no I don't think he will be challenging Cyril et al but if it all holds together, I think he has an excellent chance of finishing.

On some of the other Brits

Boundsy has again been showing us all a clean pair of heels this year but does have the handicap of running in Malle Moto but has a good head, has been there before and is quick, so as long as he stays the right way up he should get through it OK.

Stan Watt was a bit disapointed with his result last year, not liking the fast and non-technical early stages, so the "straight into the dunes" approach may suit him better. Last year he was talking of top twenty, this might be the year he gets it.

But of course this is the Dakar so who knows?

MY BLOG
Old 01-03-2013, 08:40 AM   #1001
Mad Cow
Dakar Addict!

Quote:
Ok, thanks for the replies, As a noob to this just trying to get some more info as to how things can work
You're welcome, although I've been a Dakar addict for years, I was an F5 rookie last year and know what it's like!

So it's always worth asking the questions, nobody will mind and there's no such thing as a stupid question.....

Possibly plenty of stupid answers though

MY BLOG
Old 01-03-2013, 08:42 AM   #1002
Jurassic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
You came to the right place ric678, there's more knowledge amongst the big hitting F5ers than you can shake a melted mousse at!
Old 01-03-2013, 08:45 AM   #1003
Dekatria
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Oddometer: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by KASUYAHO View Post
Will team tactics come into play in the first 7 days.

HRC coming back into Dakar and other teams stepping it up with support,
it really is not a one horse race anymore.
That being KTM.

Example Senario:
HRC tell for example JC to get on it,
the others KTM Yamaha have to go chase.
Then the main rider of HRC conserves himself
and the bike till the run into the finish.
By doing that it keeps pressure on the KTM Yamaha riders
all the way.

Is that a possibility ?
Secretly I'm hoping for a Yamaha-Honda corporated effort against the Orange armada
Old 01-03-2013, 08:48 AM   #1004
ric678
Studly Adventurer

Whit my little knowledge I think sending out a fast rider to try and get riders to make mistakes would only work if the other Teams thought he could sustain that pace, I'm sure the big teams have a list of who to watch out for and who to chase if they start getting away
Old 01-03-2013, 08:49 AM   #1005
barrier
Says who?

Oddometer: 495
Paul Jay

Brit Paul Jay ready for D Day!