Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #31
crazybrit OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,545
Hmmn, so the reply I got back from K&B was: "Sorry, We sent you the latest design. If you would like the older version please ship yours back and we will make a new one".

I assume from this that the design of the 220mm (link in 1st post) has changed and the picture is inaccurate

I wonder why they would make such a change as my feeling mirrors everyone else, that it won't cool itself as efficiently. I asked them, we shall see what they say.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:54 AM   #32
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
I wonder why they would make such a change....
$

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #33
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,149
So the new design is going backwards?
I prefer the "old" by the look of things but.... I don't like the hole/slots pattern. Looks like it creates weak spots on the rotor.

As far as the hole and how they are supposed to clean the surface/pads... That's not why the holes where made. Originally, the pads compound emitted gas when heated up but it's wasn't that much of a problem that required holes (for street use. It did in racing environments). The real problem was in wet conditions, when associating water with this gas, breaking performance were really affected as the rotor was subject to gas/water cushioning effect where the brake pads would lose efficiency. So it was truly designed for the track then trickled down to the street models/application.

Brake pads compounds have changed radically. The holes have stayed for heat issues (as we discussed here). That's it
Old 04-06-2012, 11:07 AM   #34
crazybrit OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikyto View Post
So the new design is going backwards?
I prefer the "old" by the look of things but.... I don't like the hole/slots pattern. Looks like it creates weak spots on the rotor.
Which "old"?

I had the same thought (weak spots) about the one pictured on their ebay listing.

What I'd actually prefer is a 240mm version of the 220mm I bought from them a few years back, see picture on post 24. It's an almost exact clone of the KTM rotor in the fiche, I wonder if they got a call from the KTM lawyers so they then came up with the design of the current eBay ad but it had issues, so they came up with the latest one they sent me.

Quote:
As far as the hole and how they are supposed to clean the surface/pads... That's not why the holes where made.
I know. I never said it was. uk_mouse claimed this.

crazybrit screwed with this post 04-06-2012 at 11:17 AM
Old 04-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #35
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
Which "old"?

I had the same thought (weak spots) about the one pictured on their ebay listing.

What I'd actually prefer is a 240mm version of the 220mm I bought from them a few years back, see picture on post 24. It's an almost exact clone of the KTM rotor in the fiche, I wonder if they got a call from the KTM lawyers so they then came up with the design of the current eBay ad but it had issues, so they came up with the latest one they sent me.
By old I was referring to the link you posted on the first page.

Yes the Ktm-like design would be my choice as well.
Yet I doubt they'd have any issues with lawyers. You could offset the holes by 1mm and call it a new design. Like the inmate above said, probably a $ related change.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #36
crazybrit OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yes the Ktm-like design would be my choice as well.
I'll have to talk to them. If they are willing to make a 240mm version of the one pictured in post 24 that i think would be the best option. Not sure what the second best option is, depends on the reason for the latest redesign, whether it was cost or whether there was design issue.

Quote:
Yet I doubt they'd have any issues with lawyers. You could offset the holes by 1mm and call it a new design. Like the inmate above said, probably a $ related change.
I can see how the latest design (that I received) could be cheaper to produce but I'm not seeing where the cost differences would be between the one pictured on their eBay listing and the one pictured on post 24.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #37
stevodadevo
What happened?

Oddometer: 177
I was wondering where you ended up on this. I'm in need of a new rotor as well but not a "solid" design like you received.
stevodadevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #38
crazybrit OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevodadevo View Post
I was wondering where you ended up on this. I'm in need of a new rotor as well but not a "solid" design like you received.
He'll make me the one currently pictured on the current eBay listing but has ignored my question as to why the design changed. I just asked the question again more forcefully knowing there is now the potential for things to go pear-shaped.

It would be interesting to see what a 220mm version of the latest design looks like, I can't help thinking that 20mm of solid material was added to the outside to form the 240mm rather than everything being scaled accordingly. So a 220mm version of it may be more sensible and a 240mm remake of a different design equally flawed

So basically lots of questions and no answers.

crazybrit screwed with this post 04-10-2012 at 05:36 PM
Old 04-11-2012, 09:00 AM   #39
stevodadevo
What happened?

Ok, thanks.

I'm going to order one and I'll report back with my experience.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:29 AM   #40
stevodadevo
What happened?

He just replied and said he would need a few days to fab it up. I'm trying to confirm whether he will be making the solid type or the properly slotted type.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:35 AM   #41
crazybrit OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevodadevo View Post
He just replied and said he would need a few days to fab it up. I'm trying to confirm whether he will be making the solid type or the properly slotted type.
He just replied to me also. Refuses to discuss design changes. Provided return address, will credit me return shipping and will make what is pictured on eBay listing (previous design). So I guess I will attach a note saying it has to be 240mm and look exactly like what was pictured on eBay scaled to 240mm, not the 220mm version with 20mm of extra solid material added to the edge.

I would not recommend dealing with them.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #42
stevodadevo
What happened?

I had the same problem. He just replied to my third request for the design information.

"We understand you want the one listed!!!!!!"

I think he gets it now.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #43
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,548
I have found a local water-jet guy to cut out the rotor I need, so my need is filled without having to go this route thankfully.

Brit, what would be the big problem if he DID just add 20mm to the outside diameter of the old design? You would only be talking about 10mm added to the outside of each side of the rotor, which is what, 3/8"? The pads would still ride mostly on slotted rotor, getting the cooling benefit of the slots.

If he had my money and he just sent me the old design style and added 20mm to the outside of it, I'd run it.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #44
crazybrit OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
Brit, what would be the big problem if he DID just add 20mm to the outside diameter of the old design? You would only be talking about 10mm added to the outside of each side of the rotor, which is what, 3/8"? The pads would still ride mostly on slotted rotor, getting the cooling benefit of the slots.
If he'd sent this originally, I expect it would have been fine. He didn't. Instead he sent a totally different design where the pads ride 100% on solid rotor.

Anyways, since he says he'll make a 240mm version of the one pictured, which is what I expected when I ordered I'm now expecting it to be properly scaled to 240mm. Had he been more open to answering reasonable questions then I'd have maybe been more flexible but I'm leaning towards a point of principle now

crazybrit screwed with this post 04-11-2012 at 11:38 AM
Old 04-21-2012, 09:07 PM   #45
stevodadevo
What happened?

Got the new disc and it looks good. I'm happy with it.